Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Is your local town still busy?
Is your local town still busy? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Hi<

Recession, what recession?

We spent the day at Meadowhall indoor shopping centre in Sheffield today getting clobber for the summer holidays. With along with what appeared to be the entire population of South Yorkshire. There were queues at the tills in nearly all the clothes shops, the jewellers were busy, the coffee shops and eateries were busy. And above all else, all the sectors that are pleading poverty like, Travel Agents and other so called luxury areas were also very busy. Which kind of leaves me wondering just how much of a recession, slowdown, pause or credit crunch we are actually in. As folk seemed to be quite happily paying for bags full of shopping all over?

I don't doubt for one minute that their aren't people feeling a pinch, but their probably always is. I know that sales of cars and housing has slowed down, but I also know that sales of caravans is about normal for this time of year. Gas, electric and petrol have increased and property prices have decreased slightly.

Are we therefore just being told that we are experiencing rough times because the big players are suffering from the effects of the current strangle on their ability to finance their future plans. Or am I just missing the point?

So how is the rest of the country?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
nikster
Pictures: 0

Hi Dave

We popped into Maidstone, Kent today. No sign of the credit crunch here. The car park was as busy as the weekend before Christmas. It was crazy! Might have something to do with the summer sales perhaps.

Nikki
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
tannis

Newcastle city and metro centre.....same as always busy

Tracey x

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

Salisbury was very quiet and speaking to some of the taxi drivers they said business has been poor all year.

Re: Is your local town still busy? 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
rtp2010

DAC wrote:
Hi<

Recession, what recession?

We spent the day at Meadowhall indoor shopping centre in Sheffield today getting clobber for the summer holidays. With along with what appeared to be the entire population of South Yorkshire. There were queues at the tills in nearly all the clothes shops, the jewellers were busy, the coffee shops and eateries were busy. And above all else, all the sectors that are pleading poverty like, Travel Agents and other so called luxury areas were also very busy. Which kind of leaves me wondering just how much of a recession, slowdown, pause or credit crunch we are actually in. As folk seemed to be quite happily paying for bags full of shopping all over?

I don't doubt for one minute that their aren't people feeling a pinch, but their probably always is. I know that sales of cars and housing has slowed down, but I also know that sales of caravans is about normal for this time of year. Gas, electric and petrol have increased and property prices have decreased slightly.

Are we therefore just being told that we are experiencing rough times because the big players are suffering from the effects of the current strangle on their ability to finance their future plans. Or am I just missing the point?

So how is the rest of the country?

well now, here in liopetri the shops are on the norm, but yes the coffee shops are very busy, lol
sorry dave, but it's just the humour that i'm in just now, lol

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
J001

as we know shopping produces the feel good factor so id say the answer probably lies with credit cards, hiked up overdrafts and general credit/hp and store cards.
buy today and think about it sometime in the future.
paralimni busy! Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
marion
Pictures: 4

Birmingham seemed very quiet for a Saturday today.

And out-of-town supermarkets also seem quieter than usual over recent weeks.

Marion

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

There's a big price war happening on UK's High Streets at the moment with some massive savings to be made. Goods like plasma TV's, computer gear and quality clothing generally have all been slashed in price. That's probably why you're getting the crowds.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
DAC

brian16 wrote:
There's a big price war happening on UK's High Streets at the moment with some massive savings to be made. Goods like plasma TV's, computer gear and quality clothing generally have all been slashed in price. That's probably why you're getting the crowds.

Good point Brian,
Perhaps after years of a 'Rip Off Britain' culture that we have become acustomed, maybe the consumer is finally get their just deserves, and obviously at the expense of the retailers nationwide. And after years of the over inflated profits that they have made on the high streets, they are the ones being "Re-adjusted". Laughing

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Jan
Pictures: 5

In Southport today the shops were very busy and Marks and Spencers was very busy. The Clarks shoe shop had a sale on and it was mobbed and so I came out and will pop in during the week.

Coming back from Liverpool we saw the most fantastic cruise liner being boarded by the passengers. It was called the Grand Princess and was fantastic. Must cost a bit to book on that for a holiday and yet there was a big line of passengers. No shortage of cash for cruising then.

People in the UK are still spending I think.

Jan

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
DAC

Retailers will always moan about profits, as they are always wanting the BoE to cut interest rates so that folk have more money to spend in their shops. And house builders have always been greedy with profit margins, as have car dealers. Serves them right I suppose.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Jan wrote:
Coming back from Liverpool we saw the most fantastic cruise liner being boarded by the passengers. It was called the Grand Princess and was fantastic. Must cost a bit to book on that for a holiday and yet there was a big line of passengers. No shortage of cash for cruising then.

People in the UK are still spending I think.

Jan

Possibly not all it seems. Cheaper than a trip to Cyprus.

This a two-week cruise from Southampton, calling at the Guernsey, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Liverpool, Inverness, Glagow, Le Havre before returning to Southampton.

Starting at USD 1500 (756 pounds sterling) all inclusive.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
J001

the majority of sale prices on the high street are pre fixed..stock buys are bought in at a very low price, retaining a good margin and are reduced to psychologically think you are receiving a bargain.
retailers plan this seasons ahead. they focus on what you save and not what you spend. so unfortunately the retailers, especially multi nationals will never lose out.
but at the end of the day, if you think you have a bargain...thats great...but dont be fooled into thinking its a genuine one.[/quote]

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
paul1978

cedit crunch....................my * bottom *!
shops are booming lile for like sales are up almost 11.9%
internet sales down 3.4%
why?????????????????????

persoally i think consumers dont worry about debt as much as they should
the governments opnion is if you cant pay dont worry some other sucker will subsidise your debt.

wow is the uk really 3.5 trillion in debt?? christ it was'nt even this bad when the strikes were on in the '80's

is the uk ever gonna see sense and use the
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Cardiff lad
Pictures: 7

I haven't been into Cardiff city centre since I got back but I have been to my local Asda and that is still very busy if that helps.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett
Pictures: 1

Merry Hill In Dudley is still very Busy
was going today , then thought of the crowd's and trying to park
so staying put ...indoors watching the RAIN
Dawn

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
taffs well

rhyl and llandudno both very busy lots of shops have massive sales on some at 70% off at the mo. but have noticed that all the caravan sites and touring camps along with tents are full and the schools have not even broke up yet.

building firms /construction firms are feeling the bite though and know of two in this area that have folded,others are laying people off and some cutting the hrs down.

we are getting a lot of calls from suppliers asking if all is okay as we are not placing such large orders and they are all saying the same thing that companys are really feeling it,and overall (lands end to john o,groats some firms are closing down).there is still the massive overheads to mantain and if the contracts are slow to come in then yes it would be hard to keep going.

also noticed that a few houses that were up for sale have now put up for rent signs instead.
Is your local town still busy? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat