Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Ayia Napa Primary School
Ayia Napa Primary School 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
AdamR
Pictures: 0

Hello all

Can anybody please give us some advice on the Primary School in Ayia Napa?
Or any other Primary geared for English incoming children?

We are looking to move over at the end of the year and have three children aged 6,7 and 10 years.

We have been told that the English schools are wanting up to 10,000 for my children per year and this is a huge amount!

We are happy to pay for the extra private Greek lessons but reading all the sites on here we are very concerned for our children being totaly lost in translation!

Can anybody please give us some advice as this is the biggest issue that we feel we would need to face in our move.

Thank you in Advance!

Adam
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

I can only speak of the experiences of friends and aquaintances.

A conversation reported to me by a friend a couple of years ago. His 5-year-old daughter's best friend was named Maria, apparently. He asked daughter if Maria spoke English, daughter said "don't be silly, Daddy, she's Greek".

"Well, how do you talk to her?"

"In Greek of course Daddy".

Kids are very adept are picking up languages (its only old farts like me that have problems), and there is extra tuition for them. Some Cypriot friends tell me that British kids (aged 8-14) in a group I was with "speak Greek like a Cypriot, not like an English-Cypriot".

In some schools toilet facilities are 'basic'.

There has been some reports of British kids getting bullied, but some Cypriot kids get bullied at school here as well (& some British kids get bullied in schools in the UK) so I haven't been able to determine the motive for bullying is "they're different" (i.e. British) or "they're different (e.g. they're shorter/taller/fatter/thinner than the others).

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
G A Decorators

Hi,
Both my 2 eldest boys currently go there (4 & Cool
They love it...teachers are fantastic and will help them as much as they can.
Its free...You just give them 2 euro each for a snack at break time every day.
They both go on lots of field trips.
The school offers free greek lessons to the kids after school.
They have made lots of friends (english and cypriot).
There is a registration day at the beginning of term for all the kids (everyone has to go along and put there childs name down).
You pay (i think) its 5 cyp per child at the beginning of the term and that covers them during school hours for medical insurance for the year.
My 2 are picking up the language quite nicely now but it is quite difficult for them at first if they dont know any greek
Would recommend extra greek lessons for them (just to make it easier on them)
My friend sends her 2 to Med High in Larnaca, think she pays about 3000 cyp a term for each of them.
Uniform is quite simple (summer - white polo top and grey shorts/skirt, winter -grey tracksuit and white polo top)
They all have the mini wheelie suitcases too as its too hot to carry a school bag round.
School hours 7:30 (need to be on playground by 7:45 at latest) till 1pm
They are given all their books by the school.
Its a lovely school with a good mix of english and cypriot kids.
As I said, my 2 love it here and eventually my other little boy will go here too.
Good luck
Very Happy

Last edited by G A Decorators on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
G A Decorators

sorry, eldest one is 8...having major problems with smiley faces and the number 8????

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
G A Decorators

Sorry going a bit off subject here but I am so happy!!!
Well it was the last day in school today (roll on the summer holidays) and I am so pleased with the progress of my 2 eldest boys.
My youngest's teacher is really happy with the way he is progressing and even had a coversation with him in greek which he understood (I was very impressed) and my eldest son has come home with his certificate to say that he is moving up into the next class at the start of the new term.
I am so proud of both of both of them for what they have achieved after only being here for a year.
Well everyone....have a good summer Very Happy

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

ps Med High [UK Curriculum/GCSE's etc] fees are about 3500 euros annually for the juniors and 4500 euros for the senior school.
The general concensus is that if children are going to a Cypriot state school, the younger they are the better for picking up the language, otherwise there can be problems.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
G A Decorators

I am extremley happy with both my boys education in the local school (but they both started there young and have picked up the language nicely and completley love their school but I agree that if your child is older or is really struggling with the language (even from a young age) and is really not happy in a school speaking a different language, to what they are used to, then putting them into a cypriot school is probably not the best thing to do for them.
My friends children went to the local school and did not like it at all so she put them in Med high and they love it there.
So I think its just a case of weighing up the pros and cons to each and a little bit of common sense as nobody wants to see their children do badly or to be unhappy at school.
Smile

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
karmic

I think that young children will always adapt to things quicker. I have a Polish boy (7) in my class who didn't speak a word of English in September. He can now converse fully in English. His major problem is the written work. The older the children the more help they need. 1:1 support is the best way for any child to progress.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Ayia Napa Primary School 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools