Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Advice please Goto page 1, 2  Next
Advice please 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
Mike & claire
Pictures: 0

Hi Very Happy

I would like to know from ex pats how their kids are settling in at school,mainly greek schools,are the coping with the language?

Also what career do you hope your child will go on to do after the finish their education,will they stay in Cyprus or return to the Uk.

I am interested because i too would like to give it a go in Cyprus but am worried about my kids in school,they are aged 7yrs and 3 yrs and would like them to go to a cypriot school to help them acclimatise better.

We would be living in Liopetri so anyone know of good schools in that area?

Thanks

Smoggie
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Mike & claire

Does nobody have any advice then or are you wanting Cyprus all to yourselves Laughing Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Jewels
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi Mike and Clare,

Im sure someone will come along and help you soon.
Have you read this thread it may answer some of your questions.
http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=8533

Julie

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
glass101

Dear Mike and Clare,

Sorry for the delay but had a problem posting a reply, but Steve has sorted us out now.

We have a son Michael aged 7 years we were out in Oct/Nov 07 for a trial run to try Michael in the local school in Liopetri. He loved it. He has to go to what they call Kindergarten until September to learn Greek which is free and then he will go to the local Primary school in the village.

We are moving the Big Move in two weeks time on the 19th March and Michael will be going back to school on the 24th March.

Dave and Ness are moving out in April and they have 2 children and one is 7 years old and will be going to the same school.

There is also the Windsor school in Paralimni where they can go for 3 - 1 hour lessons per week to keep up with their English and the cost is approx 46 Euros per month.

Hope this helps you make up your mind.
Regards,

David & Linda.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Dave & Ness

Hello Mike and Claire
We are moving over on the 21st of April with our 2 children, Madison 6 and Finley 2, to Liopetri.
They are both going to go to the local schools for exactly the same reasons as you have made. We too have questioned what they will do when they leave school but have decided that although there aren't the careers that they could have in the UK, we feel that their lives will be more relaxed and safer in Cyprus.
My wife had the big city career and we both now have our own businesses here in the UK. Money isnt everything in life, and it has taken the birth of our 2nd child to realise this.
In our opinion, we would rather have our kids working in a beach cafe in nice surroundings than travelling to London 7 days a week dodging the terrorists to earn a salary that the government can take back off you at the end of the month.
Having visited the schools in the village we are pleased to send them there. They seem very nice and the children are well behaved in the classrooms, speak when they are spoken to etc...
Our only concern is picking up work but we are sure that this will come if we try at it.
Where abouts are you in Liopetri, we are on the Avgorou rd just going out of the village?
Best wishes
Dave, Ness, Madison and Finley
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55
Pictures: 2

It's good that you have other Brittish kids going to the same School, it makes all the difference. I have a friend who lives in Avgorou, she has a son of eight, he started at the local school, but was the only Brittish boy there, and found it hard, so she moved him to Paralimni 4 to be with his friends, however, he has now been moved to St Nic, as his Dad was not impressed with the Greek education, Hmm.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
jane earnshaw

hi mike and clare been out here only 4 weeks living in paralmni. we was all set for my 6 yr old and 10 yr old to go to paralmni 4 which as a few english kids but got here and wasent in the catchment area. we was sent to the paralmni3 school not one english child, which my kids was up for the school but i didnt feel happy with the system they was going to put my 6 yr old who is very tall and academic weith 4 yr olds in a nursery. we then looked at the british base school at ayios nicolos which you have to pay but my children are so happy they are still having greek lessons and my 6 yr old goes to a dancing school with all cyprus children. its ba big decision and its been more harder for me than any of the family but i think it can only get easier. jane
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Mike & claire

Hi Dave & Ness

We have a villa on the Frenaros rd,its a Koutsoftas development,is yours also Koutsoftas?

As far as work is concerned i was thinking about returning to UK say once every 6 weeks to work this i think would bring in enough money for us to live on and while in Cyprus try and set up a property maintenance company as i am a joiner by trade but can turn my hand to most things,We fly out for a weeks hoilday on the 16th April so maybe we will things at things that we`d to sort out.

At the moment we are thinking about going over for a month in april next year for a trial run.

Mike

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Dave & Ness

Hi Mike and Claire.
Our property is a Demetris Ellia property on the Avgorou rd so we are probably at the other end of the village!
If you know where the KEO bar is as i call it on the corner of a junction then we are about 1/2 mile up the road from there.
We fly out on the 21st of April for good and will try to pick up work from then. I am a Heating/plumbing engineer by trade but as with you have done lots of differnt things within our company, fitted bathrooms, kitchens, tiling etc.....and of course all the D I Y at home.
I have sold my buisness to give us around 2 years of survival without work but dont want to just blow the money holidaying!!!!
The kids will be our biggest worry but i am sure given time they will find it easier than us to settle in.
If you are going to be around still on the 22nd we may get to meet up for a beer and chat? It will be nice to meet some more of the villagers.... we have already met most of our neighbours and also Ronnie the plumber who has just moved into the village himself. Our 2 chidren are Madison 6 and Finley 2 so they are about the same age as yours. It has been a very hard decision to go as we are giving up alot financially but believe the kids will benefit ultimately so have to give it a go. Keep in touch and feel free to E-Mail us.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
j m 43

HI ALL
Its good to hear about people who are in same boat as myself.I will be moving to Cyprus on the 14th May with my wife and 2 boys Ben 5 and Charlie 2.I was over in Jan and got Ben sorted in Paralimmini 4.He will start Sept 08 in the kindergarden, they hold him back a year to help him pick up the greek.Good luck
Jamie,Lee,Ben and Charlie

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
glass101

Dear Dave & Ness and Mike & Clare,

Our house is in the centre of Liopetri close to the school. Our container arrives on Wednesday and we fly out on the 19th March. Maybe we could all meet for a beer or two (David says three). We will be staying in Kapparis until the container arrives.

Michael will start school on the 25th March.

We will E.Mail you when we arrive in Cyprus with contact details.

Regards,

David, Linda& Michael.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Jamie, Your little boy is starting school at the right time, I'm sure he will love it. Our Jack who is ten in July goes to Paralimni 4, he is doing very well, and the teachers are very nice, and caring.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Dave & Ness

Hello David, Linda and Michael.
Sounds like a plan!
We to will be staying in Kapparis, untill our furniture arrives, in our apartment. Where abouts in Kapparis are you David? We are in Yiasemi Court if you know it.

Dave

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
Mike & claire

Hi all Very Happy

Sounds like a great idea,i`m sure we could squeeze one last keo in side me before we leave for the uk Sad Sad , i think i know where your property is as we had a look at them last year its next to the delicious bakery if im not mistaken Drool lol.

Would be good to hear how you got things in motion regarding the move and of course the kids are of a similiar age so would be good for them too.

Mike

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Dave & Ness

You are right, our back garden faces the bakery which is a nightmare!
Hopefully the wind will be blowing the opposite way so we dont get the smell of it aswell!!
Apparantly, if you buy one of the large apple pies, you get a free 1 litre tubb of ice cream....thats the puddings sorted of an evening.
Our Cyprus mobile number is 99288175 so you can give us a bell when we are over to sort out a meeting up.
We tried the little resturant on the right before ours last time we were out and the food was fantastic, we had a meze with the developer and his family (2nd time we have been taken out) and it was really good.
We have had holiday apartments in Kapparis for 4 years now hense the amount of time we have spent over there. There just seemed more reasons to move over than to stay in the UK in the end so we took the plung before the kids got too old to adjust. We luckily sold our house last year to an investor who we rent it back off of, didnt advertise it, just sort of fell into place really and we goy more than we would have marketed the place for. You know the saying its meant to be, well it has pretty much been like that all the way through, everything has pretty much fell into place. The schools looked good and the village as a whole seems right. I wont keep going on, read our moving diary and it will give you more information on it all.
Best wishes

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

school 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
j m 43

HI PAM
Good to hear your son is enjoying the school.This is a small worry i have for my son Ben that he settels ok but when i was there in Jan the headmaster of the school and head misstress of the kindergarden could not do enough. She is even going to let him go for the last month of this term to get used to it.Also how have your family setteled in.Ive read some posts amd you seem to be enjoying it.I relly cant wait.
JAMIE

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
glass101

Dear Dave & Ness and Mike & Claire,

I have sent you both an E.Mail with our Contact details on.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

David & Linda.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Jamie, You will find the school pretty laid back, and the female teachers look like they are going off to a club! they really dress up.
Jack is our Grandson, who we have custody of, he has settled in very well, with no thought of returning to the UK, and neither do we. The first three months were qiute hard, and also the first visit by our son was even harder, but we have settled down now, and love living here. when you wake up to the sunshine, you wonder how you could live anywhere else! work seems to be the bugbear here for young families, and this seems to be the main reason for going back to Blighty. If you have work, you will love it here, and the kids will be safe, and happy.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
lindypops

Hello Jane, I am Pams friend, the one with the son of 8, I was not impressed with the greek schools and our son now goes to Ay Nik, have you put your kids there or did you go for Parlimmni 4? How are you finding it here?

Linda
ADVICE PLEASE 
Post: #20   PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
j m 43

HI LINDA
Dont want to be noisey but what schools did your son attend and what where the problems you had with them.My son will be going to the 4th parliminni in sept.And what is the the school your son attends now,is it a privite school.
THANKS JAMIE
Advice please 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools