Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » A Moving Experience Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post: #41   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
scottie
Pictures: 0

Blossom wrote:
cansweet wrote:
Scottie,
Just after reading your post and am I to understand that there are no Nursing homes or facilities for older people in Cyprus? Are families taking care of their older relatives and is there any help from the Goverment in doing so?

There are many nursing homes in every town, ranging from poor to very good, we have a family friend in one in Larnaca, cost is approx €1500 a calendar month, for their own bedroom, sharing with others brings the cost down, clean, and well staffed, but I have visited others where, the smell hits you the moment you walk in, the government does give help, and will pay some of the cost, but only to those that really need it, over here its harder to pull a fast one, because Cyprus is a small place and everyone knows if someone really needs help or not.

I have visited homes for the elderly here . I st after the invasion many elderly were placed on these as a temporary measure. They stunk then and they have not changed .
As for €1,500 a month , if you are a couple how many can afford that amount long term and for how long ? €36,000 a year !
So I am back to my original statement , there is basically nothing here .
Personally I feel I would prefer to have someone live in rather than he two options you have mentioned but that in itself is a big step to take.
It is time the government got it's finger out and set up a proper Social Services structure. It is badly needed right across the board
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #42   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

In the Paphos area, we have similar 'nursing homes' and at a similar price if not more. And yes there are certainly good and bad ones..
But do not imagine that they are similar to the ones in the UK, as they are not..

Trev..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #43   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
Blossom

scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
cansweet wrote:
Scottie,
Just after reading your post and am I to understand that there are no Nursing homes or facilities for older people in Cyprus? Are families taking care of their older relatives and is there any help from the Goverment in doing so?

There are many nursing homes in every town, ranging from poor to very good, we have a family friend in one in Larnaca, cost is approx €1500 a calendar month, for their own bedroom, sharing with others brings the cost down, clean, and well staffed, but I have visited others where, the smell hits you the moment you walk in, the government does give help, and will pay some of the cost, but only to those that really need it, over here its harder to pull a fast one, because Cyprus is a small place and everyone knows if someone really needs help or not.

I have visited homes for the elderly here . I st after the invasion many elderly were placed on these as a temporary measure. They stunk then and they have not changed .
As for €1,500 a month , if you are a couple how many can afford that amount long term and for how long ? €36,000 a year !
So I am back to my original statement ,
Personally I feel I would prefer to have someone live in rather than he two options you have mentioned but that in itself is a big step to take.
It is time the government got it's finger out and set up a proper Social Services structure. It is badly needed right across the board

Quote They stunk then and they have not changed .

your talking rubbish , some are bad some are very good.

Quote... there is basically nothing here ....

again you do yourself no favours posting rubbish like that.

Last edited by Blossom on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Post: #44   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Blossom

trevnhil wrote:
In the Paphos area, we have similar 'nursing homes' and at a similar price if not more. And yes there are certainly good and bad ones..
But do not imagine that they are similar to the ones in the UK, as they are not..

Trev..

Trev I agree with you , my mother in law, is currently in a nursing home in London, cost £4,500 a month, if she didn't have a house the the local authorities would pick up the bill, as it is her home was sold and the cost is coming out of that, plus her pension, as for your reply ''they are not similar to the ones in the UK'', if homes started charging £4.500 a month similar to the cost in the UK, then we could expect the same service.

Post: #45   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

Trev I agree with you , my mother in law, is currently in a nursing home in London, cost £4,500 a month, if she didn't have a house the the local authorities would pick up the bill, as it is her home was sold and the cost is coming out of that, plus her pension, as for your reply ''they are not similar to the ones in the UK'', if homes started charging £4.500 a month similar to the cost in the UK, then we could expect the same service.

I don’t actually believe there is an “appetite” for state provided social care in Cyprus, culturally the “mindset” for care of the infirm, mentally ill or aged is based on family, and there is nothing wrong with that, if you have a family to care for you. My 86 yo next door neighbour is widowed, she lives alone and had a stroke last year, luckily not to serious and she potters around quite happily. But she has had an “alarm” fitted to alert the authorities, a gardener comes around every couple of weeks as does a window cleaner, and a weekly health visitor pops in to ensure she is well. Her medications are of course free of charge and again delivered to her. My mother in Law passed away just before Christmas, she spent her final days in a Nursing Home in Hull, and I must say it was no where near the monthly cost you mention Blossom. She didn’t own a property and yes her pension was taken and she received a weekly allowance, she was allowed to keep £15k (I think) in savings. Yes I have heard the horror stories, but she was cared for with dignity and we were extremely grateful to the staff. Again this is not a competition, but you can not compare like with like because simply put, there is no “like” in Cyprus.

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #46   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

I don’t actually believe there is an “appetite” for state provided social care in Cyprus, culturally the “mindset” for care of the infirm, mentally ill or aged is based on family, and there is nothing wrong with that, if you have a family to care for you. My 86 yo next door neighbour is widowed, she lives alone and had a stroke last year, luckily not to serious and she potters around quite happily. But she has had an “alarm” fitted to alert the authorities, a gardener comes around every couple of weeks as does a window cleaner, and a weekly health visitor pops in to ensure she is well. Her medications are of course free of charge and again delivered to her. My mother in Law passed away just before Christmas, she spent her final days in a Nursing Home in Hull, and I must say it was no where near the monthly cost you mention Blossom. She didn’t own a property and yes her pension was taken and she received a weekly allowance, she was allowed to keep £15k (I think) in savings. Yes I have heard the horror stories, but she was cared for with dignity and we were extremely grateful to the staff. Again this is not a competition, but you can not compare like with like because simply put, there is no “like” in Cyprus.

Sorry I should of said, she is in a nursing home which is more expensive, but i doubt you will find any care home in London for less then three grand plus a month.

https://www.payingforcare.org/calculators/residential-care-costs/

Post: #47   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote
Smoke

Scottie Good Morning
I have a friend who's mother and brother are in seperate "Care" homes,one would not call the staff or the homes themselves "Caring" IMHO the caring fee, for the mother is £100 per day and equally for the brother.Now the brother is in so much debt with his "care" that he now has been told he MUST sell his property to clear the debts.Also a close friend of our's 102 years old,bright as a button, interested in life and all it holds,stories of yesteryear but completely deaf,the last time we visited him in his particular "care" home he had been sat waiting for someone to take his dirty plates away from lunch,and also needed a drink badly,this was in the middle of the afternoon.He lasted less than 4 weeks in that grim place,his only daughter said to me "I expect you will blame me now"!! Just to point out as DAC has done the UK is equally as bad for the old people in "care" homes.
Mrs Smoke

Post: #48   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
Smoke

My mistake sorry DAC should have been Blossom apologies Embarassed

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #49   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Blossom

Smoke wrote:
My mistake sorry DAC should have been Blossom apologies Embarassed

Dont quite understand, your post, my mother in law pays four and half grand a month for her care, and the care is second to none, im sure if someone opened a home here and charged the same amount, then the care would be brilliant, there are poor homes here but equally there are very good ones, ive visited a few and know the difference, but for people to say they all stink here is, idiotic.

Post: #50   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
scottie

Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

Sorry I should of said, she is in a nursing home which is more expensive, but i doubt you will find any care home in London for less then three grand plus a month.

This is just not true . Don't know about England but in Scotland many excellent nursing homes costing less than 4,000

Post: #51   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Blossom

scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

This is just not true . Don't know about England but in Scotland many excellent nursing homes costing less than 4,000
If you dont know about England, why are you commentating then, we are talking about England Rolling Eyes

Post: #52   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

If you dont know about England, why are you commentating then, we are talking about England Rolling Eyes

Apologies . Thought we were talking about the United Kingdom Rolling Eyes
This is a typical response by some English . The figures for Scotland are also in the chart you rummaged about for.
Also nursing homes were not necessarily being talked about
Sheltered accommodation comes into the equation too.
Why dont you just admit , care for the elderly is non existent here and turn your knowledge and energy to perhaps lobby the powers that be that it is time there was.
This problem has been around since the invasion with family units being split and with people living longer has grown . I don't care what the traditional view on this problem I am talking about now and things have not moved on . Time they did

Post: #53   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

This is a typical response by some English . The figures for Scotland are also in the chart you rummaged about for.
Why dont you just admit , care for the elderly is non existent here and turn your knowledge and energy to perhaps lobby the powers that be that it is time there was.
This problem has been around since the invasion with family units being split and with people living longer has grown . I don't care what the traditional view on this problem I am talking about now and things have not moved on . Time they did

Quote why dont you just admit , care for the elderly is non existent here ..

Because I dont think you know what you are talking about, there are many good care homes here, just because you dont think so, it doesn't mean its so,
Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall
For the last time, In over thirty years of living here I have visited many care homes here usually to visit friends elderly relatives.. in all parts of Cyprus, some I needed to hold my nose when I entered, and couldn't wait to get out to get some fresh air, others were very clean and professionally run, as is my friends one in Larnaca, once again your remarks about care for thee elderly being non existant is a load of BS...

Post: #54   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

Because I dont think you know what you are talking about, there are many good care homes here, just because you dont think so, it doesn't mean its so,
For the last time, In over thirty years of living here I have visited many care homes here usually to visit friends elderly relatives.. in all parts of Cyprus, some I needed to hold my nose when I entered, and couldn't wait to get out to get some fresh air, others were very clean and professionally run, as is my friends one in Larnaca, once again your remarks about care for thee elderly being non existant is a load of BS...

My last bit of BS . Why can't you understand . The option of your own home or a care home should NOT be the only option.
Many elderly people live and manage perfectly well in their own home with just a little assistance from Social Services.
1) Meals on wheels
2) Visiting nurse
3) home help
4) clubs for elderly with transport
5) assistance with medical appliances . eg oxygen
6) visiting chiropodist
7) medication delivered to home .
Now tell me all of this exists here
Cool visiting doctor
My mother in law was in one of the best nursing homes here which we paid for. They fed her , made sure she was clean and for the rest of the day all residents sat in a room with chairs placed all around the walls and waited to die , none of this with government assistance .
I have been living here almost as long as you and have been a regular visitor since the early sixties. I remember yia yia sitting on the verandah of her daughter who lived next door , peeling the spuds for the family and I miss them .
But those days have long gone and time has passed , things have changed ,like they do but the system has NOT. It is high time it did and sheltered accommodation would be a good start.
As things are I repeat there are no services for this section of the community and it is well past time this changed .
From one BS##### to the Master

Post: #55   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

My last bit of BS . Why can't you understand . The option of your own home orva care home should NOT be the only option.
Many elderly people live and manage perfectly well in their own home with just a little assistance from Social Services.
1) Meals on wheels
2) Visiting nurse
3) home help
6) visiting chiropodist
Cool visiting doctor
My mother in law was in one of the best nursing homes here which we paid for. They fed her , made sure she was clean and for the rest of the day all residents sat in a room with chairs placed all around the walls and waited to die , none of this with government assistance .
I have been living here almost as long as you and have been a regular visitor since the early sixties. I remember yia yia sitting on the verandah of her daughter who lived next door , peeling the spuds for the family and I miss them .
But those days have long gone and time has passed , things have changed ,like they do but the system has NOT. It is high time it did and sheltered accommodation would be a good start.
As things are I repeat there are no services for this section of the community and it is well past time this changed .

Back in the real world who do you suggest pays for this utopian elderly world were every need is taken care for by the state,

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #56   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Keep the comments friendly folks and it's not a competition - there are
different views.

BTW Blossom please choose another word/phrase rathing than using the
initials - not needed as I have mentioned in other threads.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #57   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Steve - SJD wrote:
different views.

Cheers

Steve

Point taken apologies to Scottie

Post: #58   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

My last bit of BS . Why can't you understand . The option of your own home orva care home should NOT be the only option.
1) Meals on wheels
2) Visiting nurse
3) home help
6) visiting chiropodist
Cool visiting doctor

Back in the real world who do you suggest pays for this utopian elderly world were every need is taken care for by the state,

Perhaps an amount could be deducted from the Cypriot pension, or pay for some of the mentioned. Some sort of means test to see what they can or cannot afford.

Perhaps maybe in time that might be one of the aims of GESY.

Post: #59   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Steve - SJD wrote:
different views.

Cheers

Steve

I apologise Steve it did not start as a competition . Hopefully I thought it could air a real social need ☺

Post: #60   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

mouse wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
scottie wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Blossom wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

1) Meals on wheels
2) Visiting nurse
3) home help
6) visiting chiropodist
Cool visiting doctor

Perhaps an amount could be deducted from the Cypriot pension, or pay for some of the mentioned. Some sort of means test to see what they can or cannot afford.

Perhaps maybe in time that might be one of the aims of GESY.

Just doing this to annoy Kwacka. Very Happy

I’ll get me coat. Embarassed
A Moving Experience 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General