Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » Wanted - Traditional village food
Wanted - Traditional village food 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
geordie
Pictures: 0

I'm in Xylofagou in a couple of weeks time and am constantly on the lookout for traditional Cypriot food. I am aware of most places that sell souvlaki, kleftico, etc. and while I enjoy these I would also like to try some of the less well known but traditional foods. I've had fried rabbit-which was delicious, snails, wild mushrooms with green onions (my current favourite), wild asparagas and wild spring greens. If anyone has any suggestions as where to eat or even some new meals it would be appreciated. And if anyone knows the name of the bean stew which the locals have with fresh chopped tomato and onions ( I only know its not the tomato based gigantes )? Also looking forward to a visit to the green door and the guitar bar-don't know it's correct name.........

Thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

There are numerous pulse dishes, e.g fasolia (butter beans), kounes (broad beans), faki (green lentils), louvia (black-eyed beans), cooked with tomatos and/or spinach or other leafed vegetables; as you said usually served with a plate with a whole, raw onion, tomato and cucumber.

Many of the smaller Cypriot run restaurants (even in tourist areas) will have one of these (even though they won't be on the menu) for staff/family and Cypriot customers fasting during lent.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
evo

HI,
i move out on Tuesday.The Green Door is great.Especially the meat balls.
Was made very welcome in the Guitar Bar.Last time i was there in January it was a brilliant night.
Steve.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
hatzyian
Pictures: 10

Check out the 1900 Art Cafe in Larnaca (near post office).

Ian

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
Charnwood Fox
Pictures: 34

Excerpt from a CTO newsletter, September 2006:

Traditional Cuisine
The basis of Cypriot gastronomy contains elements from our long and rich history and the CTO in adherence to the strategic plan has taken upon itself to maintain and pass this heritage on its future generations through the Vakhis project.

The Vahkis project is named after the ancient legendary Cypriot Chef which lived in the ancient city of Kiton (Larnaca) around 300BC.The project provides the opportunity to all entrepreneurs who serve local cuisine and meet the strict standards of the programme to obtain CTO quality certificate for authentic Cypriot cuisine. The project has been set up with the association of the Higher Hotel Institute

The taverns listed below have been thoroughly inspected, were found to comply with the specific regulations and quality standards of this project, and were awarded the ‘VAHKIS’ certificate.

Name of Restaruant; Location (village); District; Telephone number
Lofou;.......... Lofou Village;...... Larnaka district;...... 0035725470202
Kamares;...... Lofou Village;...... Larnaka district;...... 0035725470719
Kazani;........ Lofou Village;...... Larnaka district;...... 0035725470243
Agia Anna;...... Agia Anna Village;...... Nicosia district;...... 0035722532500
Mesostrato;...... Kakopetria;...... Nicosia district;...... 0035726941604
Mandra;......... Oroklini;...... Larnaca district;...... 0035724646040
Voreas;...... Oroklini;...... Larnaca district;...... 0035724647177
Gonia tou Anastasi; Tseri;...... Nicosia district;...... 003572284884
Takis Tavern;...... Vouni;...... Lemesos district;...... 0035725943631

I can highly recommend Voreas in Oroklini!

I have included the Mandra in Oroklini as it was originally in the project. It does not appear on the current CTO list.
A look at some of the reviews on here may offer a clue as to why.

If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
Qui docet discit.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
traditional village food 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Judy Brett

Hi
We found very good cypriot food in Larnaca around the corner from the Art 1900 they mainly do meze and its full with cypriots on friday and saturday nights there is also music after 9.30pm so you have to book. its called ηρα ξλλαδοs tel 24665100. Its well worth a visit.
Judy

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
geordie

Thanks for the replies, I think the fasolia was the one that caught my eye, looking forward to giving it a go.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
geordie

I left the Green Door disappointed after my visit last week, which left me and a few people I spoke to very surprised. I had the meze which was not in the same class as The Shack or Green Garden in Vrysoules. I appeared to be an inconvenience to the son of the owner who almost threw every dish from the meze onto my table. The owner seemed more attentive and was the only person who actually spoke to us, checking if there was anything else we wanted to eat or drink.
I also visited the Potamos Cafe in the village, opposite the butchers along from the Magnificent Homes office. Now this was a very enjoyable experience and I shall be visiting there again. I had the pork souvlaki, afelia, sheftalia, stuffed vine leaves, keftedes an a couple of pulse dishes, not all on the same night!! I went in on the monday night and had fasolia with fried halloumi which was wonderful. The owner then offered to make kounes for me on the wednesday together with the keftedes, which were the best I have had. This place was frequented mostly by locals with a few Brits also there, but this is one Brit who will be there as often as possible, just need to find somewhere for a tuesday night when it is closed.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Wanted - Traditional village food 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area