Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Recipes from back home - Chinese Takeaway Style Curry Sauce Goto page 1, 2  Next
Recipes from back home - Chinese Takeaway Style Curry Sauce 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

I know this section is actually headed "Cypriot Recipes" but having been on this board long enough I know those in Cyprus miss some of the things you used to get back home.... So here is one I perfected last night (its been an on going thing for several months/years until I could get it spot on)

Chinese Takeaway style curry sauce
Steve Lister

Not the normal way of making a curry sauce but to get the "authentic" sauce you find in Chinese takeaways/Chippy's then you need to adjust, as they tend to use a pre-made block of sauce concentrate with thickeners and other ingredients already in it!

Ingredients
2 medium sized onions (finely diced)
1 inch cube of fresh ginger (finely diced)
1 small mild chilli (finely diced)
3-5 cloves of garlic (crushed/finely diced)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fenugreek powder (ground seeds)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp cloves
2 tsp fennel seeds
8-10 star anise (the full star shape)
1 veg stockpot/cube
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
400ml Coconut milk light (1 can)
2 coffee mugs of water
75ml olive oil
2-3 tbsp plain flour

Method
In a large pan soften the onions in the olive oil until golden brown.
add and soften the chilli, ginger and garlic.
Grind the spices using an electric grinder/blender (thats sugar, fenugreek, turmeric, celery salt, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds and star anise) until you get a fine powder.
Add the spice mix to the onions and allow to cook in for a few minutes
add the Worcestershire sauce and stockpot/cube and cook in
Stir in the flour so it dries up the mix (add a little more if needed) and cook for a minute while stirring
Add the water a little at a time (like making a bechamel sauce) then using a stick blender purée it (or transfer to a jug blender but be careful with hot liquids)
add coconut milk and stir well in, cook on a medium simmmer until nicely thickened (keep going back to stir, should take about an hour)

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Ryan&Marie
Pictures: 0

it looks like it just come out of a nappy, hope it tastes better

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
AskCy

Rolling Eyes yes it tastes just like a curry sauce from a Chinese takeaway !

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
mot man
Pictures: 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the recipe I couldn't resist trying it even though I didn't have 2 of the ingredients (fenugreek or celery salt).
Must say it tasted very good, even without the missing spices, I will try to locate the two and make some more.
As I am not a great lover of coconut i may try replacing some of the coconut milk with cream.
Once again thanks Steve, very tasty.

Roy

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
JimPernera
Pictures: 8

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what we've been looking for, for some time - are you psychic or something? We'll give it a try. Regards, Jim.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
AskCy

I aim to please !... LOL Laughing

you could put just (double) cream instead of coconut milk but might not need quite as much... fenugreek might be called "methi" depending on where you look (you might also find it as seeds which you can grind up)

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
mot man

Steve,

Thaks for the additional info regarding spices.
Cheers,

Roy

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
carollynne
Pictures: 12

Roy
I bought Fenugreek in the new Discount 10 shop, just by Orfanides Very Happy they've got loads of spices there, only about 60c each Smile

Carol
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
mot man

Hi Carol,

Thanks for that, just my luck Lesley was there yesterday shopping.
I will despatch her instantly on this quest, well when she is not earning Laughing Laughing
I heard we are supposed to be getting this store in the village, someone mentioned Faros area.

Roy

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
AskCy

how near to Orphanadies?... I usually stock up on Cypriot Spice when I'm out there (which means a long walk from Pernera)... can someone draw me a map please ! Very Happy

Steve

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
AskCy

Just a thought, if you need more of a step by step guide its been added to my favourite Indian Cuisine recipe site (yes I know, but its also full of other recipes like lasagne, stifado, veg soup etc)

Chinese Curry Sauce like you get from the takeaway There are step by step pictures added !

Steve

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
AskCy

oh and here is an earlier attempt at making it but used "chinese five spice" which all vary depending on manufacturer etc so I carried on with futher attemps until I got it from single spices etc..

Chinese Chicken Curry - takeaway style

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
carollynne

mot man wrote:
Hi Carol,

I will despatch her instantly on this quest, well when she is not earning Laughing Laughing
I heard we are supposed to be getting this store in the village, someone mentioned Faros area.

Roy

Discount 10 are opening right next door to Socoriky Very Happy Very Happy that empty shop unit, they've got signs up already Laughing

Carol
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
mot man

Thank you Carol you are the font of all knowledge, I pass there almost daily and never noticed anything Shocked Shocked .
Just one last thing, could you please let me know when Dimitris the Optitian is opened, as I think it could be time.

Roy Big Smile

Last edited by mot man on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
carollynne

AskCy wrote:
how near to Orphanadies?... I usually stock up on Cypriot Spice when I'm out there (which means a long walk from Pernera)... can someone draw me a map please ! Very Happy

Steve

Sorry Steve, I should have mentioned its Orfanides, Larnaca Embarassed now that is a long walk from Pernera Laughing

Roy,

Maria is at the opticians every morning from 10 till 1 to take appointments, and Dimitri is there every evening from 5.30 ish. If you pop in after 6 I'm sure he will see to you without an appointment. Very Happy

HTH

Carollynne

Carollynne

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
mot man

Carol,
If I cannot see a shop with a sign on it on the route I go on every day, there is no way I will see Dimitri ha ha

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
AskCy

ah ! a very long walk indeed !.... Laughing

Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
KK
Pictures: 0

Hi Askcy, with all your lovely receipes, and especially the way you described making your lasagne (the reply with regarding Chinese Restaurants - especially jade Garden) have you not thought of having a wee place somewhere ?!
Diane
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #19   PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
yhztolca

carollynne wrote:
mot man wrote:
Hi Carol,

Roy

Discount 10 are opening right next door to Socoriky Very Happy Very Happy that empty shop unit, they've got signs up already Laughing

Carol

Where is this one located?? I go to the one by Orhpanadies and also the one by La Stampa.. I tend to visit both on the same day as they often have some different bits in each shop.

Ta!!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #20   PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
carollynne

Hi

It hasn't opened yet, but has got the stickers on the window. It's in Pervolia, go through the village, past the Chinese, past Tony's Bar & Grill and its the first turning on the right, just on the corner Very Happy

BTW the shop is bigger than the one by Orfanides, but I haven't been to La Stampa one yet so, we'll see what they've got Laughing

Carol
Recipes from back home - Chinese Takeaway Style Curry Sauce 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music