Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General » MEU1
MEU1 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
SilkmaninCyprus
Pictures: 0

When you get your MEU1, do the Cypriot authorities contact the UK authorities with the information?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
Blossom

The Uk and Cypriot authorities share a lot of information. not sure about your question, but there is a possibility.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
KIZI

An interesting question I'd be interested to know and if they do, does the same apply to the MEU3?

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
ROB

What is the difference between MEU 1 & MEU 3?
Thanks in advance.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy,”
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: MEU1 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

SilkmaninCyprus wrote:
When you get your MEU1, do the Cypriot authorities contact the UK authorities with the information?

I don't know about the MEU1/2 but they seemed to have a direct connection with the UK's DVLA when the MoT at Larnaka raised an issue about my 'antique' UK paper driving license which I was exchanging for a RoC driving license.
The counter clerk serving me first spoke to her boss who in turn spoke to the Test Officer who had kindly filled in the transfer application form for me.
The Test Officer phoned, presumably Swansea spoke in English and got a password which he wrote down and accessed 'a system' on the counter clerks computer which cleared up the problem.

I do know that Government Health authorities here in Cyprus have contact with the UK's Pension Service as it was UK DWP/NHS paperwork that I helped the hospital administrator complete after my Cypriot wife who's in receipt of a UK state pension had a first class triple heart bypass and a replacement Aortic valve operation. As to if the forms were a claim for additional payment from the DWP I can't say as the administrator did not elaborate further.

Given the state of current UK politics, both those of government and opposition it might not be a bad idea for the UK to invite a Cypriot take over of the country and provide some common sense government🙈

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
KIZI

Strange experience you had trying to exchange your driving licence. I changed mine in March this year. That was an old paper licence valid from 1977, due to expire on my 70th in March 2020. Dept. of Transport in Aradippou made no comment, checked over and signed the request form I'd completed,looked at my passport and MEU3 and said it would be ready in about 2 weeks. Maybe some 'officials' doing licence exchanges have their own
quirks! Or maybe they're not too busy,the man who looked over my form was one of the test examiners filling in his time between tests.

KIZI

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

ROB wrote:
What is the difference between MEU 1 & MEU 3?
Thanks in advance.

The MEU3 is the Permanent Residence Certificate
The MEU1 is the Registration Certificate

You can't get the MEU3 until you have lived in Cyprus for five years so
you have to get the MEU1 within four months of your arrival to live in
Cyprus.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
ROB

Thanks Steve, that makes sense now.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy,”

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

KIZI wrote:
Strange experience you had trying to exchange your driving licence. I changed mine in March this year. That was an old paper licence valid from 1977, due to expire on my 70th in March 2020. Dept. of Transport in Aradippou made no comment, checked over and signed the request form I'd completed,looked at my passport and MEU3 and said it would be ready in about 2 weeks. Maybe some 'officials' doing licence exchanges have their own
quirks! Or maybe they're not too busy,the man who looked over my form was one of the test examiners filling in his time between tests.

KIZI

It was around eleven years ago when I exchanged my old UK paper license for an RoC license when holding an RoC license became a requirement of my employment. The counter clerk at Aradippou and her boss seemed to be unfamiliar with the old UK paper license and asked for a UK Photo ID type license to go with the paper license which of course I would not have held. The Test Officer* who had filled in my license exchange form knew about the two valid UK license types and perhaps needed to demonstrate how to obtain DVLA confirmation of license validity and vehicle type eligibility to the front desk staff.

In fairness to the front desk staff at that time they couldn't really have been expected to know every quirk of foreign driver licensing and perhaps they had never seen a UK paper license before, the other UK citizens who did the same job as me and who were considerably younger all had UK Photo ID type licenses which they exchanged without any enquiries being made of the DVLA. As this was a time before the RoC adopted the Photo ID card type license I supplied my own photographs and the RoC license was issued there and then.

*Test Officer, a senior supervisory administrive non managerment grade or an A6/A7 in the Cypriot Civil Service as per the old British Civil Service grades which the RoC retained after independence.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » General