Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » UK Parliament to shut down today until October Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
UK Parliament to shut down today until October 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Choose your own news source

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Pictures: 0

........ and Bercow to quit.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Mr Tibbs wrote:

IIRC, he said last year he'd end his tenure as Speaker - 10 years after he took up the post.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Kwacka wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:

IIRC, he said last year he'd end his tenure as Speaker - 10 years after he took up the post.

I believe his initial intent was to quit in June 2018, after 9 years. Then he decided to stay on “to see Brexit through”. Those of little sympathy saying that it was to give the appearance that he wasn’t being forced out immediately after the bullying scandal.

It’s hard to keep track but I think after the (108 times) “We are leaving the EU on 29th March” didn’t happen he planned to stay on further. To act in his usual unbiased capacity relating to the issue.

Perhaps I’m joining the former people I mentioned but I suspect he can see the writing on the wall and is quitting, with an eye on his pension and traditional Speaker’s seat in that “democratic”, ermine wearing house next door. Isn’t that the gift of government? Not his biggest fans. Dunno.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

How churlish, and mean spirited, of most of the Tory MP's in not joining the opposition in their applause for the Speaker when he announced his retirement! Evil or Very Mad

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Woodrow Why?at wrote:
How churlish, and mean spirited, of most of the Tory MP's in not joining the opposition in their applause for the Speaker when he announced his retirement! Evil or Very Mad

I have to disagree. Shocked Very Happy The man was a disgrace and, whoever takes on the crown, it will require some effort to return the Speaker's role to where it should be.

He was clearly biased towards anti-Brexit efforts, under the thin excuse that "Nothing would change if we stuck to precedent". When the Speaker's duties are founded on the core tradition of impartiality.

It was some time ago now but I also thought his Trump State Visit pronouncements went far beyond his brief. Whatever your view of the current POTUS.

Bercow was put in place as one of Brown's vindictive acts during his final, scorched earth policy days. Knowing full well what the man was like.

I hope they find themselves another Betty Boothroyd. To Bercow - good riddance.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
dagwood

With regard to the Parliament shutdown, what is the problem? It happens in Africa all the time, sometimes for decades.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

To be fair to the man. Finally, he's seen the light and has become.............................. a Leaver. Laughing

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Mr Tibbs wrote:
To be fair to the man. Finally, he's seen the light and has become.............................. a Leaver. Laughing

No! Wrong again.

He decided to be a Remainer in the House of Lords. Wink

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
clive of payia

Boris spent Friday night in Balmoral Castle with the Queen and advised her to give ROYAL ASSENT to the Benn Burt bill for a cunning reason.
The Benn Burt bill that Boris told the Queen to sign would be written directly into UK law, repeat UK Law and force him to seek an extension to Article 50. Now as we know to the UK's cost EU law over rides UK law. Since any extension is part of Article 50 and is from the Lisbon Treaty it's an EU law. Therefore Boris doesn't have to comply with the Benn Burt law as its EU law.
Boris isn't breaking any laws and can't be taken to court. It's so blindingly simple how did the Remoaners miss it?

Interesting?

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
devil

Bercow was, by far, the best Speaker in living memory. He got rid of many of the 18th-century trappings surrounding parliament whilst maintaining dignity, a tight-rope walk. Equally a tight-rope was maintaining fairness to the Opposition Members, remembering he was Conservative in his private feelings and a member of the Tories for a dozen years from election to becoming Speaker. Above all, he has a sense of humour, so sadly lacking in most MPs. And, yes, it got him into trouble from time to time but, at least, he was human rather than most of his predecessors who were mostly sitting on the chair like stuffed sheep.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Pompous self serving, egotistic, narcissistic, little runt.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

devil wrote:
Bercow was, by far, the best Speaker in living memory. He got rid of many of the 18th-century trappings surrounding parliament whilst maintaining dignity, a tight-rope walk. Equally a tight-rope was maintaining fairness to the Opposition Members, remembering he was Conservative in his private feelings and a member of the Tories for a dozen years from election to becoming Speaker. Above all, he has a sense of humour, so sadly lacking in most MPs. And, yes, it got him into trouble from time to time but, at least, he was human rather than most of his predecessors who were mostly sitting on the chair like stuffed sheep.

What utter rubbish, he was an obnoxious little man who made no effort to disguise his bias and brought shame on his position. He took over and lived in the shadow of Baroness Boothroyd, a shadow he never managed to come out of. A man of little honour or morales a nasty vindictive man. Oh and it was actually Baroness Boothroyd who paved the way for allowing the Speaker to bring the post into the 20 century by making the wearing of the wig optional.

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

devil wrote:

I think past Speakers of principle, such as Bernard Wetherill or Betty Boothroyd, would have been appalled at the sight of the House of Commons Speaker meeting groups of MPs, actively assisting them in their efforts to frustrate the Government. That's the level that Mr Bercow has brought the office down to. Even his departure speech was a typical "Me, me, me" affair, as per his tenure of office.

If you think Betty was a "stuffed sheep" then you clearly never saw her in action.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Mr Tibbs wrote:
devil wrote:

I think past Speakers of principle, such as Bernard Wetherill or Betty Boothroyd, would have been appalled at the sight of the House of Commons Speaker meeting groups of MPs, actively assisting them in their efforts to frustrate the Government. That's the level that Mr Bercow has brought the office down to. Even his departure speech was a typical "Me, me, me" affair, as per his tenure of office.

If you think Betty was a "stuffed sheep" then you clearly never saw her in action.

A very selective living memory.

Mercury Rising

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Perhaps the solution is right before our eyes?

Johnson just has to post his A50 extension letter to the EU in Cyprus. Very Happy

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

devil wrote:

Totally agree, a real breath of fresh air in a totally stagnant environment.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
mouse

Hudswell wrote:
devil wrote:

What utter rubbish, he was an obnoxious little man who made no effort to disguise his bias and brought shame on his position. He took over and lived in the shadow of Baroness Boothroyd, a shadow he never managed to come out of. A man of little honour or morales a nasty vindictive man. Oh and it was actually Baroness Boothroyd who paved the way for allowing the Speaker to bring the post into the 20 century by making the wearing of the wig optional.

Perhaps you didn't like him because he tried to be fair minded to both sides of the House and did have an opinion. Bit like a chairman in any committee meeting, but of course cannot vote. Or a Judge in a court of Law who can direct a Jury but again cannot vote.

Is that wrong. Question

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
devil wrote:

Perhaps you didn't like him because he tried to be fair minded to both sides of the House and did have an opinion. Bit like a chairman in any committee meeting, but of course cannot vote. Or a Judge in a court of Law who can direct a Jury but again cannot vote.

Is that wrong. Question

Oh dear Mouse, Fair? He is totally biased, but to give him credit at least he was consistent. Little man syndrome, and has caused sever damage to its reputation and its government, good riddance.

Mercury Rising

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
mouse

Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
devil wrote:

Is that wrong. Question

Oh dear Mouse, Fair? He is totally biased, but to give him credit at least he was consistent. Little man syndrome, and has caused sever damage to its reputation and its government, good riddance.

Biased, because he doesn't agree with your views or those of Brexiteers.

And has an opinion.

It is called Democracy.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat