Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Paying Tax in Cyprus Goto page 1, 2  Next
Paying Tax in Cyprus 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote
SilkmaninCyprus
Pictures: 0

My wife and I wish to register for tax in Cyprus. Can anyone tell us how to go about this and whether we need to complete any UK and Cypriot paperwork?
Thanks.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Paying Tax in Cyprus 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:28 pm Reply with quote
madmum

SilkmaninCyprus wrote:
My wife and I wish to register for tax in Cyprus. Can anyone tell us how to go about this and whether we need to complete any UK and Cypriot paperwork?
Thanks.

I have found there is a DT form on gov UK website to do this. but altho it was updated in 2019 reading it made it sound like was optional to pay tax here of in UK. but told we have to register for tax in cyprus.
lots of questions and have to put date my husband received first pension payment. no idea of that as was i guess 4-5 years ago
hoping if go to tax office here they can arrange it without this form
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:14 am Reply with quote
Anne Randle

Hi,
You will each need a DT form. The tax authorities here will process your application to register and then send that form to HMRC to inform them that you will be taxed in Cyprus.

Regards,

Anne
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
gazzaga

Anne Randle wrote:
Hi,
You will each need a DT form. The tax authorities here will process your application to register and then send that form to HMRC to inform them that you will be taxed in Cyprus.

Regards,

Anne

Spot on Anne.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
jeba

Today I finally came around to register with the tax office as I read that as of this year itīs mandatory even if you donīt have taxable income.

I received a "certificate of taxpayer identification data" which I think might be incorrect. Firstly, even though I submitted a copy of my German ID it says under citizenship that Iīm Cypriot (if I read the Greek letters correctly) and the "Initiation date of IT obligation" is given as 1.1.2019 even though I moved to Cyprus in 2016 already (as they could have taken from the copy of my yellow slip).

Is it worth the hassle of going there again and queue again to have that corrected? Can that be done online? Does anybody know the URL of a website I could use for that correction?

Under ""Acitivity" it says "0 - *". Does anybody have an idea of what this might mean?

Another question: what is the difference between the TIC (I gues this stands for taxpayer identification code?) and the "Unique TAXISnet registration number"?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
scottie

jeba wrote:
Today I finally came around to register with the tax office as I read that as of this year itīs mandatory even if you donīt have taxable income.

I received a "certificate of taxpayer identification data" which I think might be incorrect. Firstly, even though I submitted a copy of my German ID it says under citizenship that Iīm Cypriot (if I read the Greek letters correctly) and the "Initiation date of IT obligation" is given as 1.1.2019 even though I moved to Cyprus in 2016 already (as they could have taken from the copy of my yellow slip).

Is it worth the hassle of going there again and queue again to have that corrected? Can that be done online? Does anybody know the URL of a website I could use for that correction?

Under ""Acitivity" it says "0 - *". Does anybody have an idea of what this might mean?

Another question: what is the difference between the TIC (I gues this stands for taxpayer identification code?) and the "Unique TAXISnet registration number"?

The TIC number is your pass code to enable you to bring up your file and to do your yearly tax return for Gesy .This tax is separate to your normal tax payment
They are only interested as of ,2019 as this is the year the law made it that you had to register . It is not retrospective.
Do you work ? If you don't then the answer to your activity would be " 0 ," one would assume
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:46 am Reply with quote
jeba

scottie wrote:

The TIC number is your pass code to enable you to bring up your file and to do your yearly tax return for Gesy .This tax is separate to your normal tax payment
They are only interested as of ,2019 as this is the year the law made it that you had to register . It is not retrospective.
Do you work ? If you don't then the answer to your activity would be " 0 ," one would assume

Iīm a pensioner with a S1 form - so I donīt have to register with or contribute to GESY.
Having slept about it it occurred to me that being "declared" Cypriot might affect my claim to non-dom status. So I think Iīll better queue again to have that corrected. Or do you know of a website I could to that on?

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 am Reply with quote
scottie

jeba wrote:
scottie wrote:

Iīm a pensioner with a S1 form - so I donīt have to register with or contribute to GESY.
Having slept about it it occurred to me that being "declared" Cypriot might affect my claim to non-dom status. So I think Iīll better queue again to have that corrected. Or do you know of a website I could to that on?

If you want to use Gesy you do have to register for Gesy with a doctor and you do have to register for tax . It is not certain that we won't have to pay yet . But fir sure you, like everyone else do have to register both places . Can't make it any clearer

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
jeba

scottie wrote:

If you want to use Gesy you do have to register for Gesy with a doctor and you do have to register for tax . It is not certain that we won't have to pay yet . But fir sure you, like everyone else do have to register both places . Can't make it any clearer

No, S1 holders donīt have to register for GESY nor do they have to contribute. I specifically asked them and got it in writing. Of course, you canīt benefit from it if you donīt register. But for German pensioners like me it doesnīt make sense in my view to join because if they do they will lose cover of their German public health insurance.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
Anne Randle

This is what GESY replied to me

We would like to inform you that since you are a EU citizen and your ordinary residence is in the areas controlled by the Cyprus Government and you are an S1 holder, then you are a beneficiary and you will be able to enroll to the GHS.

In order to receive healthcare services as a beneficiary, you will have to enroll to the GHS and later on register to a Personal Doctor’s list. Please be informed that the beneficiary enrollment has not begun yet. The exact date for the beneficiary enrollment will be announced on the GHS website (www.gesy.org.cy) at a later stage. Once the enrollment begins, you will be able to enroll to the GHS through our website.

We would like to inform you that as an S1 document holder, which document was issued by another EU country, you have no obligation for the GHS contribution payments.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
jeba

Anne Randle wrote:

We would like to inform you that as an S1 document holder, which document was issued by another EU country, you have no obligation for the GHS contribution payments.

Exactly, and you donīt have to join Gesy either but are free to use your existing health insurance (as a S1 holder, that is).

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:11 am Reply with quote
scottie

jeba wrote:
Anne Randle wrote:

Exactly, and you donīt have to join Gesy either but are free to use your existing health insurance (as a S1 holder, that is).

You still have to get a tax code . No one is exempted from doing this . Everyone who resides here must register for tax

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
jeba

scottie wrote:
jeba wrote:
Anne Randle wrote:

You still have to get a tax code . No one is exempted from doing this . Everyone who resides here must register for tax

Yes, but only as of this year and only if you spend at least 180 days in Cyprus.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
scottie

jeba wrote:
scottie wrote:
jeba wrote:
Anne Randle wrote:

Yes, but only as of this year and only if you spend at least 180 days in Cyprus.

If you don't spend 180 days in Cyprus you should have no interest in Gesy
Feel you are just being difficult

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

scottie wrote:
jeba wrote:
scottie wrote:
jeba wrote:
Anne Randle wrote:

It seems to me he wants to keep his cake and eat it.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
jeba

[quote="scottie"]
jeba wrote:

Where did I say Iīm spending less than 180 days? I usually do spend more. Just not this year probably.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
madmum

jeba wrote:
Anne Randle wrote:

who told you this? would be good if its true. as its said we wont have to pay into Gesy at least till end of 2020 it would make sense. then sign up if need to then

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
scottie

[quote="jeba"]
scottie wrote:
jeba wrote:

Where did I say Iīm spending less than 180 days? I usually do spend more. Just not this year probably.

You are just boring now. Let it lie

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
jeba

madmum wrote:
jeba wrote:
Anne Randle wrote:

who told you this? would be good if its true. as its said we wont have to pay into Gesy at least till end of 2020 it would make sense. then sign up if need to then

I emailed them and among others received this:
Quote:
If you want to receive healthcare services within the GHS, then you will have to enroll to the System and register to a Personal Doctor’s list. Please note that either you enroll or not, you will not pay a contribution since you are an S1 holder. If you do not wish to enroll, then you are not obliged to and therefore you can pay the costs of treatment on your own.

Thank you for contacting us, we remain at your disposal.

GHS Contact Centre

Health Insurance Organisation

Tel: 17000, calling from abroad: +357-22017000

Email:

And I asked my German health insurance for advice and was told that if I enroll in GESY Iīll lose their cover (which Iīd like to keep as they will refund me the cost of private doctors / hospitals capped at German rates).

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
scottie

jeba wrote:
madmum wrote:
jeba wrote:
Anne Randle wrote:

I emailed them and among others received this:
Quote:
If you want to receive healthcare services within the GHS, then you will have to enroll to the System and register to a Personal Doctor’s list. Please note that either you enroll or not, you will not pay a contribution since you are an S1 holder. If you do not wish to enroll, then you are not obliged to and therefore you can pay the costs of treatment on your own.

Thank you for contacting us, we remain at your disposal.

GHS Contact Centre

Health Insurance Organisation

Tel: 17000, calling from abroad: +357-22017000

Email:

And I asked my German health insurance for advice and was told that if I enroll in GESY Iīll lose their cover (which Iīd like to keep as they will refund me the cost of private doctors / hospitals capped at German rates).

Madmum , this person is in a totally different situation to yourself. It appears they never have used the hospital here because he/she has private medical cover.
She,,/ he is also German , again they come under a different umbrella ie they never did have a reciprocal agreement before the EU ?
It sounds to me you are having a bit of a struggle with this as it is and all jeba is doing is muddying the waters. Hope you manage to work your way through this muddle . Good luck
Paying Tax in Cyprus 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues