Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Annual car hire excess insurance
Annual car hire excess insurance 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:28 pm Reply with quote
gasman
Pictures: 0

Hi
I am thinking of getting car hire insurance but donít know anyone whoís used it.
It looks good value. Any thoughts
Regards
John
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I use https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/
I think I paid £36 pounds for annual European cover. Provides zero excess and WUG cover (wheels underneath and glass).
I have never had to claim but my daughter had cover with them and paid out for a large dent on a hire car in Cyprus.
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

Does this type of cover not mean you pay and claim? Iím sure the likes of europcar, enterprise and others insist with this cover you pay a hire deposit as well.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm Reply with quote
gasman

Donít think you have to purchase both
I used enterprise in March but used a third party insurer
The car hire company want to charge nearly £100 for excess cover for three weeks. An annual policy is less than £50 which when you come out here 3-4 times a year is a significant saving.
Cheers

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
carts320

But what deposit did they require and if you needed to make a claim do you pay and claim from your policy ?

I know when you take the hire companyís policy you walk away with no further issues should there be a claim.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

A lot of these polices are for UK residents so make sure they will cover you if you live in Cyprus.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
gasman

All the ones I have used put a block on your card between £600- £1500
Which is only used if you have damaged the car.
If u use the excess insurance they reimburse you.
Iím sorry Iíve never used this type of insurance before but was trying to get a bit of advice

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 pm Reply with quote
carts320

gasman wrote:
All the ones I have used put a block on your card between £600- £1500
Which is only used if you have damaged the car.
If u use the excess insurance they reimburse you.
Iím sorry Iíve never used this type of insurance before but was trying to get a bit of advice

Exactly what your saying, then only £250 with the hire company policy.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
gasman

The policy covers all of Europe for multiple journeys as long as each trip doesnít exceed 30 days and covers more than 1 driver https://www.insurance4carhire.com/european-car-hire-excess-insurance

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

gasman wrote:
The policy covers all of Europe for multiple journeys as long as each trip doesnít exceed 30 days and covers more than 1 driver https://www.insurance4carhire.com/european-car-hire-excess-insurance

I think this company only insures UK residents not expats.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

These do expats. We have yearly excess insurance with them

https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/

Trev..

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Blossom wrote:
gasman wrote:

Icarhireinsurance asks you for your country of residence when you apply so I presume it's not just for the UK.
Paul.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
Blossom wrote:
gasman wrote:

Icarhireinsurance asks you for your country of residence when you apply so I presume it's not just for the UK.
Paul.

I was insured with them a few years ago, when I tried to renew they told me they were not insuring people living in Cyprus,

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:29 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

Blossom, if you are referring to https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ I live in Cyprus and took out their excess insurance in April, and it is a 12 month policy.

Trev..

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:48 am Reply with quote
tonyl

trevnhil wrote:
Blossom, if you are referring to https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/ I live in Cyprus and took out their excess insurance in April, and it is a 12 month policy.

Trev..

I also live in Cyprus and use this company and have it set up for Australia as well.

(Anyone here old enough to remember "The Shadows" Think )

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:06 am Reply with quote
Blossom

trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

No sorry for the confusion, I was referring to
https://www.insurance4carhire.com/european-car-hire-excess-insurance,

I will take a look at icarhireinsurance, thanks

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:21 am Reply with quote
Catsnip

I car insurance is available if you live in Cyprus. It does not cover hire cars used in the country where you live. So you can not hire a car in Cyprus if you live here and expect it to cover you.

It is very clear about what is and is not covered on the web page. Used them for 10 years and claimed once. UK Hire company charged me for a puncture. Insurance paid out within a week.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Catsnip wrote:
I car insurance is available if you live in Cyprus. It does not cover hire cars used in the country where you live. So you can not hire a car in Cyprus if you live here and expect it to cover you.

It is very clear about what is and is not covered on the web page. Used them for 10 years and claimed once. UK Hire company charged me for a puncture. Insurance paid out within a week.

Hi, I don't think that is correct. It says on their website:
'NO distance from home restrictions'.
That would be pretty pointless if they did not insure you in your home country.
Several people have said they live in Cyprus and have cover here.
Paul.
Annual car hire excess insurance 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters