Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Help on schooling ? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post: #21   PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Jinty
Pictures: 0

I would appeal that no one dignify post 20 with a response.

Jinty.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

The truth clearly hurts.
I regard myself as English / British and one side of my family has been traced back over 400 years in Cornwall.
I could claim some sort of Celtic descent but that would be small minded and churlish.
A bit like the Scots,Welsh and Irish who like nothing more than glorifying in their supposed Celtic roots and go into raptures if any one of them beats' the English ' at anything, when quite probably, many of their so called roots go back no more than a few generations.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #23   PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55
Pictures: 2

Andrew? Are you having a go at a nine year old BOY! shame on you, you are a disgrace.
Michelle, The Scottish education system is different to the English, even though it is taught in the English language.

Post: #24   PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
karmic

My suggestion if you need or wish to place your child into a greek school, is to supplement their education with home tutoring. Find an English teacher to visit your home for say an hour or two a week. You'll be amazed just how much children can take in, in just one hour. If money is an issue as I know it is for many people on Cyprus why not link together with a few other parents and get your children educated in a small group. My wife and I are both teachers and will live in Cyprus from the end of July. If you do go ahead with home tutoring make sure you ask to see the teachers passport, CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check and teaching qualifictions of course.

Any more help just mail me.

Post: #25   PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
Tina Torment

Yvette wrote:
Pam, why not try the American Academy in Larnaca?

It has an excellent reputation and I know that a lot of Greeks also send their children here because of the high standard of education which is really the primary issue here.

Speaking as any army 'brat' (no offence intended) I can honestly say how difficult it was moving location every 2yrs and starting all over again. Easy to adapt when young but not so good when I got to my early teens! My education was very fragmented and I suffered greatly both trying to catch up with the new school and also trying to integrate with the local kids.....who tended to segregate and bully those different from themselves and that was just in the UK!!! Personally, I would pay the extra and invest in my child if financially possible.

Post: #26   PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Hogarth55 wrote:
Andrew? Are you having a go at a nine year old BOY! shame on you, you are a disgrace.
Michelle, The Scottish education system is different to the English, even though it is taught in the English language.

I thought my post was clearly aimed at a wider audience and not at your son personally.
Apologies if you took it personally.

Post: #27   PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
DELIA
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi
My son has been going to the American Academy for the last 6 years, he is about to start the senior school in September. His education has been fantastic in the junior school. I have been more than impressed with the way he has been taught, yes we have to get up early but after 6 years of doing this, it becomes a way of life, and if anything should happen and we had to go back to the UK for any reason I know he could fit straight into the education system there, where, if he went to a Greek school I don't think he could. Yes, it costs money but I think its well worth it, and he has learnt Greek aswell.

Regards
Donna
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #28   PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

Sadly it seems Chrissy may have deserted the forum as she has not replied to subsequent posts .

I'm sorry I have to be a bit out spoken here but I do despair at the amount of folk moving to Cyprus with out doing much research ( chasing the Cyprus dream ) and not really considering their children's education .

I had no choice in being moved to the UK at a young age as we were deported from our original home, luckily the UK took us in but the problems I experienced moving to the UK and going to a school where I couldn't understand the language spoken and taught was a bitter experience for me and I imagine others in a similar situation ~ this is why I kept banging on about bringing school age children to Cyprus and expecting them to "fit in" ~ especially when they get to secondary school age.

Bill

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

It's not a money issue with us, it's a time issue-and energy issue. We run a Bar/Restaraunt, I cook lunches,and I have to do the shopping for fresh stuff every morning, we can just about cope with me taking Jack to school, and one of us nipping away to pick him up, as the school is near, I honestly can't see us coping with a school further away, never mind Larnaca.
Bill, We did our homework, Paralimni 4 was reccomended to us, and when we went to talk to them, they insisted they would translate etc-they lied. I can hear you say, 'his education is more important' but when we planned our move, and business, Jack had a Mum, we are now on our own.
Anyway, to-morrow morning, another battle with the school, if they are still not playing ball, then god knows.

Post: #30   PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
bill

Hogarth55 wrote:
Bill, We did our homework, Paralimni 4 was reccomended to us, and when we went to talk to them, they insisted they would translate etc-they lied. I can hear you say, 'his education is more important' but when we planned our move, and business, Jack had a Mum, we are now on our own.

Pam I wasn't referring to you in my comments more to the situation of chrissy who intends to move to Cyprus in June and apparently has thought about her child's education almost as an after thought.

I used to be shocked at the lack of thought given to kids in the all important move over to Cyprus ~ admittedly most parents do their research and it works out fine but there are a number who give no consideration to their kids whilst chasing the Cyprus dream ~ they just dump them in a school and hope it will be ok .

I have a couple of friends who are teachers in Cypriot schools and some of the stories they have told me about immigrant British children have left me horrified ~ they are faced with rude children that are unwilling to learn and state frequently that they are not interested in school and don't want to be there ~ they are often disruptive in class as it's their way of hitting back at the situation they find themselves in due to their parents wish to be in Cyprus "at all costs".

Both these teachers have virtually given up on the children even though they both speak perfect English and are prepared to help when necessary in translation when needed ~ they now don't bother as these particular children are just not interested.

No doubt some immigrant children were probably quite disruptive whilst in UK schools and have continued in the same way here but most have become disruptive though frustration and boredom at not grasping the Greek language and failing to understand what's going on whilst in school.

You are fortunate that Jack is getting on fine with his Greek language and is interested in learning ~ all you need to do is get the school sorted out to give him the support he deserves to enable him to progress further.

Bill

Post: #31   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Bill, No offence taken, really. I can undestand what your friends say, as I had the same story from Jack's Greek teacher to-day, she can't control them, and when she speaks to the parents, she get's no back up at all. I have been to school to-day, spoken to the Head, and Jack's class teacher, and Greek teacher, they have now admitted that they have no time for Brittish kids, or the money to educate them. This came as I was telling the Head, that I would talk to the Government. They have now promised Jack more Greek lessons, instead of sitting in class bored, as you can understand, this is not acceptable. So, even if Jack does not like the idea, we have to look at an English School in Larnaca,or go home, and we don't want to go home, but Jack's education must be a priority. Jack himself says he will not go home under any circumstances!

Post: #32   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
karmic

Have you thought of getting a tutor?

Post: #33   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

Hogarth55 wrote:
Hi Bill, No offence taken, really. I can undestand what your friends say, as I had the same story from Jack's Greek teacher to-day, she can't control them, and when she speaks to the parents, she get's no back up at all. I have been to school to-day, spoken to the Head, and Jack's class teacher, and Greek teacher, they have now admitted that they have no time for Brittish kids, or the money to educate them. This came as I was telling the Head, that I would talk to the Government. They have now promised Jack more Greek lessons, instead of sitting in class bored, as you can understand, this is not acceptable. So, even if Jack does not like the idea, we have to look at an English School in Larnaca,or go home, and we don't want to go home, but Jack's education must be a priority. Jack himself says he will not go home under any circumstances!

This seems to be a wide problem in the area, same as the one some teachers are experiencing here in the UK with the influx of EU workers in certain areas.

Pam what about the Xeion, in Paralimni do they not take kids Jack's age? I spoke with an English lady at the coffee morning who teaches there, she said it was a good school.

Post: #34   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Elizavet, Xenion won't take Jack till he is eleven, I have this School earmarked for his Senior School. We have thought of a Tutor, but then he won't be mixing with other kids, and that's important too. I spoke with an older boy(12) to-day who is in his second year in Jacks School, he tells me he has learned nothing either, and that his Mum only sends him to School as there is nothing else to do! This family are returning to the UK in August. Why do Greek Schools welcome Foreign students, if they don't have the training/resources to teach them? This is what I intend to address the Cypriot Government with, not that it will get me anywhere! this is such a dissapointment.

Post: #35   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

Hogarth55 wrote:
Hi Elizavet, Xenion won't take Jack till he is eleven, I have this School earmarked for his Senior School. We have thought of a Tutor, but then he won't be mixing with other kids, and that's important too. I spoke with an older boy(12) to-day who is in his second year in Jacks School, he tells me he has learned nothing either, and that his Mum only sends him to School as there is nothing else to do! This family are returning to the UK in August. Why do Greek Schools welcome Foreign students, if they don't have the training/resources to teach them? This is what I intend to address the Cypriot Government with, not that it will get me anywhere! this is such a dissapointment.

Hi Pam,
The problem is exactly the same here in certain areas of the UK. Teachers are under a lot of strain trying to cope with children of many nationalities.

The Cypriot schools maybe never imagined they would be faced with such a large influx of foreigners into their schools, just as the same has happened here in UK.

The UK is spending million probably billions on translators and printing of articles in many languages, I don,t think a country as small as Cyprus could afford all that.

I am sure the same feelings must be experienced by the foreign families who chose to come and live in the UK.

As for the adult foreginers and asylum seekers I am truly amazed at how quickly some of them have learnt to speak English.

It makes me question myself as to why I have not progressed as much with learning Greek as they have learning English, its amazing how many classes they sign up for to improve themselves.

Maybe others are correct when they say the British are lazy when it comes to learning other languages.

That reminds me I have to make a phone call tonight to our resident language teacher . Laughing

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

English is the international language, so almost everyone, apart from the French, wants to learn.
Not many Brits speak Polish , Greek or any other language, so immigrants almost 'have to ' learn English.
It is not the same in Cyprus as most Cypriots speak good English and are happy to converse in' the international' language.

Post: #37   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

Andrew Brooks wrote:
English is the international language, so almost everyone, apart from the French, wants to learn.
Not many Brits speak Polish , Greek or any other language, so immigrants almost 'have to ' learn English.
It is not the same in Cyprus as most Cypriots speak good English and are happy to converse in' the international' language.

Whilst true that English is spoken widely in Cyprus, education is conducted in the medium of Greek. English-medium education is only available in the private school sector; most of these schools are selective by ability and costly.

English may indeed be a more widely spoken language, but it is arrogant in the extreme to expect all others to learn and use English . Access to all aspects of education and culture in any country depends on having at least a basic grasp of the native language.

Surely those that demand that all UK immigrants speak English are hypocritical if they then excuse British immigrants elsewhere their lack of local fluency? I certainly don’t think that resentment of British expectations that everyone speak their ‘international’ language is restricted only to the French!

It is simply not so that all Cypriots are ‘happy to converse in the international language’. Whilst the degree of tolerance of English speakers is high, especially in tourist areas, there are many who express resentment of the British attitude to language – in Greek of course.

Post: #38   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
bill

Elizavet wrote:

It makes me question myself as to why I have not progressed as much with learning Greek as they have learning English, its amazing how many classes they sign up for to improve themselves.

Quite simply Elizavet it's because they have to ~ to survive in the UK .

But in saying that there are quite a few immigrant women unable to speak English as their husbands / children will usually translate as best they can .

You would be surprised how many Cypriot women living in the UK I know that are unable to speak any English at all and rely on their children for translation and they have been living there for almost all their lives.

I couldn't speak a word of English when I first arrived in the UK but after I'd had the c**p kicked out of me a few times at school because I was "different" I soon learned ~ it was a case of survival .

Because of our abysmal and unreliable summer weather the Brits travel everywhere on the globe in search of a decent holiday with guaranteed sun ~ it's unrealistic to expect them to be fluent in Spanish, Italian, Greek, French, Arabic, Portuguese, Turkish etc BUT it does help if they make the effort and learn some of the basics.

Now if folk are living in Cyprus and have the attitude that every one should speak English then you are very wrong much the same as it would be wrong for a immigrant to the UK not wanting to speak English.

It's only common decency that you should attempt to learn the language of your host country.

Bill

Post: #39   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
bill

Andrew Brooks wrote:

That attitude is so so British and I agree wholly with Keith ~ if you intend to live in Cyprus it's only right that you should learn a respectable amount of Greek.

I suppose that's why the gated and locked Brit complexes are so popular if that's the attitude of immigrants to Cyprus.

It really makes me smile when I hear Brits talk of moving to Cyprus and integrating with Cypriots and their way of life then they move into a predominantly Brit complex as far removed from the Cypriots as possible Rolling Eyes

Bill

Post: #40   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Keith & Bill

You have clearly read my statement, put two and two together and made five.
I did not advocate British arrogance with regard learning a language .
I merely stated the situation, as it is, in my opinion.
ie A Brit living in Cyprus has far less need to learn the language than a Cypriot going the other way because English is widely used and understood in Cyprus.
I totally agree that it is polite to make an affort but it is by no means vital in making oneself understood.
I mean, you can always speak LOUDER ! Laughing
Help on schooling ? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools