Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Private Health Insurance
Private Health Insurance 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
sagalout
Pictures: 0

We will need next year to get insurance does any one have an idea of costs.
thanks
Mike the sagalout

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
cyprus2sum

Depends on what type of cover you need.
Ie in patient only ( you have to weigh it up if you think you may need doctors on a regular basis.)
Existing illnesses not covered.
Inpatient cover 800 cyp yearly
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

I have been in Cyprus since September along with my wife and youngest daughter, aged 12. I am sort of retired, with an occupational pension and aged 58. My wife is 6 years younger and better looking ! She has just started teaching full time in a private school .
I visited a local doctor recently to get a flu jab, repeat prescription advice etc and he recommended that we take out private health care as "we wouldn't get full health care" from the state system, despite my wife working and having an E106 with 2 years to run.
Can anyone give any advice on our entitlement and maybe recommend a good medical insurance compay ?
We have an appointment with immigration re residency in February and were told we needed private medical insurance but that was before my wife got her job.
Any advice would be appreciated as we don't particularly want to pay for private healthcare if we are largely covered by the state?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
cyprus2sum

You are entitled as a family to health care on your wives E106 till it expires.
Immingration should tell you what cover if at all, your wife has now she is working.
She should be paying a stamp and may have private medical cover through her employ to which her dependants are equally covered.
I can only advise, we too are of a similar age group are early retirees but have had private health care since arriving 4 years ago.
We have cover through Universal Life, one of the biggest insurances on the island.
Each individual should take out a cover which is beneficial to them ie hospital inpatient only or Doctors visits plus medication.
No existing medical condition will be insured though.
If your wife is the same age as you she will be allowed to use the state hospital at 60 years old and you will be covered on her E121 which would run after her E106 expires if I am right.
Please note I can only give advice on what knowledge we have, and have been complying to.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
Tash

Andrew Brooks wrote:
I have been in Cyprus since September along with my wife and youngest daughter, aged 12. I am sort of retired, with an occupational pension and aged 58. My wife is 6 years younger and better looking ! She has just started teaching full time in a private school .
I visited a local doctor recently to get a flu jab, repeat prescription advice etc and he recommended that we take out private health care as "we wouldn't get full health care" from the state system, despite my wife working and having an E106 with 2 years to run.
Can anyone give any advice on our entitlement and maybe recommend a good medical insurance compay ?
We have an appointment with immigration re residency in February and were told we needed private medical insurance but that was before my wife got her job.
Any advice would be appreciated as we don't particularly want to pay for private healthcare if we are largely covered by the state?

As far as I am aware if your wife is working and paying social insurance you all can become entitled to health care.
You say you have an appointment at immigration for residency, if she is working they will not ask for private health insurance.
Once you have your residency yellow form, take to the hospital along with other relevent documents.ie passport, marriage licence etc and register for state health care.
Once registered it takes about 3 weeks to come through and you will either get a pink card, entitling you to full health care, which you pay 2 euro's for each visit, or a blue card, with which you pay half the cost. This all depends on how much your collective income is each month.

Hope this helps
good luck

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Thanks for the advice guys. My wife is a youngster, 52, so when her E106 expires she will have a few years to wait to be state retirement age, which will be 65. I'll get there before her if I'm lucky !
I think your comment about working/paying nat ins. is correct Tash. They do not require proof of income, private health ins. unless we are both unemployed and below state retirement age.
It really is confusing here as I went to a local doctor to get a prescription for existing conditions and he made two comments. One was to take out private insurance anyway and not tell them about existing conditions as he would provide me with prescriptions and he also recommended getting drugs from UK if we go back for visits as it will be cheaper.
If we don't have to register Julie's E106 here, I suppose the NHS won't know we're in Cyprus and we can continue to use our GP for prescriptions/ check ups etc.
On the other hand it all then gets very complicated so I think we'll wait and see what happens in Feb at immigration.
Thanks again for your advice. Might take out some basic private cover for peace of mind.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
cyprus2sum

Once residents in Cyprus using NHS is fraudulant!
I hear the same old..... I paid my dues whilst living there!
Well go live there.

I may upset alot of people, but dont live in Cyprus and expect the NHs to keep funding you.
Ive lived here four years and its cost as many thousands in healthcare if not more and to hear people that are still visiting the UK for hospital visits medication etc is rather upsetting.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

cyprus2sum wrote:
Once residents in Cyprus using NHS is fraudulant!
I hear the same old..... I paid my dues whilst living there!
Well go live there.

I may upset alot of people, but dont live in Cyprus and expect the NHs to keep funding you.
Ive lived here four years and its cost as many thousands in healthcare if not more and to hear people that are still visiting the UK for hospital visits medication etc is rather upsetting.

Settle down please. It was suggested by a Cypriot doctor and I still pay my taxes/ council tax etc in the UK.
If the bloody Cypriot system could organise itself and not try to make life difficult for us 'Aliens' from a member EU state, we wouldn't need to consider such actions.
We've both paid our way in the UK for all our working lives and a Cypriot coming to the UK in a similar position would not be messed around like many Brits are out here.
We only expect to receive what we are entitled to, without hurdles being put in the way.
Did you or someone else, pay for private health care in the UK too ?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
cyprus2sum

Hi Andrew, sorry you felt the need to retaliate as you so clearly ARE entitled to private health care here.
I knew this topic would open up a bag of worms, but it still does not alter the fact that yes we are EU citizens and no one knows about the foreigners taking the mickey out of the British NHS more than I do as I have a daughter who is a hospital sister over in the UK, but whether we paid our taxes, stamps uncle tom cobbly and all we are not entitled to free health care unless we are of retirement age or working here.
I dont quite understand your last sentence, unless you think I am Cypriot but I can assure you I am British.
Funnily enough yes if I require any medical assistance whilst visiting England I will have to pay for my care.
I shall post this and swiftly move on....

Last edited by cyprus2sum on Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

I don't quite understand your comments either. Particularly the bit about your daughter also being a sister ! lol !
I too shall move on, not so swiftly as your good self , as I have a bit of a hangover. Wink
Private Health Insurance 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines