Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Pensioner and Tax Confused Goto page 1, 2  Next
Pensioner and Tax Confused 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
SilkmaninCyprus
Pictures: 0

I am a pensioner, paying tax on my income in the U.K.
Do I need to register for tax here in Cyprus and do I need to pay to become a part of the new GESY system?
Any advice most welcome

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
madmum

my husband is in the same position. understand from last year we have to register for tax in cyprus and pay here. but havent got around to it yet

if you are getting a state pension and have the S1 form then from what i understand you will not have to pay for GESY
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Pensioner and Tax Confused 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
scottie

SilkmaninCyprus wrote:
I am a pensioner, paying tax on my income in the U.K.
Do I need to register for tax here in Cyprus and do I need to pay to become a part of the new GESY system?
Any advice most welcome

Yes you do have to get a tax reference number. No decision has been made public as to whether we will have to pay or not
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
mac69

scottie wrote:

No decision has been made public as to whether we will have to pay or not

Sorry Scottie , you are wrong , there has been a decision made public .

ďThe Cypriot authorities have confirmed that UK state pensioners who are also S1 form holders will be entitled to free state healthcare under GESY, but they will need to register. ď
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
scottie

mac69 wrote:
scottie wrote:

No decision has been made public as to whether we will have to pay or not

Sorry Scottie , you are wrong , there has been a decision made public .

ďThe Cypriot authorities have confirmed that UK state pensioners who are also S1 form holders will be entitled to free state healthcare under GESY, but they will need to register. ď

I think you missed out part of the statement it did say for at least a year . Cyprus will have to do as Brussels says . Even Cypriots will not be entitled to " free" health care , they will all have to contribute to Gesy

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/03/29/expats-healthcare-cover-in-cyprus-to-continue-temporarily-in-a-no-deal-brexit/

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
mac69

madmum wrote:
my husband is in the same position. understand from last year we have to register for tax in cyprus and pay here. but havent got around to it yet

if you are getting a state pension and have the S1 form then from what i understand you will not have to pay for GESY

I do not think you are wise not getting round to it , I think they might hit you with a fine when eventually you do .

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:17 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

Besides any view point on whether or not people residing here for x days per year etc. should be in the Cypriot Tax system or not, it might well benefit people to be in the Cypriot system due to the more generous Tax bands over here.
I remember when I declared as being non Tax resident in the UK some 15 years ago or so I was refunded 4 years of UK Tax payments as I had been living overseas but paying UK tax at the same time. Nice tidy sum it was as well.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
billibob

Quote:
I do not think you are wise not getting round to it , I think they might hit you with a fine when eventually you do .

That's what I'm worried about. I thought you could choose where you paid your tax but it seems from people on this forum that this is incorrect. However, in the past I have asked the Tax Office about this and they told me I didnt need to as my income was under the threshold. If that info was wrong and I now go to register for tax I could well end up with a fine as I would have no proof of what they told me.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

I don't think you will end up with a fine.. But for countless years the law was that if you resided in Cyprus for 183 days or more you had to pay tax here on your worldly income..
However as others have said sometimes the Tax people said if you are not earning over the taxable income then you needn't bother.

But, in 2019 everyone 'living' here more than 183 days HAS to register for tax no matter how small your income is...
Trev..

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
madmum

trevnhil wrote:
I don't think you will end up with a fine.. But for countless years the law was that if you resided in Cyprus for 183 days or more you had to pay tax here on your worldly income..
However as others have said sometimes the Tax people said if you are not earning over the taxable income then you needn't bother.

But, in 2019 everyone 'living' here more than 183 days HAS to register for tax no matter how small your income is...
Trev..

Never heard of it being fineable maybe they would charge interest on tax payable if was any. I definitely wonít pay tax as only have a private pension of £35 a month. Husband gets £1100 plus state pension so by what Iíve read wonít pay any or very little
Know lots here that havenít registered saying donít earn enough so not widely known you now have to

My main concern is as he is taxed on both pensions in UK I donít want to be taxed twice. Know Cyprus tax department are supposed to notify UK But does this actually happen correctly
Had trouble already with pensions having to sign form to prove he is still alive. Big hassle with state pension who for some reason were sending letters to old UK address despite our Cyprus address being on account. So bit sceptical they will stop taking tax out of the payment

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
scottie

madmum wrote:
trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

Never heard of it being fineable maybe they would charge interest on tax payable if was any. I definitely wonít pay tax as only have a private pension of £35 a month. Husband gets £1100 plus state pension so by what Iíve read wonít pay any or very little
Know lots here that havenít registered saying donít earn enough so not widely known you now have to

My main concern is as he is taxed on both pensions in UK I donít want to be taxed twice. Know Cyprus tax department are supposed to notify UK But does this actually happen correctly
Had trouble already with pensions having to sign form to prove he is still alive. Big hassle with state pension who for some reason were sending letters to old UK address despite our Cyprus address being on account. So bit sceptical they will stop taking tax out of the payment

Why don't you go to the tax office and sort things out.?
It has been said on this forum countless times , you have to register for tax purposes. This does not mean you will have to pay tax.
What is certain is you will not be taxed twice on same money if you have done all you should do.
Just pop down there and to it , put your mind at rest

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 am Reply with quote
jeba

scottie wrote:

Why don't you go to the tax office and sort things out.?
It has been said on this forum countless times , you have to register for tax purposes.

I went to the Larnaca tax office and was told that for non-domiciled residents thatīs not the case which contradicts what I read here: http://www.newsincyprus.com/news/150074/tax-declaration-to-become-obligatory-irrespective-of-income

Can someone please recommend an accountant in the Larnaca area to clarify this.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
gazzaga

I'm a financial adviser working in Cyprus for the last 15 years. If you reside in Cyprus for more thyan 183 days you have to register as tax resident. When you go to the tax office and they tell you otherwise, pull out your pre-prepared statement that says I have been advised by ................... at .................. tax office that I do not need to register for tax, ask them to write their name, sign and stamp it. They will quickly realise that they now have to do some work and advise you what they should have in the first place.

Anyone who has been told they don't have to register in the pas (and spends more than 183 resident in Cyprus) has been the victim of the lazy Civil Service staff who have no carrot or stick to do their job properly.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, it may be beneficial for you to register and you may get a refund.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
madmum

Assume you have to actually go into tax office in road by hospital. Be so much easier if could at least do the registration online.
Iím not that bothered about going & sitting waiting for a long time if was just me but know husband will be moaning
Now that tax returns are done online surely would make sense to register online

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:48 am Reply with quote
jeba

gazzaga wrote:
I'm a financial adviser working in Cyprus for the last 15 years. If you reside in Cyprus for more thyan 183 days you have to register as tax resident.

Has it been like that all the time or is that the change kicking in as of this year the article I linked above is talking about? In other words: should I worry about being fined for not having registered in the past.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
tilly mint

madmum wrote:
Assume you have to actually go into tax office in road by hospital. Be so much easier if could at least do the registration online.
Iím not that bothered about going & sitting waiting for a long time if was just me but know husband will be moaning

Phone the uk tax office first and get it sorted that end first. When your husband received his pension with the tax code NT then start with the tax office here. Donít forget cyprus tax year begins Jan until Dec. I usually submit my husbands info in March and pay but that is for the previous year. Hth

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

trevnhil wrote:

Trev..

You are obliged to declare your world-wide income on your return, but also the amount of tax paid elsewhere.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
mac69

I think you have to start with the P85 from the U.K. , then you get a double taxation individual form , which you fill in and hand to the Cyprus tax office . You have to put a stamp on which cost about 70Ä .

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

This is what we both did shortly after arriving in 2006.. Since then we have always don a Cypriot tax return.. But we have never paid any tax..

Trev..

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
gazzaga

tilly mint wrote:
madmum wrote:

Phone the uk tax office first and get it sorted that end first. When your husband received his pension with the tax code NT then start with the tax office here. Donít forget cyprus tax year begins Jan until Dec. I usually submit my husbands info in March and pay but that is for the previous year. Hth

Tilly Mint this is inaccurate information. The process has to be initiated in Cyprus.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Pensioner and Tax Confused 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines