Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Just for Jan
Just for Jan 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed
Pictures: 0

Many years ago I stopped at a greasy spoon for an all-day breakfast and sat across the table from me was a driver called Terry and we got into conversation..................
I said "Terry, what are you driving?"
He said, "A truck"
I said "What kind of truck?"
He replied, "A Thames Trader"
So I said, "Terry, you're driving a Thames Trader truck so what are you carrying?"

He said, "Ten tons of tinted toilet tissue from Teddington."
I said, "If you are carrying ten tons of tinted toilet tissue from Teddington, in a Thames Trader truck, Terry, where are you going with it?"
He said, "Tottington!"
I said "Where to?"
He replied, "Tatler and Taylor's!"

I said, "Why then Terry, are you are carrying ten tons of tinted toilet tissue from Teddington in a Thames Trader truck to Tatler and Taylor's of Tottington?"

He said "Because they're ar sole agents!" Laughing Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Jan
Pictures: 5

Oh my goodness me flipping tonge twisters now. I remember those from the playground when you had to say
She sells sea shells
On the sea shore.

My nephew lives in Tottington and my brother went to the Tottington High School as well.

My Dad was a butcher on Bury Market for many years and was well known for his Bury black puddings. He died from cancer after retiring early to Blackpool. The people from Bury all turned up for his funeral and it was very touching indeed.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

My wife's parents live in Tottington.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Jan

What a small world this is Brian. My nephew Paul Steventon and his wife Caroline and little boy Joseph live on Farm Close and Paul has his own business as a plumber and heating engineer. So perhaps your inlaws know them.

You seem to have friends in the show business field and Ian's cousin John is known as Johnny Martin and has been an agent dealing mainly in Comedians for years around the Manchester area. JMI is the name of his business. My best friend from years ago was married to the comic Colin Crompton from the "Wheeltappers" time. They lived in Mere in Cheshire but of course he is dead now.

My husband Ian is a director of "Keating" the new supercar that is based in the north west as well.

Small world as I say. Surprising who knows who.

Sorry folks this must be boring for you other members so I will shut up now.

Jan

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

Your nephew lives very close to my in-laws, literally within spitting distance!

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
duchy

It is a small world, before moving to Scotland we lived for 20years just a few miles from Mere, still have friends there.
But of course I met Jan a short time ago in Southport were she lives as does my father.

Jan Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

Just by coinci-dinkie, many of my relatives lived in Southport by the Birkdale golf course.....................small world or what?

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
duchy

My old stomping ground, know it like the back of my hand.
My father is also Birkdale but people know Southport better.

Jan Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

Jan, my wife was born in Leeds (Jimmy's) but was brought up in Bury. She went to Bury High School for Girls where Victoria Wood went a few years before. Victoria was expelled would you believe?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

I'm amazed at a post entitled "Just for Jan" has so far had almost 200 viewings!
Jan, have you read my post almost 200 times? Laughing Laughing

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
Jan

We must try and have a Northern meet up since we would all have so much to chat about both about the North of England and Cyprus. Trouble is finding a time when we can all make it in one place.

I thought that about the viewings but I think like us all we have to have a peep to see what is being said. Like my friend Jan says we met up in Southport and she and Graham her husband are great company but Graham works off shore and so it is hard catching him but Jan could make it to a meet up.

Brian the school was Bury Grammmar School for girls and they would shoot you for demoting it to a high school. I went to Wellington Secondary School and then on to Bury Technical College to a Secretarial course. Worked then as PA to Insurance Brokers and the NFU.

Paul our nephew has just built a big extension to his house and so you cannot miss it. Tell your inlaws to introduce themselves he is usually quite chatty.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

Thanks for that Jan and of course you're right, Bury GRAMMAR School for Girls it is! not High School!
There's a wonderful black pudding stall on the market, perhaps the same one your relative had. We were up there a few weeks ago and a drawer in our freezer is full of them!

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
duchy

Hope to be in Southport sometime during August, will stay with our son who lives Cheshire.

Jan I think we will be in Cyprus same time as you or at least for part of.... well you never know Laughing

Jan Smile
Colin Crompton 
Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

Jan, you might like to see this.......................enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGR3SSfRfFk
Just for Jan 
Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Jan

Well that was a blast from the past Brian. Thirty four years ago and that was the same year that our daughter Vicky was born and Carol Crompton is her Godmother. Carol was brought up in Bury and we went to the same schools and the Technical College together. She was a singer around the Clubs in the evenings and that is where she met Colin. He was just starting with the television then. They had one son John together and he and our Vicky nearly fell out of Carol's Merc' since it was the days before seat belts and they opened one of the back doors and she had to anchor on. - Oh memories.
Both dead now Colin and Bernard Manning as well. You have to enjoy the day whilst you have it.
Thanks for the memory.

Jan

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
brian16
Membership Closed

Glad you enjoyed it Jan. I used to enjoy going to Bernard's club, the Embassy............what a great night out that was!
Just for Jan 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat