Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » cardiac care
cardiac care 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59
Pictures: 0

Hi everyone!

I am now suffering from aarhythmia ( Atrial fibrillation ), but it is paroxysmic ( I go in and out of it!).

This means my heart rhythm becomes unpredictable, and my heart goes too fast or too slowly, and is also erratic. On its own this is not too serious, and some folk do not even know they have it, but, unfortunately for me I have a seriously damaged heart due to having had rheumatic fever as a child and needed aortic valve replacement in Sept. 2000 and also having a mitral valve leaking too.

This new complication reared its ugly head at the end of July this year, and I have been rushed in via A&E 5 times since then. I am from N. Ireland but even managed to see the inside of The Luton and Dunstable Hospital in Sept as I became ill as I was about to board a flight to Larnaca!!

Anyway, what I would like to know is do any of you folk know what the cardiac services are like in the Kapparis area. Is there a properly manned and equipped emergency ambulance with on board trained personnel? Does The Famagusta Hospital have a cardiac care unit with trained staff?

Unfortunately, I could not afford private health care if my husband and I went to stay in the area for a few months at a time. We do own a property in Kapparis, and have done for 5 years, and until this year I have been able to go over and use the house and stay on my own, but I am afraid to do this next year unless I can feel confident of good professional care. My husband had hoped too retire next year, and we even considered retiring to Cyprus, but the credit crunch has hit us badly.

Any information or helpful contacts would be great.

Lovely to be back on board as I had been a member before but felt I had nothing to contribute and left.

Thank you.

Love From Heidi
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Arrythmia 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
dan the man

Hi Heidi,
I also suffer from Arrythmia and have done so for many years (my problem is hereditary). Before we moved here over 3 years ago, I was recommended to a Dr. in the Lito Hospital, Paralimni, and I asked him all the questions, whether I could get the same medication here in Cyprus etc. He gave me a thorough examination and said he would do the necessary scans, ultrasound etc when I moved over.
However, when we moved here and as I was working, we registered at the Paralimni Hospital (a different procedure if you are living here), saw an ordinary doctor, who referred me to the Cardiologist. I see this lady doctor, Dr. Hagizavva (apologies for the spelling) every three months, have an ECG, blood tests and she listens to my heartbeat each time. I was taking Aspirin daily, along with Atenalol tablets, but since April am now taking Warfarin daily. I cannot praise the services of this Dr and the hospital enough. She is very thorough, will explain things to you and is very patient. I now have monthly blood tests to check my INR levels and ring her the next day for the results.
I have a friend whose husband kept having problems the same as you. He was taken to A&E at Paralimni Hospital where he was monitored and stabilised. The problem happened again and he was admitted and tests undertaken. He also takes medication and warfarin and sees the same Dr every 3 months.
If you have a European Health Insurance Card, you can use this to get treatment at the hospital if you are here on holiday.
I am more than happy with the service and treatment I receive here. In the UK, I only ever saw the Cardiologist once when I was diagnosed with arrythmia, after that my GP kept an eye on me, issuing me with prescriptions and doing an ECG when the need arose.
I hope the above is of help to you, Heidi. Please feel free to email me separately should you want any other info.

Lynn
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
cardiac care 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59

Hi Lynn

Thank you so much for replying to my post.

A lot of what you said was reassuring, and I am so sorry that you have trouble with your heart rhythm, and I hope you stay in normal (sinus) rhythm from now on.

When my heart starts to play up I have been advised to go to a hospital ith a cardiac unit immediately. I have been cardioverted (shocked ) once, when I first went into a fib, and did revert to sinus rhythm, but went back to a fib 4 weeks later. As this happened the doctors now do not think this is a long term solution for me, but if I was very ill it would be urgently needed as there is a big risk of a stroke or heart attack.

I am very ill when my heart rhythm changes and have had to have morphine for the associated chest pain and amiodarone and other beta blockers intravenously. I have been on warfarin for 8 years and often get tested in Cyprus, so that is no problem to me.

So Lynn - I take it you have not had to test the emergency care yourself?

Is there a cardiac ward in the hospital at Parlimni/Famagusta? perhaps I could email your doctor for further advice? If you could email me the address and /or telehone number, I would be very grateful.

Keep in touch. many many thanks.

Heidi x

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
dan the man

Hi Heidi,
Cor you are in a bad way, my dear!!!! I am lucky, I suppose, that my heart rate is controlled with the beta blockers I take. It only goes haywire now when I get stressed, but luckily it doesn't last too long and goes back to 'normal' once I settle back down (if you know what I mean).

You are right in saying I have never had the need to test the emergency services here. Although once, shortly after starting on the warfarin, I felt a bit 'iffy', had funny pains in my chest and limbs. I phoned my Dr and she told me if I was worried to go to A&E at the Paralimni Hospital, which I did. I was taken straight into a cubicle, had an ECG and had blood taken. I rested for about an hour, while waiting for the results of the blood test, then allowed to go as everything was normal. (I think I panicked a bit because I didn't feel right and after reading the leaflet enclosed with the warfarin tablets).

I don't have the email address of my Dr, but here are the telephone numbers of the Hospitals, perhaps they will advise if they have cardiac units:
Paralimni Hospital - 00357 23200000
Lito Private Hospital, Paralimni -23811111
Santa Marina Private Hospital, Paralimni - 23811999

I will email my friend and tell her about your post on the Forum and ask if she could also reply to you - it is her husband who also has arrythmia and was in Paralimni Hospital, so she will know if there is a special ward there (also she was a nurse in UK).

I hope the above is of use to you, and look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,

Lynn

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

Hello Heidi.
I have often wondered what happened to you. Its nice to hear from you after all this time. I am sorry to hear about your health problems and I am sure you will get plenty of help and advice from others who can give it.

Welcome back and I hope you will keep posting , I am sure lots of the older members will remember you from the old MSN forum.
Smile

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Deanna
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hello Heidi,
I don't have your problems, but two friends had to be rushed in to Paralimni with heart-failure problems in recent years, and they both received exemplary care; yes there is a cardiac ward in the hospital.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59

Hi all ! Thanks for all the help and advice and welcome back.

I will ring the hospitals over the next few weeks and see what I can find out.

I will let you all now.

Bye for now.

Heidi x
cardiac care 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59

Hi all - I ahve not been too good and was in hospital again - but hope to find out more about the cardiac care soon.

Bye xx

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59

Hi - Off to the cardiologist on Monday so I will klet all my new chums on the site know how I do. xxxx

Happy and Healthy 2009! xx
cardiac care 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines