Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Prescription charges Goto page 1, 2  Next
Prescription charges 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 am Reply with quote
scottie
Pictures: 0

Before I start , this is not a complaint but a query.
At the moment I pay €3.50for two months supply of my meds
OK the cost is going up ,fair enough and it will cost me €7 ,still a good deal.
However under Gesy medicines are to be collected on a monthly basis which means for 2 months supply I will be paying €14 euro instead of the previous €3.50.
The purpose of this post is to ascertain that am reading things correctly . I hope I am wrong as that would be one helluva increase
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:31 pm Reply with quote
mac69

Yes I think you are correct in what you think the charges will be .

But when you look at it over a year you will be saving the 3€ fee for seeing a gp every 2 months .

New 7 x 12 = 84€

Old 3.50 + 3 x 6 = 39€

Not good , but we are stuck with it .
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
scottie

mac69 wrote:
Yes I think you are correct in what you think the charges will be .

But when you look at it over a year you will be saving the 3€ fee for seeing a gp every 2 months .

New 7 x 12 = 84€

Old 3.50 + 3 x 6 = 39€

Not good , but we are stuck with it .

It only dawned on me this morning when once again the hospital have run out of my med and I have to pay out again to get it privately.
So far this month I have paid out €90 and I thought I would do the comparison . Have to add I shall have to pay this again next month as there were 2 on the prescription !!
Re: Prescription charges 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
tilly mint

scottie wrote:
However under Gesy medicines are to be collected on a monthly basis which means for 2 months supply I will be paying €14 euro instead of the previous €3.50.
The purpose of this post is to ascertain that am reading things correctly . I hope I am wrong as that would be one helluva increase

I was lead to believe that the cost will be €1 per item, BUT yesterday I had to pay €16.95 for 1 months prescription. Just had a conversation with the doctor who tells me - 1/ only certain medicine and pills are covered by the €1 fee. I will have to pay every month UNTIL I have paid out €150 per year. Once this capped fiqure has been reach our prescription will be free. Included in the €150 is MIR and X RAYS.
Where the fiqure of €150 comes from I have no idea, dr is blaming the government, but this amount does appear on your receipt from the pharmacy.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

The figure of €150 is from the Gesy website.. That is the Maximum you will pay per year for prescription medicines.
In fact if you are a Pensioner you may only have to pay €75 per year maximum

Trev.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
scottie

trevnhil wrote:
The figure of €150 is from the Gesy website.. That is the Maximum you will pay per year for prescription medicines.
In fact if you are a Pensioner you may only have to pay €75 per year maximum

Trev.

Looks a bit like Brexit . You don't know the details until your on your way . The monies I am paying out now does not come under this ruling . as ( because the hospital has run out ) I am having to buy privately , as I already have a prescription which the hospital cannot fill , my doctor cannot supply another.
Shame really that €90 euro could have taken me almost to the max 😂😂

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
dagwood

I think the Prescription charges are only the beginning of the cost of GESY to individuals. Below is the GESY answer to my query on the costs involved. Can anybody explain paragraph 2 to me, please?

"Regarding the Beneficiary eligibility, please be informed that you must follow the following criteria:
Firstly you must reside in the areas that are controlled by the Republic of Cyprus and If
a) you are employed, or
b) you have acquired permanent residence status, or
c) you are a member of the family of a beneficiary or
d) you are insured in another EU Member State.

As for the Contributions, based on the GHS Law 19(1)(δ) you are obliged to pay contribution of 1.7% for the fist stage starting on March 1st 2019 and 2.65% for the second stage on March 1st 2020. The contributions are paid through the Tax Department (– through Tax Self-Assessment).

Please also note that the Beneficiary enrollment start date and more information about the General Healthcare System (GHS) can be found on the website: www.gesy.org.cy. Detailed information about the contributions and the law we have just mentioned, can be found here.

For any further clarifications you can also call us at 17000 or 22017000.

Thank you for contacting us, we remain at your disposal.

GHS Contact Centre
Health Insurance Organisation

Tel: 17000, calling from abroad: +357-22017000
Email:
Beneficiary & Provider Portals: Queries and Complaints Section"

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
scottie

dagwood wrote:
I think the Prescription charges are only the beginning of the cost of GESY to individuals. Below is the GESY answer to my query on the costs involved. Can anybody explain paragraph 2 to me, please?

"Regarding the Beneficiary eligibility, please be informed that you must follow the following criteria:
Firstly you must reside in the areas that are controlled by the Republic of Cyprus and If
a) you are employed, or
b) you have acquired permanent residence status, or
c) you are a member of the family of a beneficiary or
d) you are insured in another EU Member State.

As for the Contributions, based on the GHS Law 19(1)(δ) you are obliged to pay contribution of 1.7% for the fist stage starting on March 1st 2019 and 2.65% for the second stage on March 1st 2020. The contributions are paid through the Tax Department (– through Tax Self-Assessment).

Please also note that the Beneficiary enrollment start date and more information about the General Healthcare System (GHS) can be found on the website: www.gesy.org.cy. Detailed information about the contributions and the law we have just mentioned, can be found here.

For any further clarifications you can also call us at 17000 or 22017000.

Thank you for contacting us, we remain at your disposal.

