Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » A Moving Experience Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
A Moving Experience 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
Hudswell
Pictures: 0

Having spent 6 extremely happy years living in Cyprus, firstly a hired villa in Polis and then our own Apartment in Paphos, we recently returned to the UK on a permanent, well almost permanent basis. We always said that there would be 3 reasons why we would leave Cyprus, Health, Wealth or family, as it was it was the pull of Grandchildren that drew us back. We have purchased a bungalow in a village just outside Lincoln, we are not from the area and the main reason was that our daughter has moved here as well, with her family of course. We have been back 8 weeks and are just about finished! Just new floors to be laid and thatís almost it. It was a difficult decision to leave Cyprus, but we are happy with our decision, and we will be returning on a regular basis I, we are now swallows, and consider ourselves extremely lucky.
Moving back was a relatively easy process, we had put a lot of stuff into storage when we moved from the villa to the apartment, so moving that back through PMR was simple, and at about 9cu metres not too expensive. A flight for our little Jack Russellwas organised with the help of a professional ďcarrierĒ , we provided our own travel cage but it still cost £500 for her and Ä70 for the service.
Registering for a GP on our return was simplicity itself, and took minutes, prescriptions sorted without any fuss and free! I have turned 60 and my wife is entitled anyway. This is a big saving as we were paying private at Ä200 a month plus some medication, so about Ä250 a month. This of course goes some way to offsetting tax! Which again was simple to arrange...a call to HMRC and a month later my public sector pension was again taxed at source. On leaving Cyprus I was advised by the tax office to simply reflect I had not been in Cyprus for the over the qualifying period for that year, a tick in a box on the on line form. I of course want to be registered for Tax in Cyprus as I own property there.
On line application for council tax, yes about £1200 a year but here anyway you do see value for money, one bin for recycling, one for the rest, bins are emptied alternatively each week. The communal areas are litter free and maintained by the council, other services are easily obtained. It is actually quite refreshing.
We are lucky enough to be close to public transport if required, a taxi into Lincoln centre is £7, petrol is currently about £1.24 from a supermarket, but in Tesco for example if you spend more than £60 you get a 10p per litre discount coupon.
Whilst on the subject of supermarkets, there is really no comparison, UK supermarkets simply outclass anything I have seen in Cyprus. We used to shop in Alpha Mega and Lidl, it is now Tesco and Lidl. Interestingly I would say our shop, cost wise in Lidl is about the same as in Paphos and I include wine in that. Our favourite Shiraz and Pinot Grigio in the Lidl here are probably only pennies more expensive than in Lidl Cyprus.
Please donít get me wrong, we loved living in Paphos, and miss it a lot, I must admit not so much this time of the year as it is too hot! Our plan for the future is to visit for a few weeks at s time in Spring and Autumn, and perhaps a maintenance visit in March. But for those of you thinking of returning, it really is easy and we were accepted by the ďsystemĒ easily and with absolutely no fuss or questions.
We have been made to feel extremely welcome in our new community, i think we have chosen well and having family close is a joy. Only time will tell I suppose but we look forward to our next trip in November and our cruise from Limassol!

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
lifesabeach

Best wishes. Enjoy your new location.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

Nice to read your part life story and that there's a happy ending. I must say I myself have often thought about spending some months in Cyprus with a view to "maybe" moving but the pull of our grandchildren always wins. Still would like to spend a few months of the year over there and if I ever did what months would you recommend to do so. I'm retired, in very good health and have the freedom of any time of the year.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

cansweet wrote:
Nice to read your part life story and that there's a happy ending. I must say I myself have often thought about spending some months in Cyprus with a view to "maybe" moving but the pull of our grandchildren always wins. Still would like to spend a few months of the year over there and if I ever did what months would you recommend to do so. I'm retired, in very good health and have the freedom of any time of the year.

We will definitely be going out for middle of May into June and July, but leave before Simmer kicks in for Real! And back end of September, October and into November. Spring and Autumn, in my opinion, are absolutely unbeatable in Cyprus.

Mercury Rising
Re: A Moving Experience 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Hudswell wrote:
Having spent 6 extremely happy years living in Cyprus, firstly a hired villa in Polis and then our own Apartment in Paphos, we recently returned to the UK on a permanent, well almost permanent basis. We always said that there would be 3 reasons why we would leave Cyprus, Health, Wealth or family, as it was it was the pull of Grandchildren that drew us back. We have purchased a bungalow in a village just outside Lincoln, we are not from the area and the main reason was that our daughter has moved here as well, with her family of course. We have been back 8 weeks and are just about finished! Just new floors to be laid and thatís almost it. It was a difficult decision to leave Cyprus, but we are happy with our decision, and we will be returning on a regular basis I, we are now swallows, and consider ourselves extremely lucky.
Moving back was a relatively easy process, we had put a lot of stuff into storage when we moved from the villa to the apartment, so moving that back through PMR was simple, and at about 9cu metres not too expensive. A flight for our little Jack Russellwas organised with the help of a professional ďcarrierĒ , we provided our own travel cage but it still cost £500 for her and Ä70 for the service.
Registering for a GP on our return was simplicity itself, and took minutes, prescriptions sorted without any fuss and free! I have turned 60 and my wife is entitled anyway. This is a big saving as we were paying private at Ä200 a month plus some medication, so about Ä250 a month. This of course goes some way to offsetting tax! Which again was simple to arrange...a call to HMRC and a month later my public sector pension was again taxed at source. On leaving Cyprus I was advised by the tax office to simply reflect I had not been in Cyprus for the over the qualifying period for that year, a tick in a box on the on line form. I of course want to be registered for Tax in Cyprus as I own property there.
On line application for council tax, yes about £1200 a year but here anyway you do see value for money, one bin for recycling, one for the rest, bins are emptied alternatively each week. The communal areas are litter free and maintained by the council, other services are easily obtained. It is actually quite refreshing.
We are lucky enough to be close to public transport if required, a taxi into Lincoln centre is £7, petrol is currently about £1.24 from a supermarket, but in Tesco for example if you spend more than £60 you get a 10p per litre discount coupon.
Whilst on the subject of supermarkets, there is really no comparison, UK supermarkets simply outclass anything I have seen in Cyprus. We used to shop in Alpha Mega and Lidl, it is now Tesco and Lidl. Interestingly I would say our shop, cost wise in Lidl is about the same as in Paphos and I include wine in that. Our favourite Shiraz and Pinot Grigio in the Lidl here are probably only pennies more expensive than in Lidl Cyprus.
Please donít get me wrong, we loved living in Paphos, and miss it a lot, I must admit not so much this time of the year as it is too hot! Our plan for the future is to visit for a few weeks at s time in Spring and Autumn, and perhaps a maintenance visit in March. But for those of you thinking of returning, it really is easy and we were accepted by the ďsystemĒ easily and with absolutely no fuss or questions.
We have been made to feel extremely welcome in our new community, i think we have chosen well and having family close is a joy. Only time will tell I suppose but we look forward to our next trip in November and our cruise from Limassol!

Glad that so far things are good for you . We have talked about it for a few years now but it seemed like such a huge enterprise . You have made it seem quite simple and started me off . However I feel I have left it too late lol . Good luck in the future
Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

scottie wrote:
Glad that so far things are good for you . We have talked about it for a few years now but it seemed like such a huge enterprise . You have made it seem quite simple and started me off . However I feel I have left it too late lol . Good luck in the future

Thatís the crunch I think. Hudswellís quite young - well, hereabouts Very Happy - but thereís a threshold where age, infirmity or both will mean that the decision to move back is no longer physically viable. If youíre still fit, love living here but are pushing your luck age-wise, what to do? Confused

As he points out, itís a difficult call. Sad
Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
spanner

Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Thatís the crunch I think. Hudswellís quite young - well, hereabouts Very Happy - but thereís a threshold where age, infirmity or both will mean that the decision to move back is no longer physically viable. If youíre still fit, love living here but are pushing your luck age-wise, what to do? Confused

After almost 44 years here, going back to live in the UK is not something I would even contemplate.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

After almost 44 years here, going back to live in the UK is not something I would even contemplate.

Youíve got your family here of course.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

One of the biggest obstacles of course is selling your property in Cyprus.

Trev..
Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
spanner

Mr Tibbs wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Youíve got your family here of course.

Very true, but when I visit the UK I get homesick after 3 or 4 days, and it is not just family.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:55 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

ActuallyTibbs I was the one who raised the subject of getting older and to I go or do I stay ? On a post yesterday . Hudswell is carrying on from there as well as giving other reasons.
I am pointing this out as it is something that really does worry me and I feel that age creeps up on you , suddenly it seems too late .
When we came , we had a large family. Through time kids have married and the close knit family has branched out in so many directions . Life is what happens when your busy making other plans , as John Lennon said lol
There are no real social services here. One does have the choice of having someone to live in but........
An example of the lack of the caring side. Someone is prescribed oxygen . Sent off to an industrial estate in Larnaka , collects it from a workman . End of , no directions no checking its installed properly , that's it .!
It is a great worry , as is moving back to the UK . The logistics of such a move loom high . If someone intends going back they should do it sooner rather than later I suppose is the answer , as Hudswell wisely has

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Good luck Hudswell
We do seem to have similar ideas. We lived in Kato Paphos. We first chatted on here some years ago when doing the cruise from Limassol. And now we too are looking at a bolt hole where our kids live and doing Cyprus as and when.
Be interesting to follow your comments and see how we get on in darkest Esex. Healthcare,bus passes,recycling,council tax and everyday living costs should be interesting comparisons. GESY,lack of deeds,Brown envelope deals and other quaint Cypriot customs not on our miss list. Will do the counting carefully to preserve our Cyprus tax status and may even vote again in elections but looking forward to such changes. Plus of course the anomalies of developers not developing anything . Who knows if we ever get our PV turned May finally get cheaper electric.
Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Right Spanner. 20 years for me, MEU3 and now Gesy, no rule by public school twits who have never even met a normal man-in-the-street, almost no street crime here, we use knives for eating, not stabbing.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Right Spanner. 20 years for me, MEU3 and now Gesy, no rule by public school twits who have never even met a normal man-in-the-street, almost no street crime here, we use knives for eating, not stabbing.

I agree with you but a principle concern being discussed was the situation where you live here as an ageing couple with no family and have to face the dubious prospect of self reliance in old age.

As far as knife crime goes I wouldn't think it a major factor if your plans involved settling in a small village near Lincoln,
Post: #15   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Yes Tibbsy it was a difficult call but the Grandkids swung it...mind you I will probably swing for them now! 😉 I should say all this was 2 years in the planning! Selling a place in Bath to buy a place in Lincoln, finding a place in Lincoln! 27 viewings in a week and ended up buying one not even on the list! Wanted a ready to walk into place ended up with a bit of a refurbish...but the garden sold it to us! But once the ball got rolling it was a relatively stress free process..I did worry about re-registering with the NHS and HMRC but they were very accommodating and so helpful.

Mercury Rising

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

I agree with you but a principle concern being discussed was the situation where you live here as an ageing couple with no family and have to face the dubious prospect of self reliance in old age.

As far as knife crime goes I wouldn't think it a major factor if your plans involved settling in a small village near Lincoln,

Absolutely right. It's turning into a Cyprus v UK thread and that's not what it's about. It's about the reality of becoming aged and or infirm here and what one does about it
Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Lincoln is one of the worse crime areas in the Uk

Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

And again you have hit the nail on the head! Although it was the Grandchildren that pulled us back, health and social care in the future was a consideration. We lost a good friend a couple of years ago, elderly but sharp as a pin, her body just gave up...and a friend whoís husband suffered with dementia, a big man who was just too much for her in the end, his passing was a blessing. Again donít get me wrong, for those of you with close families in Cyprus, it is a perfect place to be...well almost...itís just too dammed hot at the moment! But please donít believe the hype about the UK, yes in London, the big cities crime is rife..social unrest, but that has always been there..The UK is still a wonderful, place to be, to be from. It is almost impossible to compare it with Cyprus...which in comparison is such a small country..and letís face it not without its faults..

Mercury Rising
Post: #19   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Blossom wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

That's not what GOOGLE says lol 38th wow that's dangerous 😂😂

Last edited by scottie on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

Blossom wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
PatCon wrote:
spanner wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Well actually we have had a double murder in the village this week, a Romanian doctor and her partner have been murdered by a Romanian 22 yo, rumoured to be her son. The whole village is in shock.. and where do you get your information from? Because as usual itís boll ocks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6537769/The-dangerous-places-live-England-Wales.html

Mercury Rising
A Moving Experience 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General