Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » BarBela Dhekalia Rd Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post: #21   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
djdrh
Pictures: 0

Tina.....
Have just read your post with great interest and feel that you still have a very one sided view of this (which of course is your right) BUT lets look at this in a more rounded view

Whilst I agree underage drinking is a very big problem and im sure I would be more worried if I had daughters (and not sons)

DonnaA was very angry / upset that HER daughter came home Bladdered
and whilst she stated she knew kids as young as 14 were being served........how did she know ???? Probably told this from her very hung over daughter who was maybe feeling a little ashamed and trying to spread the blame around

Her Daughter is 17, SHE knows it is illeagal to go into a bar and drink

you keep quoting the law

SHE BROKE THE LAW

You also say that even adults cannot make sensible choices under the influence of vast quantities of alcohol which is correct but still doesnt explain Why this young girl just did not say NO THANKS before she got hammered

You Also mention the Bars reputation as a reason for not attending.......OK so the bar has / had a reputation, However perhaps thats why the owner has brought in a new manager and a new DJ / Host and new barstaff (All of us English ex pats BTW) to try and change things.....Barbela was once a typical Cypriot PUB if you get my meaning but wanted to change this which is one of the reasons I was offered the Job of entertainment......SO realisticly Wednesday was the opening night and past reputations should be forgotton untill you have tried the New Barbela.......Even though there are still some things to iron out (obviously)

On behalf of the owner / Manager I would like to appologise to DonnaA and her Husband , for her Daughters condition even though I doubt we were the only bar involved.

I actually Think I know the girl in Question as she may have been the one found sitting on the floor of the ladies toilet (by my mother aged 74) and helped downstairs and outside onto a patio chair

On Wednesday night the Majority of people were aged well over 40 with maybe a dozen or so young uns including several service lads from Dhekalia (who I think this girls was with)

I will not (warn) The Owner as suggested but I will suggest to him that if he wants to have a succesful Bar he needs to change his dealings with the young

Finally Tina I have also worked in Napa for the last 5 years (and still do on occasion) and I know almost every bar and club owner there.......

And believe me .......... No Matter what they say........They ALL do it
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote
yhztolca
Pictures: 1

Quote:

I have lived in Napa quite a long time now and actually live amongst club owners who are friends and neighbours. In fact, in discussion with two of them last night, they're a little disgusted that not only 14yr olds are getting admittance and served alcohol in such bars but are CONTINUED to be served and NOT REFUSED when their intoxicated state is obvious. As one club owner said, some bars want custom at any cost and are willng to take the risk, sod the consequence! Worse is yet to come as the problem spirals because of the credit crunch.

Bar owners in Napa have been letting underage "kids" into their nightclubs for years!! this is our 2nd posting to Cyprus and have been here for a total of about 7 years now.. Every time my partner and I go to Napa the clubs are packed with kids of all ages and I know for a FACT even 13 year olds were clubbing and drinking last summer. So it's not just this bar, I'm sure if you put a 14 year old in some fancy clothes, and if they act a little older most bars would serve them.

Oh and on the topic of free shots... saying what reason do bars give away free shots?? It's to keep your business!!!!! Any business person will know, if you treat your customers happy and give them anything for free (and i do mean ANYTHING inc peanuts popcorn drinks etc etc) you will keep your customers. Let me ask you this question... Have you ever gone for a nice meal and at the end of your dinner you get a sambucca shot, or a brandy shot etc etc?? What is their reasoning?? Are they trying to get you pissed and take advantage of You?? No! It's custom here in Cyprus and it's their way of saying thank you.

I do think this thread has got a little out of control, and I wasn't aware your daughter was 17.. At 17 she should be responsible for her own actions, and solely pointing a finger at a bar for your daughters silly mistake is just wrong.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #23   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
DonnaA

Thank you for all of your responses.....

As I have said from the outset, I am not just accusing BarBela, all of the bars along the strip serve alcohol to underage kids. My point is and always was that no ID checks are made at all - of course the kids are going to drink the alcohol if it is served to them - at the end of the day, most kids think it is cool and very funny to get bladdered. Offering free drinks to kids is, in my opinion, very irresponsible.

DJ.... yes, my daughter does know what she did was wrong, and as I''ve said before, this is the first time she has ever come home like this, so she is sensible. She does not want to feel the way she felt yesterday for a very long time.

The point is YOU and YOUR bar and ALL the other bars along the strip break the law on a weekly basis by serving alcohol to these kids! And no, it wasn't my daughter that told me of other kids being drunk - I see it with my own eyes everytime I pick her up from her one night a week out - normally it is a Friday night. So yes, I am a responsible parent, who allows her daughter out one night a week, which she is quite happy with - I always pick her up at a pre arranged time - I find your attutude a little odd - maybe as you say, if you had daughters rather than sons you would understand where I was coming from.

I appreciate your apology and no, BarBela was not the only bar involved. However BarBela was the ONLY bar that freely gave out free shots! Judging by the state she was in when she called me to pick her up, I am summising that the free shots pushed her over the edge - especially as the free shots were sambouca, and this then mixed her drinks - you and I both know how that can make a bad situation into a very bad situation.

All I am asking for is that bar and club owners act responsibly. ID checks should be mandatory when it is not clear how old the person is. It shouldn't cause embarrasment to anyone if they have nothing to hide. I am not a kiljoy who doesn't enjoy a good night out, I just think that a bit more responsibility goes a very long way in making a bar/club have the kind of reputation that they clearly wish to aspire to, and will then surely make them a success?

Post: #24   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
DonnaA

'I actually Think I know the girl in Question as she may have been the one found sitting on the floor of the ladies toilet (by my mother aged 74) and helped downstairs and outside onto a patio chair '

And just for the record - no that wasn't my daughter. Confused

Post: #25   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
djdrh

Hi donna
I have been thinking over this for a couple of hours
If your daughter was with the group of 4 girls and 3 young service lads then they were given 1 free shot by me and it wasnt for clapping the DJ it was for taking part in the entertainment in order to create a better atmosphere.
Perhaps other shots were given when she or one of her friends or one of the lads ordered a drink ( i dont know)
I do know that of the 7 or 8 young adults there most were still up dancing and having a good time at 2am and none of them looked hammered apart from 1 who had thrown up in the toilets and down the stairs AND was refused service from then on.
As I said i will endevour to promote to the bar staff they ask for ID if at all suspicious

As stated very well by yhztolca it is common practice in cyprus to offer free shots as it is common practice to serve anyone who looks the age

A couple of final questions donna (and i do not mean to be rude) did you ever drink alcohol in a bar before you were 18 ?

I did and its not through wisdom or expeirience that I no longer get in a drunken state, its because i know that to much alcohol turns most people into D***heads

Now at times I haver been called that but I dont need alcohol to do it

Finally You say you let your daughter out with friends usually on fridays and as a responsible parent you pick her up.......I that case you MUST know she frequents bars and if not then it is you who is niaive But thats not really your complaint is it ?????

Its the fact she Drank so much and felt so rough......So basically you are ok with underage drinking in moderation

Hope your daughter feels a little better

Post: #26   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
DonnaA

She feels much better today thank you DJ....

My daughter was with the group you are speaking of - she called me at 12.45am to come and pick her up as she felt unwell. I appreciate your efforts in trying to get the bar staff to ask for ID if suspicious in future - this is all I and a number of other parents have ever wanted. I appreciate it is a very difficult situation and that most young 'adults' look a lot older than they are, but as I said before, asking for ID should not cause a problem if they have nothing to hide. And, at the end of the day, it is protecting your livelihood.

In answer to your question, no I didn't drink alcohol in a bar before I was 18, but that was mainly due to me be a competitive swimmer and too heavily into training. However, I'm not saying I haven't made up for it since Laughing

Post: #27   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:47 am Reply with quote
djdrh

Donna
Heres a suggestion
Perhaps you and your Husband would like to come next wednesday and bring your daughter with you

In this way you can demonstrate to her how a resonsible adult acts and that you dont need a shed load of booze to have a good night out

The first one is on me (No joke intended)

Post: #28   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Hi all,

Some interesting comments and I would agree with Donna that it should
be a prerequisite that ID should be asked for in all bars/clubs where there
is any doubt over age.

It would only take one serious incident for the bar owners to find themselves
liable and in court - it shouldn't need to go that far.

BTW djdrh am I correct in thinking that you and lolly1101 are somehow related?

Cheers

Steve

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
djdrh

Hi steve
Yes she is
My wife in Fact
She has been serving behind the bars of Napa for the past 5 years and is regarded by most of the bar owners as one of the best bar people there as almost everyone who returns to napa seeks her out
I did not ask her to post but when she read the views she felt Barbela was being singled out and without actually saying that almost every bar in Cyprus does this, wanted to try and diffuse the thread
BUT
Alls well that ends well and the manager has promised me he will be carding suspicious looking individuals in future so

BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID

Post: #30   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
Tina Torment

yhztolca wrote:
Bar owners in Napa have been letting underage "kids" into their nightclubs for years!!

You're obviously not condoning it so you must agree it needs to be stopped.

yhztolca wrote:
So it's not just this bar, I'm sure if you put a 14 year old in some fancy clothes, and if they act a little older most bars would serve them.

Exactly. I did say in my posts bars plural. So you agree that ID checks are necessary to determine age otherwise children will slip through the door.

yhztolca wrote:
Let me ask you this question... Have you ever gone for a nice meal and at the end of your dinner you get a sambucca shot, or a brandy shot etc etc?? What is their reasoning?? Are they trying to get you pissed and take advantage of You?? No! It's custom here in Cyprus and it's their way of saying thank you.

Think you have gotten yourself a bit confused here. This isn't about one free drink after eating a big meal which will not have the same effect as constantly drinking free shots and probably on empty, young stomachs. Any adult knows the effect of drinking on an empty stomach but children do not have that wisdom.....any parent knows this.

djdrh wrote:
Tina.....
Have just read your post with great interest and feel that you still have a very one sided view of this

Damn right I do. Ever seen a young kid who has died from alcohol poisoning. I have and it will live with me. He was just 16yrs, the same age as my son. I can still see his Newcastle tattoo on his spindly little arms.

No excuses......STOP ALLOWING KIDS TO DRINK......end of!!!

djdrh wrote:
Her Daughter is 17, SHE knows it is illegal to go into a bar and drink. you keep quoting the law

Damn right I do. Spent far too many years help prosecute and revoke alcohol licenses to idot bar owners who thought they were above the law.

djdrh wrote:
SHE BROKE THE LAW

Yep, but....erm.....the point is she is STILL a child and will be treated as such in a court of law. Who do you think will be prosecuted? I'll give you a clue and it isn't Donna's young daughter.

djdrh wrote:
doesn't explain Why this young girl just did not say NO THANKS before she got hammered

I'll clarify, SHE'S A CHILD!!!! Any parent knows children are easily tempted and so are vulnerable which is why the law protects them.

djdrh wrote:
OK so the bar has / had a reputation

So the owner knew he was breaking the law.

djdrh wrote:
(All of us English ex pats BTW)

Eh? Why should nationality matter? What's the inference?

djdrh wrote:
Wednesday was the opening night and past reputations should be forgotton

Wait for it...........here comes the contradiction:

djdrh wrote:
I actually Think I know the girl in Question as she may have been the one found sitting on the floor of the ladies toilet (by my mother aged 74) and helped downstairs and outside onto a patio chair

djdrh wrote:
maybe a dozen or so young uns I

So no change and especially on Wednesday opening night despite you admitting the owner is aware of the past history, bad reputation and illegal actions of his bar.

djdrh wrote:
I do know that of the 7 or 8 young adults

djdrh wrote:
1 who had thrown up in the toilets and down the stairs AND was refused service from then on.

Too little too late. And they weren't young adults, they were children.

djdrh wrote:
As stated very well by yhztolca it is common practice in Cyprus to offer free shots as it is common practice to serve anyone who looks the age

Thank you. You agree that ID checks are necessary.

djdrh wrote:
I no longer get in a drunken state, its because I know that to much alcohol turns most people into D***heads

I'm sure the parent's of the dead teenager mentioned will agree but unfortunately, their child will never be able to rectify his childish mistake. Alcohol can and does kill.

djdrh wrote:
Finally Tina I have also worked in Napa for the last 5 years (and still do on occasion) and I know almost every bar and club owner there. And believe me .......... No Matter what they say........They ALL do it

Another admittance.

Lol! You obviously do not know them well enough then. My neighbour was sick and tired of drunken kids slipping through his doors and the ensuing trouble so he did something about it. Ever heard of Allied Security.......tell ya' boss about them.

djdrh wrote:
Yes she is My wife in Fact

Lol! A totally unbiased view?

djdrh wrote:
she felt Barbela was being singled out and without actually saying that almost every bar in Cyprus does this, wanted to try and diffuse the thread

And as this is your livelyhoods at stake, she felt the need to give a totally unbiased opinion and forgot to mention her connection to you, bless?

No need to diffuse anything. It is morally wrong, irresponsible, illegal and dangerous to sell alcohol to kids. I'm sorry if I seem harsh but the law is there for a reason and to justify selling alcohol to underage kids just to keep a job is not an honourable thing to do especially if it can result in the death of a child. I'm sure nobody would want that on their conscience?

Last edited by Tina Torment on Sat May 02, 2009 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Post: #31   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
J.Ryan

Hi, DonnaA is my mum. Just thought i would stop the confusion on here.. Yes, wednesday night i made a mistake, but i dont think Barbella is to blame!! It wasnt just Barbella that gave me a free shot, it was another bar aswel, which im not naming. I think people need to find out the age for drinking out here, as ive been told by different people its 17, and others 18.. So can some one find out please? Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #32   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
Tina Torment

Aww bless, Jade, how's ya noggin (head) today, pet?

As for age, it depends on the policy of the bar/club as some will not allow anyone in under 21 but usually it's 18.....

Live and learn by ya' mistakes and never ever drink as much as us lol! Takes years of hard training............

Post: #33   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
J.Ryan

My head is much better thankyou Tina Very Happy Ive been told by some bars that the age is 17? There is only 1 bar and Dhekelia road that i know for a fact is 18, the rest i know as 17.. Confused Yesss, i have definatly learnt from my mistake.. till my 18th birthday that is anyway Wink
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #34   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
J.Ryan

Oh, and isnt Agia Napa 18? Confused

Post: #35   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
J.Ryan

I mean 17.. haha Laughing [/b]

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
djdrh

Hi Jade
Good to see you again last night (thought you were only allowed out once a week) Dont want another ear bashing from your mum..........

Well, after reading your post Tina I did the research and the results can be found here

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

It is Leagal to enter a bar and consume alcohol at 17

It is also Legal to enter a club at 16 but not buy alcohol

SO TINA.....in your own words

END OF

PS. I did find something very interesting in my research though

It is illeagal to tattoo anyone under the age of 18 (even in the north east of England "PET")

Post: #37   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
J.Ryan

To be honest, i am only ment to be out once a week, but i was being a 'selfish cow' last night and i came out anyway against what my mum had said.. but thats a different story!
Well i suppose as long as i bring my ID out with me from now on, im fine with getting into clubs/bars and having a couple of drinks.. but im not drinking like i did on wednesday, didnt enjoy that, and im certainly not dumb enough to do it again for a very long time!! Laughing Cool

Post: #38   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
DonnaA

Thank you for your claryfing your going out last night Jade - don't want DJ to be thinking I am a completely irresponsible parent Smile DJ your sarcastic comment is not funny, please don't try and make light of a serious situation. I was not and have not been giving YOU an earbashing personally.

Irrespective of whether it is 17 or not, the actions of ALL of the bars along the strip is irresponsible and that is the point I have been making all along. OK so Jade is 17 and in your opinion is legally entitled to drink, what about the others that are not 17!!!! And I'm not just stating BarBela, I am talking about ALL of the bars on the strip.

And for the record I have just spoken with a very good friend of mine who runs a well know bar on Larnaca seafront - the legal age to buy and consume alcohol on any licensed premisies is 18, this is stated on the licensing application.

I am tired of this now - its seems I am fighting a losing battle. Try and be a responsible parent and I get shouted down, likewise, if I was a completely irresponsible parent, I'd get shouted down - can't win whichever way I turn. I just hope that WHEN a serious incident occurs in any one of these bars the owners/employees are able to live with their conscience. I suspect however that it will be the parent that is blamed for allowing their child to go out!

Post: #39   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
J.Ryan

Everyone is saying different ages, so how about we find out from the law? Anyone able to find the true age? Dont really fancy going out with my ID, showing it, and then being told its 18.. Would be a bit embarrasing to be honest Embarassed

Post: #40   PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
djdrh

Hi Donna
My reply was not meant as Sarcastic (it was actually jade who used the word earbashing to me)

Also it was not MY opinion I found the link on drinking ages and posted it (please see my previous post)

I too have just phoned a friend who has owned a bar in Napa for 20 years and nowhere on his licence does it state an age.....even he was unsure....

The laws in Cyprus are so different to other countries.....How often have you heard "This is Cyprus my friend" and the laws that are enforced are always loosly interpreted....Take the no smoking law............

In cyprus you are also classed as an Adult at 15+ (I checked)

Whilst most English people can spout English Law lets not Forget

"THIS IS CYPRUS" and sadly some of the rules do not apply

Personaly I dont think you are an iresponsible parent because at 17 we all think we are adults and we dont always think mum knows best

OH BTW....It was jade sat on the toilet floor and helped out by my mother....It only takes 1 drink to get you drunk.....you can feel great after a certain ammount ...then 1 more and your gone

Rest assured Jade will never get bladdered in Barbella again but I cant speak for the other bars
BarBela Dhekalia Rd 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area