GHS Contact Centre
Health Insurance Organisation

Tel: 17000, calling from abroad: +357-22017000
Email:
Beneficiary & Provider Portals: Queries and Complaints Section"

Paragraph 2 is informing you what the charges will be and who will be collecting said charges.
You register for tax at your local tax office

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
scottie

tilly mint wrote:
scottie wrote:

I was lead to believe that the cost will be €1 per item, BUT yesterday I had to pay €16.95 for 1 months prescription. Just had a conversation with the doctor who tells me - 1/ only certain medicine and pills are covered by the €1 fee. I will have to pay every month UNTIL I have paid out €150 per year. Once this capped fiqure has been reach our prescription will be free. Included in the €150 is MIR and X RAYS.
Where the fiqure of €150 comes from I have no idea, dr is blaming the government, but this amount does appear on your receipt from the pharmacy.

Must have been a bit of a shock , I assume that is for one month ? When you take into account that they are also taking the annual contribution to Gesy on top of that .
Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
tilly mint

scottie wrote:
tilly mint wrote:
scottie wrote:

Must have been a bit of a shock , I assume that is for one month ? When you take into account that they are also taking the annual contribution to Gesy on top of that .

Yes for 1 month, but thankfully S1 holder at the moment.
Makes me wonder how the locals are going to cope with this.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

So does the “limit” apply to the state provided medication only? Or does it also apply to privately procured meds in the event the state have “run out” I somehow suspect that if you are forced to procure private’s meds’ it will not count against the “allowance”.

Mercury Rising

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

I agree I think it is just the State medicines

Trev..

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Hudswell wrote:
So does the “limit” apply to the state provided medication only? Or does it also apply to privately procured meds in the event the state have “run out” I somehow suspect that if you are forced to procure private’s meds’ it will not count against the “allowance”.

I believe you are correct . This particular medicine must be on their list ( i have tried to check the list but it has 59 pages and is not in alphabetical order lol ) but it must be there because they have been providing me with it.!! In fact that is not quite true they were providing me with an excellent but more expensive one and changed it to this cheaper one two months ago )
Not an over the counter product as it is steroids. The hospital have been telling me they are getting it in but I have had to buy it because I had run out. I did have to show the pharmacist my prescription of course before I could have it .
All a bit of a worry if one has a chronic illness .

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
mac69

If I am reading the article correct , there can be cases where you can get meds at 1€ a box even if they should be more expensive .

If there is no generic the GHS will fully cover the brand pharmaceutical .

The GHS will fully cover the medicine prescribed by a doctor, even if there is a generic .

https://in-cyprus.com/initial-list-of-pharmaceuticals-available-on-ghs-published/?fbclid=IwAR0EYHGwrYwx7wPvmq6COSsMU7FQ9Z9SOHt1RHL_jUQrfvaVf3O34OwmvLs

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
scottie

mac69 wrote:
If I am reading the article correct , there can be cases where you can get meds at 1€ a box even if they should be more expensive .

The GHS will fully cover the medicine prescribed by a doctor, even if there is a generic .

https://in-cyprus.com/initial-list-of-pharmaceuticals-available-on-ghs-published/?fbclid=IwAR0EYHGwrYwx7wPvmq6COSsMU7FQ9Z9SOHt1RHL_jUQrfvaVf3O34OwmvLs

Only if there is no generic then they let you have it for €1
As I say the hospital had already changed me from the original to a cheaper generic . They did that with many peoples medicines in the months running up to the beginning of Gesy .
I will have to check the list but I'm almost certain the generic will be on it .
Perhaps you are thinking of the ruling that , if I preferred to go back to the original , I would only have to pay the difference in price between it and the generic .
Confused .com 😂😂

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
scottie

mac69 wrote:

Only if there is no generic then they let you have it for €1
As I say the hospital had already changed me from the original to a cheaper generic . They did that with many peoples medicines in the months running up to the beginning of Gesy .
I will have to check the list but I'm almost certain the generic will be on it .
Perhaps you are thinking of the ruling that , if I preferred to go back to the original , I would only have to pay the difference in price between it and the generic .
Confused .com 😂😂

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
mac69

Scottie , what is the name of the medication you are looking for , I can check the list for you if you wish ?

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
scottie

mac69 wrote:
Scottie , what is the name of the medication you are looking for , I can check the list for you if you wish ?

Are you sure ? That's kind of you . I keep starting and then things like getting dinner etc get in the way .
It is an inhaler ROLENIUM ELPENHALER 20 x 50
The original was SPIRIVA HANDIHALER .
Thank you 😊

Post: #19   PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
mac69

I could only find these , hope they help . Pages 53 and 55 . I opened the file with Acrobat , it has a word search .

Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
scottie

mac69 wrote:
I could only find these , hope they help . Pages 53 and 55 . I opened the file with Acrobat , it has a word search .

I have answered this once before , goodness knows where it went .
Thank you very much for this information. I am very grateful. Now all I have to do is find out if SEEBRI BREEZHALER is there too and I can breathe easy ( pardon the pun lol )

Hooray the hospital have just rung and told me my inhalers are in. Have paid ou €90 but then I suppose , no harm in having spares . Thanks again 😊
Prescription charges 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines