Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Help on schooling ? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post: #41   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield
Pictures: 2

Yes, that’s true Andrew, it is easy for adults to get by in English in Cyprus. The main concern of this thread, however, was the problems arising for British children attending Greek-medium schools; they have to come to grips with the language and it poses problems for both the students and the schools.

As Elizavet pointed out, Cyprus cannot always deal effectively with these difficulties; one, because there is not the same access to staff and resources as there is in the UK; and, two, because of the rate at which schools in some areas have been inundated with students of immigrant families.

The attitude of many in the UK is that ‘they’ (immigrant families) should learn the language if they want to live there; this attitude is often coupled with a negative comment about the UK taxpayer having to fork out again for extra help for their children at school.

At present, I hear just the odd negative comment being expressed about a similar situation in Cyprus about British immigrants and their children, but a lot more government funding is necessary to help schools in Cyprus cope, or the problems will fester and grow.

Interestingly, immigrant children of other nationalities in Cyprus seem to acquire the language skills and assimilate much more readily than British children.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #42   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks
Pictures: 0

Message received Keith.
I do realise the situation and I have just retired from teaching in the UK.
Our 12 year old daughter is accompanying my wife and I when we come to Cyprus in September and will be attending a fee paying English speaking school.
If she were younger, by a few years, we may well have tried her at a state school, with the obvious benefit being that she would learn another language and we could have assisted her basic numeracy /literacy skills in English, at home.
It is also a matter of what qualifications can ultimately be acquired and whether the English qualifications are more readily accepted by universities etc in the UK.
I have heard that the university system in Cyprus is gaining a growing reputation.Perhaps you could enlighten me ?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #43   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

We are going off thread a little? It seems it is comonplace in the Greek junior Schools for pupils to be bored stiff, I spoke to one young lad of 12 to-day, who told me he has tried three different schools! the current one being Paralimni 4, Jack's School, he is a bright kid, and told me he corrects his teacher all the time, as he knows more than her! the more I dig, the worse it gets. Anyway, Jack refuses to go to Larnaca, I don't blame him really, so we have decided to keep him at home till next term, when he goes up a class, then we will see what his teacher is like, and if he is to be educated. In the meantime, he will continue with his Greek lessons, and do work at home which we get off the net. There is little option.

Post: #44   PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

Thinking about it, our neighbours who are Cypriot teachers and have 2 children were always signing them up for extra tuition the kids were always moaning about this.

They seem to have done very well Theodora is now in Athens studying to become a dentisit and Yiannis goes into the army next month then off to study abroad .

Looks like if you are sending your kids to state school extra Greek lessons and home tuition in the important subjects like maths and english is the way forward.

Post: #45   PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

Andrew Brooks wrote:
I have heard that the university system in Cyprus is gaining a growing reputation.Perhaps you could enlighten me ?

The University of Cyprus is a young establishment, having opened for its first student intake in 1992; the medium of teaching is Greek (and, officially, also Turkish). It is in Nicosia and has a current student population of around 3,500.

Up until now, only students having gained the State 'Apolyterion' leaving certificate of a high score (usually around 17/20* or above) are accepted.

*[Yes, it all comes down to a mark out of 20, including marks split to about 3 decimal places!]

There is a current controversy because the University had announced its intention to accept students with qualifications from other countries, including GCEs. The schoolteachers' union objected strongly to this and, consequently, the plan has been delayed for re-consideration next year.

Going the other way, the Greek 'Apolyterion' is a recognised university entrance qualification in the UK and it is possible to get onto some courses in some universities with this qualification.

However, many UK universities stipulate the 'Apolyterion' plus 1 or 2 A levels for high demand courses, or recommend that 'Apolyterion' qualified students do a one year foundation course at an associated College of Further Education before embarking on a degree course.

Just a few months ago, a number of different private colleges, mainly in Nicosia, but also in Limassol, were granted university status. People I know who work in these colleges say that the process of acquiring their charter was very thorough and demanding.

Post: #46   PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Thanks Keith.

Post: #47   PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

I have sent off an e-mail to AA in Larnaca, although Jack still refuses to go! I am also going to talk to St Nic, although how I am going to manage the drive four times a day is beyond me, maybe my customers will make lunch themselves?? not! so I will have to employ someone else-more money! bah humbug. What a carry on to get some education for your child! to be honest, if I had known, I would have stayed in Scotland.

Post: #48   PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
karmic

You will overcome this. Your child's education is one of the most important things.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #49   PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
BTD

How about trying to find out if there are other parents driving in from your area? Could share the travelling between you...
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #50   PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Kathyoke
Pictures: 3

Hogarth55 wrote:
he is a bright kid, and told me he corrects his teacher all the time, as he knows more than her! .

My daughter was exactly the same at Paralimni Gymnasium, she was always correcting her English teacher. The teacher said' I know English I have been taught, you do not understand grammar, what do you know of grammar"? My daughter replied, "well, I have had 11 books published"...........

The school system here failed us miserably, not because its a bad system, but they just arnt able to cope. My daughter is 16 now and is returning to the UK to pick up her education. A greek school is extremely hard unless you can speak the language, or young enough to learn.

Kathy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #51   PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
karmic

If your child attends a greek school it is a good ideas to supplement their education with a few hours 1:1 tuition. A couple of hours a week will do them the world of good. Their learning will be focused and can be planned to interest them as an individual

Post: #52   PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Jack's new Greek Teacher, tells me to complain to the Government about the treatment Jack has recieved in School????

Post: #53   PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrissy141

Hi and thanks for all your messages.

I have been off- line for some time, but now I have moved to Dherynia
and now have the internet.

I have been looking into both Greek and English speeking schools.
From talking to ex.pats I do hear various different reviews on both !

I will contact Xenion as it is only a few minutes away.

Some people say that they should go to a greek school as they will need to learn the language any way ?

Are there any summer schools that someone can recommend ?
as I am currently looking for work.

Thanks again
Chrissy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #54   PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

Chrissy141 wrote:
Some people say that they should go to a greek school as they will need to learn the language any way ?
Are there any summer schools that someone can recommend ?
as I am currently looking for work.

Thanks again
Chrissy

Obviously you didn't read the previous posts on state schools I recommended ~ Ah well ~ never mind.

Bill

Post: #55   PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Our Jack has been attending one-to-one Greek lessons, which will continue throughout the summer, thre times a week. Costly yes, but necessary if we want him to be educated, work, and live in Cyprus-incase he doesn't get signed for Man U lol. We are moving him out of Paralimni4, which has been a grave dissapointment, given that this School came highly reccomended, well, it may work for some, but sadly not Jack, his teacher there said,'He is too bright, I don't know what to do with him' DOH!! Jack is an avarage kid, maybe a little mature for his years, he has had to be, but if they won't make the effort to educate him, and they have not, then it's bye bye sooty. Jack is now almost fluent in Greek, and constantly talks in Greek at home,(cos he knows we don't have a scooby what he is saying) so we are swaying to-wards another Greek School, one reccomended by his Greek Teacher, we did consider ST NIC, but what is the point? they don't teach the Greek language. We live in Cyprus, we must always try to go the Cypriot way?

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #56   PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Very Happy Solution found-happy bunny's.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools