Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Pastry recipe?
Pastry recipe? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Pictures: 0
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

When in was in Kapparis earlier this year, I went to one of the cooking classes that the Tourism department offered in one of the hotels. The chef made these pastries, the name I cannot recall. I lost the recipe and was hoping someone might be able to tell me their name and give me the recipe. They were quite simple to make. The dough was flour, water, and olive oil (no egg I think) and the filling was anari, sugar, cinnamon and I think rose water and possibly an egg. You rolled out the dough, cut it into circles and then put some filling in and sealed it up in a half-moon shape. Then you fried it in some oil and served it with some honey drizzled over it.

Maybe someone could give me the exact amount, correct ingredients, and the name of these sinful treats.

Thanks

Roseanne

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Hi Roseanne,

A lot of the pastries in Cy are made with just flour water and olive oil.

This is a similar recipe I have found, very traditional. I have made them several times, great if you have a sweet tooth. Laughing

Try this very sticky recipe for Dhaktyla...
...to remind you of the wonderful bakeries in Cyprus.
Dhaktyla are wonderful sticky little finger pastries that you see in every bakery in Cyprus; they look a bit like tiny Christmas crackers and, unlike many Cypriot pastries, are light and fluffy if made properly.

The best ones I have ever tasted have been home-made by a Cypriot friend and, if I am honest, I have only tried this recipe for dhaktyla once and it was something of a disaster...instead of being light and slightly fluffy inside, they were greasy and very heavy. My Cypriot friend told me that several attempts are needed to get it just right...!

If you'd like to have a go, here is an authentic recipe for dhaktyla from a Cypriot friend. Just remember not to be too disappointed if your first attempt is unsuccessful.

DHAKTYLA -sticky little finger pastries (serves a big family or two very greedy people!)

Ingredients:

For the pastry:
6 cups flour
6 tablespoons oil (peanut or corn oil is best)
water to mix about 1.5 cups
For the syrup:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon bitter orange water
For the filling:
2 cups ground almonds
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Plus lots of oil for deep frying the dhaktyla.

As this an old recipe, all measurements are in CUPS. A cup is equivalent to 150g or 250ml.

How to prepare it:

First make your pastry:
Sift the flour and mix together with the salt in a mixing bowl. Make a hole in the middle, pour in the oil then rub the oil into the flour using your fingertips. Then add enough water to make a smooth, firm dough. Kneed your dough well and form it into small balls (8-10) then cover them and let them rest for a few hours.

Next, roll out your pastry into thin leaves or "fillos":
Take each ball of pastry, flour your hands and your rolling pin and try to roll your ball into a very thin "leaf" of pastry about 1/8" thick. Then cut your pastry into 9cm squares.

When you are ready to make your dhaktyla, get everything prepared first:

Put your sugar and water into a pan and bring to the boil. Let it boil for a couple of minutes then take it off the heat and add your lemon juice, honey and orange water.
Pour your fat into a large heavy based pan and put on the stove ready for heating.
Make your filling by mixing together the almonds, sugar and cinnamon.
Put a teaspoon of fillling in the centre of each 9cm square and fold it into a long, finger like parcel. Press down the ends with a fork so they look like tiny Christmas crackers. Lift the fingers with a knife and fork and put onto a tray ready for frying.

Once all the fingers are made, heat the oil until very hot. Place a few fingers at a time into the hot oil and turn them carefully until pale golden in colour. Then lift them from the hot oil and place into the syrup until well coated. Finally lift the little fingers out of the syrup and leave to cool on a plate before eating.

Enjoy your sticky little treat. Mmm!

Tips: Your dhaktyla will keep for several days in an airtight container in the fridge...but they will probably not last more than a few hours. If, like me, you are not very good at making pastry, just cheat a little and buy some frozen fillo pastry...

Hope it helps some.

Ruth

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

Do you mean something like these ?

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

We had these in "Maria's Restaurant" up in the Troodos mountains as part of our meze lunch. These were actually in the kitchen as I went in for a look around !

These were made as you describe with Anari cheese, cinnamon, and i'd guess a little milk or cream, sugar and then covered with a rich syrup.

I think the Dhaktila is normally almond paste and other nuts isn't it ?

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

You are right Steve, Almonds.

Couldn't find one with the cheese, never tried them. They sound good.

Ruth Laughing

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
AskCy

They are probably too good !... I don't eat sweat stuff and didn't really have any room but managed to get a couple down !.... (been up there twice on two jeep safari's and had them both times)

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Think I have found a recipe:

Ingredients for the dough:
3 cups of flour

1 cup of water (room temperature)

1/3 cup of corn oil

a tsp of salt

1 egg yolk

Ingredients for filling:
2 cups of strained Ricotta cheese

a cup of white sugar

2 tbsp of cold milk

1 tsp of powder cinnamon

1 egg white

For garnishment:
2 tbsp of icing sugar

- In a bowl mix the flour with the salt, add the corn oil and make sure it mixes well with the flour.

- Add the egg yolk and a little at a time add the water and knead into thick dough.

- Place dough into a clean bowl and cover with a kitchen towel for about an hour.

-While waiting for the dough, mix all the ingredients for the filling and beat into a smooth thick cream.

-After having the dough sitting and covered for an hour, uncover and knead for a few minutes and cut in small manageable pieces for rolling into a thin fillo.

-With something round like a cup, cut the rolled out fillo into round pieces.

-In each piece place in the center 1 tsp of filling, brush the edges with water and fold.

-With a fork press the edges to seal.

-After doing all your Bourekia by using all your dough and filling, heat some oil in a frying pan and fry them all on both sides until golden brown.

-From the frying pan to a kitchen paper towel to drain the excess oil.

-Place the fried Bourekia in a platter, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.

-Bourekia are served hot. They can also be eaten cold.

Replace the Ricotta with Anari...

I love the reference to 'Garnishment' Laughing

Ruth

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
AskCy

lol yeah sounds the same sort of things ...

I'm guessing its from a non-greek/cypriot website that has used ricotta as they can't get hold of anari where they are !

Picture of a pack I bought up in Paralimni last year
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

(yes sad but true, I tend to take pictures of anything that I'm not likely to see back home.. helps when explaining to people or remembering something etc)

Steve

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

Yep, Steve. I bet those are the ones. The shape is a little different but they look very similar. Thanks for finding the recipe Ruth. I searched and searched.

And Ruth, the Dhatyla look yummy too. I've eaten those too. In fact, I have not met a Cypriot or Greek pastry I didn't like.

Thanks everyone.

Roseanne

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
Trixyhixy

Dhatyla are so nice, and now I have the recipe thanks to you guys!

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

From an overweight recently type 2 diabetic.......

Paul.
Pastry recipe? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music