Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Vet for arrival check into Larnaca Goto page 1, 2  Next
Vet for arrival check into Larnaca 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Harvey
Pictures: 0

Hi - Does anybody know the correct Vet to contact for the arrival into larnaca airport ? we have been told we must advise the offical vet in the area is this correct, we arrive on Monday 28th April which I think is Easter Monday hope that wont cause any problems - thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Buddy

Hi Harvey,

Don't worry, you don't need a vet to check everything. I bought my dong at the beginning of January. As long as you have the correct paperwork you'll be fine. Good luck with the move over.

Sue

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
helen

Hi there

Even though your animal is travelling on the EU pet passport you must inform the District Veterinary Station at least 48 hours before the animal's arrival and supply the office with the date, time, location and number of the flight which the animal will be carried. The Customs Officer then just checks the paperwork is in order

Larnaca District Veterinary Station
Tel:+357-24304275/6
Fax: +357-24304270

here is a link with further info
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Buddy

We didn't do that Helen. I know it states that you should but they really only glanced at the paperwork ask us for some money and didn't even look at our dog. So I really wouldn't worry. The only thing you will have to make sure of is that the office will be open that day.

Sue

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Harvey

Thank you very much Helen & Buddy, I will play safe and inform the Vets in Larnaca I have down loaded the info, I am now a bit worried because we arrive on easter Monday, do you think that will cause any problems ?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
helen

you will have no problem as long as the Pet Passport is up to date and all the pre flight checks have been undertaken and entered into the passport

You only need the customs officer and they are there for all flights to check the cargo

safe journey
Helen

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Harvey

helen wrote:
you will have no problem as long as the Pet Passport is up to date and all the pre flight checks have been undertaken and entered into the passport

You only need the customs officer and they are there for all flights to check the cargo

safe journey
Helen

Thanks Helen , we can't wait its been a long time coming !

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
deedeepuss

Harvey we are taking our dog over in April, and am concerned too, I am frightened about overlooking something silly. You read so many things which sometimes conflict. There are so many websites out there with information, I worry that the one I take on board is the one which isn't up to date. I read that the pet needs a health certificate 10 days prior to flying, then another one said 72 hours Confused . I read that they need to have their flea, tick and worming done 24 - 48 hours, then I think someone mentioned that it should be 48 hours, and nearly got caught out and had it done at 24 hours. I followed the link and read about what to do on arrival, but could not see how much you need to pay once you arrive there. Like you we will arrive out of normal hours as our flight is not due to land until 10.45pm, have you managed to find out the cost to Cypriot customs?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
helen

Hi there
we collected a dog at the airport last week and were charged just under 22.

The flea,tick and worm treatment must be done no more than 48 and no less than 24 hours before check in and the Vet must sign the fit to fly page of the passport

You have to inform the Gov Vet of the arrival date and flight of the animal but all the paperwork is checked by the Customs officer at the airport. It is a quick process, provided your pet passport is up to date, and then you are free to take your animal

Helen

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Big Alas
Pictures: 2

Dear Helen, Buddy and all,

We are flying in March from Heathrow to Larnaca with our two cats and wondered the following please.

When delivering to Heathrow Animal Centre 4 hours previous - what is done for the animals for their toiletry needs and in particular - one of them is diabetic and drinks a fair bit of water and obviously passes that also.

Can we stay with them at the Animal Centre for an hour or so?

When we get to Larnaca, go through passport control then get our cases, where do we find the two IATA cages with the cats in? Surely not on the conveyor belt??

How have other pets arrived and was there much of a mess to clear up?

Do people have much comment on giving the cats any drugs pre journey?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Alan

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Harvey

deedeepuss wrote:
Harvey we are taking our dog over in April, and am concerned too, I am frightened about overlooking something silly. You read so many things which sometimes conflict. There are so many websites out there with information, I worry that the one I take on board is the one which isn't up to date. I read that the pet needs a health certificate 10 days prior to flying, then another one said 72 hours Confused . I read that they need to have their flea, tick and worming done 24 - 48 hours, then I think someone mentioned that it should be 48 hours, and nearly got caught out and had it done at 24 hours. I followed the link and read about what to do on arrival, but could not see how much you need to pay once you arrive there. Like you we will arrive out of normal hours as our flight is not due to land until 10.45pm, have you managed to find out the cost to Cypriot customs?

Hi Deedeepuss , I think Helen has given great advice which we will follow our dog is booked with the vet for flea, tick and health check on sat 26.4.08 at 3.30pm and we fly monday 28.4.08 at 14.15 so that we fall in the 24 to 48 hrs guidlines and we will advise the offical Larnaca vet of our arrival and I have been told to expect to pay approx 20 in cyprus .
We will check Ben in at Gatwick 3 hours prior to the fight and we can give him a walk so he can do his jobs before we leave him, we are a bit nervous but he is used to his box as he goes to work with my husband in it everyday so hopefully he will settle down and sleep on the journey .
Hope all goes well with your trip - safe journey

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
helen

Hi Alan
I would give the reception centre at Heathrow a ring and ask what their procedures are. I only know what I have seen on the TV show but it is a very organised setup as they deal with a lot of animals

Not sure about Larnaca as we usually collect from Paphos but you need to see the Customs officer. At Paphos he is situated just before you show your passports so I would ask around there where he is

I am sure someone else from this forum, who has brought their animals in, will tell you their experience

Regarding the mess we have never had this problem when collecting animals although we have had some to clear up after the trip to the airport. What might be useful is to line the cage with one of those toilet pads that will soak up any liquid

It is strictly forbidden to sedate animals for a flight and if the airline staff have concerns about the health of an animal they will not load it for the flight. You can get a natural calming spray which might be useful to spray in the box. You need to discuss this with your Vet particularly if your animal has a medical condition

Helen

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Big Alas

Thanks Helen,

Yes if anyone knows of where you collect the animals at Larnaca - I would love to know please.

Reagrds

Alan

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
helen

Hi Alan
I have been asking around for you and it seems the process is different dependant on the airline you fly with

If you post which one I will try and find out for you

Helen

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Big Alas

Probably BA at the moment but just possibly Cyprus Airways.

Many Thanks Helen.

Where abouts are you?

Regards

Alan

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

You collect your pet from the customs and cargo shed. As you go into the airport on your left just before the taxi rank, there is a turning with loads of cars parked there and a sign which says Cyprus Airways. Follow that road around until you see a large area that looks like an unoccupied car park with a large shed with ramp at the rear of this , that is the place where you pick up your pet.
I hope everything goes ok for you........Maggie Larnaca

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Big Alas

Thanks Maggie thats very useful.

Do they have in that shed, an animal area or is the cage just put in from the aircraft hold and the cage (baggage) just put there awaiting collection.

Just wondered how our poor cats will be with all the tooing and froing!

What experience of the cargo shed?

Is there a customs person there to inspect your papers then?

Best wishes,

Alan

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Buddy

When we went to collect Buddy, our large dog, he was in his box in the cargo shed. They had put him quite close to the offices. As soon as he saw us he started crying wanting to get out so I stayed with him while my husband sorted out the paperwork. Once that was done we were able to take him out of the box and head home.

Sue

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Harvey

Big Alas wrote:
Thanks Helen,

Yes if anyone knows of where you collect the animals at Larnaca - I would love to know please.

Reagrds

Alan

Hi again Helen - we will be flying via Monarch into Larnaca on 28.4.08 if you hear anything about where to collect our dog from I would be very grateful.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

As Sue posted, they put the animals near the office in thier transit boxes. It doesnt take long to clear the paperwork, 1/2hour at the most, then you are on your way home.
The cargo shed can be a bit noisey but not so it would frighten the animals. The shed is where all air cargo goes. My friends dog arrived being towed on a trolley along with boxes etc on another. We were able to take the dog out of the box while the husband went off to clear the paperwork.
As for a customs person there to check the paperwork, I am not sure but I would hazard a guess and say yes because of the constant flow of cargo arriving.........Maggie Larnaca
Vet for arrival check into Larnaca 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus