Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » 2019 a difficult year for tourism but no need to panic, Depu Goto page 1, 2  Next
2019 a difficult year for tourism but no need to panic, Depu 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

2019 a difficult year for tourism but no need to panic, Deputy Minister says

Although 2019 is a difficult year for tourist there is no reason to panic deputy
Minister for Tourism Savvas Perdios said on Sunday, adding that positive
developments may be expected in the coming weeks with regard to covering
losses from flights that no longer operate to and from Cyprus.

This year is more difficul, Perdios told the press in Paphos, noting that this
was natural after three successive years of record arrivals.

“It is natural that there is a downswing especially during a period when
competition with Turkey, Egypt, Tunis and Morocco keeps growing,” he... [Read More]

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Quote:
but also to upgrade Cyprus’ tourism product and those areas that are necessary to further develop tourism.

Hopefully this will involve the legalisation of the private rentals sector with a workable solution for owners to work/register with the CTO. The private rentals sector is a growing area in the modern tourism market that also involves travellers actually spending their money far beyond the areas of the traditional resorts.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell
Pictures: 0

DAC wrote:
Quote:
but also to upgrade Cyprus’ tourism product and those areas that are necessary to further develop tourism.

Hopefully this will involve the legalisation of the private rentals sector with a workable solution for owners to work/register with the CTO. The private rentals sector is a growing area in the modern tourism market that also involves travellers actually spending their money far beyond the areas of the traditional resorts.

Spot on, the Government really need to push through sensible legislation allowing individuals to rent out their holiday homes, sort out the ridiculous situation with swimming pools and I would suggest instigate a system where AI actually benefits the local economy, rather than just the “hotel”

Mercury Rising

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
lifesabeach

DAC wrote:

Good points. Clap
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
DAC

Hudswell wrote:
DAC wrote:
Quote:

Spot on, the Government really need to push through sensible legislation allowing individuals to rent out their holiday homes, sort out the ridiculous situation with swimming pools and I would suggest instigate a system where AI actually benefits the local economy, rather than just the “hotel”

TBH from everything I've ever been told, or read, about AI the only ones that benefit are the tour companies as very little of the money paid by guests ever reaches the resort or destination.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:31 am Reply with quote
JIM
Pictures: 6

Tourist and UK property buyers and renters will no doubt suffer when the UK leaves the EU, much lower exchange rates and costs for holidays will be punitive, I think Cyprus authorities need to be worried, also I can see no answer for this problem.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:52 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Here in Larnaca, you will be lucky to find a seat in a restaurant or cafe or sun bed, the place is heaving with tourists

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

My house is fully booked. It’s costing me a fortune. Crying or Very sad

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
DAC

JIM wrote:
Tourist and UK property buyers and renters will no doubt suffer when the UK leaves the EU, much lower exchange rates and costs for holidays will be punitive, I think Cyprus authorities need to be worried, also I can see no answer for this problem.

Many of our guests are from Europe, so it makes not a jot of difference. And anyway, how do you know that the GBP won't gain strength against the Euro?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

DAC wrote:
JIM wrote:

Many of our guests are from Europe, so it makes not a jot of difference. And anyway, how do you know that the GBP won't gain strength against the Euro?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Shouldn't this post be in the joke section. Wink

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
JIM
Pictures: 6

DAC. The point is does anyone believe the UK Pound will strengthen?, believe me I am a pensioner and live accordingly, today the exchange rate is £1.07 to the Euro, do I think it will rise when the UK leaves the EU, not a chance.

Remember when it was £140? Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot, or should that be feet.

Rolling Eyes

If the pound falls dramatically for sure British tourists will think twice about going to a EU country to spend their hard earned, maybe Turkey will benefit I guess..

Bars and restaurants are full, they should be as this is high summer, will it remain this way next year, no unfortunately I doubt it very much.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
DAC

JIM wrote:
DAC. The point is does anyone believe the UK Pound will strengthen?

Rolling Eyes

For every loser there's always a winner. You may be getting less for your Pound but the UK is selling/producing more products to overseas markets as to them British goods are more affordable. Obviously, there's a fine balance as products coming in to the UK are slightly more expensive, however, when Free Trade begins that cost will largely be nullified as expensive EU tariffs will no longer be applied to goods coming into the UK. Unfortunately, for you and other Ex Pats you're going to be hit with a double whammy as your GBP will be worth less and living in Cyprus you'll still be subject to expensive EU tariffs.

As for the long term value of the Pound, we're the 5th largest economy on the planet and once the dust has settled and the naysayers have all been put back under their rocks, the economy will undoubtedly grow and that will bring in even more investment into the UK economy and that in turn will affect the value of the GBP.

Only time will tell.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
DAC

mouse wrote:
DAC wrote:
JIM wrote:

Obviously Mouse has been on the Brandy Sours again as nothing but gibberish is coming from his brain

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mouse

DAC wrote:
mouse wrote:
DAC wrote:
JIM wrote:

Obviously Mouse has been on the Brandy Sours again as nothing but gibberish is coming from his brain

Not me, I don't drink.

But we shall see who is right.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
mouse

DAC wrote:
JIM wrote:

Rolling Eyes

For every loser there's always a winner. You may be getting less for your Pound but the UK is selling/producing more products to overseas markets as to them British goods are more affordable. Obviously, there's a fine balance as products coming in to the UK are slightly more expensive, however, when Free Trade begins that cost will largely be nullified as expensive EU tariffs will no longer be applied to goods coming into the UK. Unfortunately, for you and other Ex Pats you're going to be hit with a double whammy as your GBP will be worth less and living in Cyprus you'll still be subject to expensive EU tariffs.

As for the long term value of the Pound, we're the 5th largest economy on the planet and once the dust has settled and the naysayers have all been put back under their rocks, the economy will undoubtedly grow and that will bring in even more investment into the UK economy and that in turn will affect the value of the GBP.

Only time will tell.

I think your reading of the economy is somewhat flawed.

We will still have to pay for this free trade deal.

What it means is that the UK will be free to trade with whom it wants.

Then you treat each Country as a wholesaler.

Take the USA as a huge wholesaler just as an example, will they give for example a better deal to a company that has 27 outlets or to a company that has 1 outlet.

Then you have got to think what does the UK manufacture which other Countries might want, and if they do can that other Country get the same goods much more cheaply elsewhere.

Then of course because imports will go up in price because of the falling pound, things like spare parts for all the Electrical goods we import for example which will also cost more as well as the spare parts.

It is not only us expats that will suffer, we will only suffer because of the falling pound, at least we can still buy similar goods from other EU Countries. The British people will suffer as a whole.

What goods can the UK manufacture cheaper than a Foreign counterpart.

Certainly not the EU because they will impose extra trade duty on everything the UK tries to sell to the EU.

You will probably say that the Germans sell thousands of cars to the UK like Mercedes Benz or Audi or BMW. Because of the cost in the first place the people who buy them ain't going to worry about an extra few grand anyway.

Any expensive high end of the market on any goods will fall into the same category. Those that can afford them will still buy them.

It will be the ordinary person in the street that will suffer not the rich.

The only time it will affect them is if they are in the Manufacturing industry and they try to sell their goods to the EU, or any Country that can produce goods cheaper that they can manufacture. Doesn't leave many does it.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 pm Reply with quote
DAC

mouse wrote:
DAC wrote:
JIM wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Only time will tell.

I think your reading of the economy is somewhat flawed.

We will still have to pay for this free trade deal.

What it means is that the UK will be free to trade with whom it wants.

Then you treat each Country as a wholesaler.

Take the USA as a huge wholesaler just as an example, will they give for example a better deal to a company that has 27 outlets or to a company that has 1 outlet.

Then you have got to think what does the UK manufacture which other Countries might want, and if they do can that other Country get the same goods much more cheaply elsewhere.

Then of course because imports will go up in price because of the falling pound, things like spare parts for all the Electrical goods we import for example which will also cost more as well as the spare parts.

It is not only us expats that will suffer, we will only suffer because of the falling pound, at least we can still buy similar goods from other EU Countries. The British people will suffer as a whole.

What goods can the UK manufacture cheaper than a Foreign counterpart.

Certainly not the EU because they will impose extra trade duty on everything the UK tries to sell to the EU.

You will probably say that the Germans sell thousands of cars to the UK like Mercedes Benz or Audi or BMW. Because of the cost in the first place the people who buy them ain't going to worry about an extra few grand anyway.

Any expensive high end of the market on any goods will fall into the same category. Those that can afford them will still buy them.

It will be the ordinary person in the street that will suffer not the rich.

The only time it will affect them is if they are in the Manufacturing industry and they try to sell their goods to the EU, or any Country that can produce goods cheaper that they can manufacture. Doesn't leave many does it.

Read this then and tell me who loses the most. But you won't, will you, so here's the summary...

https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/potentialpostbrexittariffcostsforeuuktrade.pdf

Summary

- Our analysis shows that if the UK leaves the EU without a trade deal UK exporters could face the potential impact of £5.2 billion in tariffs on goods being sold to the EU. However, EU exporters will also face £12.9 billion in tariffs on goods coming to the UK.

- Exporters to the UK in 22 of the 27 remaining EU member states face higher tariffs costs when selling their goods than UK exporters face when selling goods to those countries.

- German exporters would have to deal with the impact of £3.4 billion of tariffs on goods they export to the UK. UK exporters in return would face £0.9 billion of tariffs on goods going to Germany.

- French exporters could face £1.4 billion in tariffs on their products compared to UK exporters facing £0.7 billion. A similar pattern exists for all the UK’s major EU trading partners.

- The biggest impact will be on exports of goods relating to vehicles, with tariffs in the region of £1.3 billion being applied to UK car-related exports going to the EU. This compares to £3.9 billion for the EU, including £1.8 billion in tariffs being applied to German car-related exports.

But don't forget that less than 12% of UK GDP is derived from the EU with the rest coming from non EU trade and the domestic market.

As for the GBP, don't forget that for every Short position that there is also someone else that's gone Long. Winner, or Loser, there's always two sides to a transaction. In this case some institutions are going Short on Sterling whilst others are going Long on the FTSE 100 AND FTSE 250.

So UK PLC will be better off (the winners) whilst EU exporters will be worse off (the losers). Regardless of it making German cars slightly more expensive the drop in sales from the UK will hit the pockets of the German car manufacturers and when all those workers get laid off, put on reduced hours or 3-day weeks how are they going to vent their anger and frustrations, will it be at the British or the EU establishment for being so power hungry as to try to punish the British for daring to leave???

Only time will tell

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
mouse

So basically it is an Analysis by a pro Brexit body and is talking about potential.

The source is so dodgy my computer defender system has advised me not to open the file.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

DAC wrote:
JIM wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Only time will tell.

Unfortunately there fall in the pound is likely to have will have little (if any) benefit.

As fuel is costed in dollars, imports and exports are likely to be more expensive.

In addition UK exports are likely to attract tariffs making them up o 40% dearer.

The UK is reported to be the fifth largest, but will it keep that position after quitting the EU?

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Not to worry it will soon be Easter Wink

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

DAC wrote:
JIM wrote:

Rolling Eyes

After all the critical outrage aimed at me, for some pretty mild comments, it's considered perfectly ok to say that those who dispute the wisdom of leaving the EU should be "put back under their rocks" is it? Shocked Rolling Eyes

Hypocrisy, or what?!!! Twisted Evil

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General