Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » CYPRIOT SCHOOL
CYPRIOT SCHOOL 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Tutty1
Pictures: 1

My little girl is 2 in February and obviously if we were living in the UK, as soon as she was born I would have had to nominate and put my little one's name down at a local school so that when she is 4-5 she will get a place.

Does anyone know if this is the same here in Cyprus, or because she goes to local private nursery, they will enroll her themselves when she reaches the age of for school or do I have to go into the school myself.

Thanks

Michelle
Frenaros
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
Snowy
Pictures: 0

Hi

No, it doesn't work like that here. Once your child gets to 3 or 4 (I think), they are entitled to start the government nursery/pre-school. This takes them up to they are 5 or 6 and sometimes 7. This is school hours only and runs with the school holidays etc not like private nursery.

Children MUST go to the government pre-school for one year before they start school. This is bascially like the English Reception class. It is compulsory and is still mainly based on play, with some learning and structure being introduced. Some pre-schools are part of the school and others are independent. If it is part of the school, they will tell you when you need to register with the school.

Children start school usually in the year that they make up 6 years old. The cut off is January to December, although the school year runs September to June. It is common however for children to be held back a year before they start school. If the parents feel it will benefit their children and for non-cypriot children, should they not be fluent in Greek. As your child is so young, this won't be an issue for you.

It is really up to you to make enquiries yourself with regards to registering your child with both the pre-school and primary school. I think the first time that you register will be the January of the year that you want your child to start in the September. Most schools have two or three classes a year, with classes of no more than 20 in, so it is easy to get in a school (not like the UK). They do still have boundary cut offs, so you might want to look into that, if you have lots of schools around you and are unsure of which school your child should attend. You have ages yet though as your little girl is still very young.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
CYPRIOT SCHOOL 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools