Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Meu 3
Meu 3 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
mick turner
Pictures: 0

Hi Nigel,

My wife and I applied for a meu 1 form a couple of months ago, thinking this was the correct thing to do after attending a High Commissioner meeting locally. We do not want to be permanent residents, but spend quite a lot of time in Cyprus in our holiday home. We went to the immigration dept in Derynia, and were surprised at how helpful the staff were after hearing some horror stories. We completed the forms with the help of the staff, paid our monies and were told the forms could take up to 6 months to arrive. Today they arrived! However, the certificates are for Meu3, permanent residence which we do not want. We have been back to the immigration office and tried to explain that we want meu1, but they insisted our meu3 is the same! I asked why they issue both forms and got a shrug, she said we donít need to change anything. I am now concerned that if we donít change to meu1 , it will affect our rights back in U.K. what is your take/ advice on this please.

Cheers Mick
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

I don't see a problem, provided you spend a minimum of 183 days/year in the UK. As your passport will be stamped (after Brexit) when you enter/leave the UK, this can easily be proven, also when you enter/leave CY.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
alan99

Good point Mick

The BHC in Cyprus recently stated that they will be checking Uk people who are resident in Cyprus that they are not using a EHIC , which points towards not be eligible for the NHS healthcare in UK ,if under pension age..

Also I stand to be corrected.
Don't the Cyprus authorities expect meu3 holders to be present for at least 183 days pa. As part of their legal status .Aren't they required to file a tax return and are counted as Cyprus tax resident
This may or may not give the Uk NHS an excuse to bar meu3 expats from NHS??

Welcome comments on this.

Alan
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi Mick

Don't worry - the MEU3 will not affect your rights in the UK.

My wife and I have been registered as permanent residents in Cyprus since 2002 and pay our taxes here - it hasn't affected our rights to healthcare etc.

But I can't see any reason why you wanted to register in the first place if you're not here for more than 183 days/year.

Regards,

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote
finikaka

Ah Nigel,just the man to answer the question ive been asking.When you swapped your pre eu permanent residence paperwork for the meu3 was it a straigtforward replacement as stated on the ministry website or did you have to go through the whole process?

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
mick turner

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for getting back to me. We applied for the meu1 after attending a meeting by the High Commissioner who said that if we got this, we would have the existing rights we have, after Brexit, if the rules changed. The main benefit to us would be to stay for longer than 90 days at a time. This is why it should have been meu1 and not MEU3 which we now have, as we are temporary visitors, not permanent?

If we donít need to be concerned, great.

Cheers Mick

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi finikaka

You have to go through the process as described at http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf/All/D1D71A1CD6E43223C2257D2C00459524?OpenDocument

When you make an appointment at Immigration they will advise you what documents you need to bring - and two passport photographs.

We got a letter from the bank saying we'd been good customers since 2002 (I think it cost Ä10.00) plus a letter from the Electricity Authority listing our charges for a number of previous years (this was free.)

In addition we had to take birth & marriage certificates - originals plus a copy, MEU1s plus copies.

Plus Ä20.00 each.

I think that was all.

I got a call a week later from Immigration who gave me papers confirming acceptance. Then we waited four months for Nicosia to get their act together and send the MEU3s.

Regards,

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:18 am Reply with quote
finikaka

Thanks Nigel...Seems our permanent residence granted in 1991 counts for nothing!!!

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ajax

Would just like to add to Nigelís post about requirements for MEU3 - we applied for ours in Larnaca and you do not need passport photos as they take them there now.
Oh, and Hellenic charged us 20Ä for a letter, although at the end of the day it was not really required. We did also get a letter from our local Mukthar to say how long we had lived here, but again it wasnít a necessity.
Also we got our slips within 3 weeks.
Meu 3 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question