Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » A Moving Experience Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post: #21   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Blossom
Pictures: 0

Lincoln bottom for safest places to live, new crime figures show. A list compiled by the Home Office has placed North Kesteven as one of the safest places to live based on crime rates, while Lincoln is near the bottom. ... In Lincoln, there were 97 crimes per 1,000 people.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: A Moving Experience 
Post: #22   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:
Glad that so far things are good for you . We have talked about it for a few years now but it seemed like such a huge enterprise . You have made it seem quite simple and started me off . However I feel I have left it too late lol . Good luck in the future

That’s the crunch I think. Hudswell’s quite young - well, hereabouts Very Happy - but there’s a threshold where age, infirmity or both will mean that the decision to move back is no longer physically viable. If you’re still fit, love living here but are pushing your luck age-wise, what to do? Confused

As he points out, it’s a difficult call. Sad

After almost 44 years here, going back to live in the UK is not something I would even contemplate.

Right Spanner. 20 years for me, MEU3 and now Gesy, no rule by public school twits who have never even met a normal man-in-the-street, almost no street crime here, we use knives for eating, not stabbing.

I agree with you but a principle concern being discussed was the situation where you live here as an ageing couple with no family and have to face the dubious prospect of self reliance in old age.

As far as knife crime goes I wouldn't think it a major factor if your plans involved settling in a small village near Lincoln,

Absolutely right. It's turning into a Cyprus v UK thread and that's not what it's about. It's about the reality of becoming aged and or infirm here and what one does about it

And that wasn’t the aim of my post, as I stated, I love Cyprus and we will hopefully spend many more years visiting and enjoying extended stays. I sometimes think it is those that have burnt their bridges and have no means to return to their native homeland whom are the most virulent in their instance that Cyprus =Good...UK= Bad...both have there pros and cons, for us the cons of living in Cyprus outweighed the pros of living in the UK, it really is as simple as that.

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Post: #23   PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
scottie

Hudswell wrote:
scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:
Glad that so far things are good for you . We have talked about it for a few years now but it seemed like such a huge enterprise . You have made it seem quite simple and started me off . However I feel I have left it too late lol . Good luck in the future

That’s the crunch I think. Hudswell’s quite young - well, hereabouts Very Happy - but there’s a threshold where age, infirmity or both will mean that the decision to move back is no longer physically viable. If you’re still fit, love living here but are pushing your luck age-wise, what to do? Confused

After almost 44 years here, going back to live in the UK is not something I would even contemplate.

Right Spanner. 20 years for me, MEU3 and now Gesy, no rule by public school twits who have never even met a normal man-in-the-street, almost no street crime here, we use knives for eating, not stabbing.

I agree with you but a principle concern being discussed was the situation where you live here as an ageing couple with no family and have to face the dubious prospect of self reliance in old age.

As far as knife crime goes I wouldn't think it a major factor if your plans involved settling in a small village near Lincoln,

Absolutely right. It's turning into a Cyprus v UK thread and that's not what it's about. It's about the reality of becoming aged and or infirm here and what one does about it

And that wasn’t the aim of my post, as I stated, I love Cyprus and we will hopefully spend many more years visiting and enjoying extended stays. I sometimes think it is those that have burnt their bridges and have no means to return to their native homeland whom are the most virulent in their instance that Cyprus =Good...UK= Bad...both have there pros and cons, for us the cons of living in Cyprus outweighed the pros of living in the UK, it really is as simple as that.

I haven't burnt my bridges and do have the means to return home. However yes, I feel I have left it too late , yet I agree with you 100% 😊
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Post: #24   PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

scottie wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

I haven't burnt my bridges and do have the means to return home. However yes, I feel I have left it too late , yet I agree with you 100% 😊

It’s never too late 😉

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #25   PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

We sold up in the UK 2 years ago with plans to move into our holiday home in Cyprus. The main thing that changed our minds was that our daughter got married here last August and the summer heat was just too much for us oldies.
Also cost a fortune in aircon bills with the house full.
So its back to living in the UK and visiting spring and autumn which feels like the best of both worlds.
It's peeing down here, blowing a gale and I just had to rescue my granddaughter's trampoline from going into orbit. But it's still T shirt warm and a joy to be able to sleep under covers at night.
Paul.

Post: #26   PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
mick turner

Hi Hudswell, I wish you all the very best for your future. It sounds to me that you are doing exactly what we do, hopefully having the best of both worlds. We should all realise how lucky we are. Cheers Mick

Post: #27   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
JIM
Pictures: 6

I wish you well Granville. honest!

As to the reasons to leave we are fortunate all our close family live a mile or two away, in fact and in some eyes sadly I have never been off Cyprus in twenty years, the wife does go for short breaks to the UK but always happy to return.
On CL many years ago I brought this topic up about any future medical problems, as there is little or no help for us oldies you would maybe need to hire help as some do, it has always been a worry to me but after seeing several friends be ill and eventually pass away I do not fear this so much now, I have been told the NHS although far more comprehensive than what we have here still has it's faults as you would expect but having my Father go through this in the UK for sure he had real help during his long illness and eventual hospitalization, I have never missed the UK in any way, we settled in almost immediately and bought a property, never been much for renting I always feel it is dead money, but I appreciate not all feel this island is a home for life, for us it was and still is home. I still love England but I doubt now I will ever visit it again.

I feel those lucky enough to live on Cyprus must in the initial days of moving out here is to take a long deep breath and remember what you maybe leaving behind many forget to do this as soon as they arrive and get the sand out of their feet start to think of family they have left behind, it is a big decision to relocate permanently to Cyprus, remembering it is not a holiday but your new home with all it's oddities and quirks and yes Cyprus has many of those.

I do wish all people well who return to where ever they go, life moves on for us all we can only hope we have a happy landing.

The heat is part of living in Cyprus and why many come to live here, you have to know this before arriving, again you must take this into account you will know just how hot summers are here, but reliably so, rain whats that? Very Happy

Last edited by JIM on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #28   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
carollynne
Pictures: 12

A heartwarming story by the OP Hudswell, I wish you and your family all the luck in the world, I am quite envious and would love to see more of my grandchildren, unfortunately my oh has more than 10 years before he retires Crying or Very sad

Still, i have a cruise from Limassol to look forward to on 4th December
Very Happy

Carollynne
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Thank you Jim, I have always envied you, Lloyd and others that are lucky enough to have their families with them in Cyprus, it really would be a perfect situation for us, but the kids have their own lives and it was just passing us by. But never say never and perhaps when the girls are older we will change our UK to Cyprus ratio and spend more time there. Certainly it is a perfect holiday destination for them when they get older!

Last edited by Hudswell on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mercury Rising

Post: #30   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Hudswell wrote:
Thank you Jim, I have always envied you, Lloyd and others that are lucky enough to have their families with them in Cyprus, it really would be a perfect situation for us, but the kids have their own lives and it was just passing us by. But never say never and perhaps when the girls are older we will up our change our UK to Cyprus ratio and spend more time there. Certainly it is a perfect holiday destination for them when they get older!

That's the trouble with you youngsters. No consistency. Laughing

Post: #31   PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
scottie

JIM wrote:
I wish you well well Granville. honest!

As to the reasons to leave we are fortunate all our close family live a mile or two away, in fact and in some eyes sadly I have never been off Cyprus in twenty years, the wife does go for short breaks to the UK but always happy to return.
On CL many years ago I brought this topic up about any future medical problems, as there is little or no help for us oldies you would maybe need to hire help as some do, it has always been a worry to me but after seeing several friends be ill and eventually pass away I do not fear this so much now, I have been told the NHS although far more comprehensive than what we have here still has it's faults as you would expect but having my Father go through this in the UK for sure he had real help during his long illness and eventual hospitalization, I have never missed the UK in any way, we settled in almost immediately and bought a property, never been much for renting I always feel it is dead money, but I appreciate not all feel this island is a home for life, for us it was and still is home. I still love England but I doubt now I will ever visit it again.

I feel those lucky enough to live on Cyprus must in the initial days of moving out here is to take a long deep breath and remember what you maybe leaving behind many forget to do this as soon as they arrive and get the sand out of their feet start to think of family they have left behind, it is a big decision to relocate permanently to Cyprus, remembering it is not a holiday but your new home with all it's oddities and quirks and yes Cyprus has many of those.

I do wish all people well who return to where ever they go, life moves on for us all we can only hope we have a happy landing.

The heat is part of living in Cyprus and why many come to live here, you have to know this before arriving, again you must take this into account you will know just how hot summers are here, but reliably so, rain whats that? Very Happy

I think your first sentence in this post explains your views.
However without that it is a whole different ball game 😊

Post: #32   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
JIM

Scottie I have always felt it is about commitment, all you can say really, you tried Cyprus, it may not suit us all but if it does then you have won the Lottery! Smile

Post: #33   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quote
scottie

JIM wrote:
Scottie I have always felt it is about commitment, all you can say really, you tried Cyprus, it may not suit us all but if it does then you have won the Lottery! Smile

I did not say I did not like it , nor did Hudswell. We were just pointing out that perhaps people do not look further into the future when leaving all behind !
Getting old here , without family , is a very serious subject to be considered.
Its not a competition , merely a discussion and exchange of views , given by members from different viewpoints 😊

Post: #34   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Very few I’ve known that went back didn’t do so with heavy hearts.

Here, we have quite a big place, which even now can be a bit of a struggle sometimes. Genetically I’ll be doing very well to get another 5-10, although in Mrs T’s case she’s set to last forever Very Happy So, it’s most likely she’ll end up alone. That precludes a passing toy-boy of course.

The idea of a youngish Phillipino lady (we seem to be the only people in the neighbourhood without) has it’s attractions. But that strikes as quite a big thing to take on. Their not being just for Christmas and all that.

Barring the trauma of moving, (we’ve done it 15 times in the past 50 years) returning to the UK - albeit reluctantly - seems to be a sensible solution.

We do love it here though. Confused Confused Confused

Post: #35   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:32 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

JIM wrote:

Sorry Jim, but you are definitely wrong there, it is nothing to do with commitment it’s all about choice, and making the right choice for you. Moving back to the UK was nothing to do with a lack of commitment, we still own our apartment in Kato Paphos and have no intention of selling it for the foreseeable future. Indeed keeping the apartment actually made it easier to move back, the knowledge we have a stake in Cyprus is quite comforting. Our choice was to move back, primarily for family but I must admit since arriving back in the UK you do start to see some of the limitations of living in Cyprus. Conversely of course you also miss some of the benefits of living there. The best decision we ever made was keeping or having the ability to maintain property in the UK, it gave us that “Choice”, a choice some people that perhaps have sold up completely wish they had. Our original plan, and I maintain “No Plan Ever Survives First Contact” was to sell up in the UK, sell the apartment and buy a bigger place in Cyprus, and we almost did...but we worked through it with our heads instead of our hearts...which is difficult to do when being “seduced” by Cyprus ☀️ As I have said family is the clincher, you have been extremely fortunate but your situation is the exception rather than the rule I would suggest, and more importantly you will have family around you when you need them in the future.

Mercury Rising

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
Blossom

This is probably one thread, where it comes down to each individuals, own situation, no one is right and no one is wrong, no two peoples situation is the same, be it monetary/ family/ health/ old age/ home sick/weather etc etc, good luck to everyone, who decides to stay or leave.

Post: #37   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
JIM

scottie wrote:
JIM wrote:

I did not say I did not like it , nor did Hudswell. We were just pointing out that perhaps people do not look further into the future when leaving all behind !
Its not a competition , merely a discussion and exchange of views , given by members from different viewpoints 😊

Scottie that was what I was referring to..as I posted!!!!!! Confused and where did I say either of you did not like Cyprus, please read the post again.

I feel it is about commitment Granville, also I do not think I am wrong, I have already said a hundred times do your homework before emigrating to Cyprus, simple really, you cannot for-see every problem that may descend on you such as health, but over the years I have seen many return some regret this some feel happy that they can sleep in a cool bed, but this is about understanding your reasons to move here, and what you may give up if you do, personally I have always said it was the very best decision we have ever made, again I wish those returning a very happy life, and hope you can settle back in old Blighty.

Post: #38   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
scottie

JIM wrote:
scottie wrote:
JIM wrote:

Scottie that was what I was referring to..as I posted!!!!!! Confused and where did I say either of you did not like Cyprus, please read the post again.

I feel it is about commitment Granville, also I do not think I am wrong, I have already said a hundred times do your homework before emigrating to Cyprus, simple really, you cannot for-see every problem that may descend on you such as health, but over the years I have seen many return some regret this some feel happy that they can sleep in a cool bed, but this is about understanding your reasons to move here, and what you may give up if you do, personally I have always said it was the very best decision we have ever made, again I wish those returning a very happy life, and hope you can settle back in old Blighty.

That is all I have said . Getting old is something that happens to other people , until it happens !
When we moved here the whole of our family set up was different. Kids grow up , get married and the circle grows wider . Not everyone ( me included ) foresees things like these.
You have close family with you , you are blessed in this respect , not everyone is equally blessed .
The bald facts are that there are no facilities in place for the aged here. So in effect this does not concern you as all your family are here .
I have not yet reached the age where I need this but after a health scare last year it has made me very aware of what is lacking.
I don't know how long you have lived here but for the record I have never said I am going back ,nor have I , at the moment any intention of doing so.
I feel we are talking from two lots of completely different circumstances

Post: #39   PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:21 pm Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

Scottie,
Just after reading your post and am I to understand that there are no Nursing homes or facilities for older people in Cyprus? Are families taking care of their older relatives and is there any help from the Goverment in doing so?

Post: #40   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 am Reply with quote
Blossom

cansweet wrote:
Scottie,
Just after reading your post and am I to understand that there are no Nursing homes or facilities for older people in Cyprus? Are families taking care of their older relatives and is there any help from the Goverment in doing so?

There are many nursing homes in every town, ranging from poor to very good, we have a family friend in one in Larnaca, cost is approx €1500 a calendar month, for their own bedroom, sharing with others brings the cost down, clean, and well staffed, but I have visited others where, the smell hits you the moment you walk in, the government does give help, and will pay some of the cost, but only to those that really need it, over here its harder to pull a fast one, because Cyprus is a small place and everyone knows if someone really needs help or not.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General