Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Driving after Brexit: What you need to know
Driving after Brexit: What you need to know 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1
Pictures: 0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
Nemesis

Thank you Santorini Paul, my daughter is coming over in May and she likes to drive my car. I have passed the information on to her and told her to be ready to get an IDP if there is a no deal Brexit.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Driving after Brexit: What you need to know 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

Santorini Paul 1 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47459859
Paul.

Sensationalist ignorance. Details like this cannot be promulgated at the drop of a hat, even if they were known. Before 2004, you could drive here, as a visitor, on a UK licence; there is no reason to think that it will be different.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
jeff60

well said devil!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
clive of payia

I bet the Cypriot car hire operators will accept UK Licence.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

www.easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=103132

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

devil wrote:
Before 2004, you could drive here, as a visitor, on a UK licence; there is no reason to think that it will be different.

Thanks Paul for the posting!

Devil - Forget what happened prior to 2004!

I posted the latest recommendations from the BHC the other day:

3. Can I continue to use my UK driving licence in Cyprus?

If you are a resident in Cyprus (i.e. if you reside here for more than 90 days), you
are obliged to convert your British licence into a Cyprus driving licence, which
shows your address in Cyprus. Irrespective of Brexit.

If you exchange your licence before 29 March there is no need to pass a Cypriot
driving test. Those of you with Cypriot driving licences can drive in the UK on this
licence in both a deal and no deal scenario.

Currently, Britons who come to Cyprus for temporary visits can drive on their UK
driving licence. If there is a signed Withdrawal Agreement, the UK driving licence
remains valid up until the end of the Implementation Period, i.e. 31 December 2020.

Agreements on mutual recognition of licences between the UK and the EU after this
point will form part of the negotiations on the future relationship during the
Implementation Period.

In the event of a No Deal, after 29 March, the UK driving licence may no longer be
valid by itself when driving in Cyprus. The Government recommends that if you are
coming to Cyprus for a short visit, that you will need to obtain an International
Driving Permit (IDP) to drive after 29 March in a No Deal scenario.

You will need to apply for the 1949 Convention International Driving Permit, which
is the relevant one for Cyprus. Applications need to be made in person at a UK Post
Office. More information is available at: Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit

Cheers

Steve
Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
devil

Steve - SJD wrote:

In the event of a No Deal, after 29 March, the UK driving licence may no longer be
valid by itself when driving in Cyprus. The Government recommends that if you are
coming to Cyprus for a short visit, that you will need to obtain an International

I do not believe it! Not even the Cyprus government is going to make difficulties for the million UK visitors that come here each year. The whole idea is ludicrous! Besides which, this notion comes from the UK not from Cyprus.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Devil you are probably correct but what may have been true pre 2004 may not be the case now. I remember when the UK did not join the Schengen, Schiphol airport was not a nice place to fly to with officials dragging their cumulative feet at passport control. We are creating a new situation that may give rise to a similar 'up yours' situation with officialdom. As far as car hire in Cyprus is concerned the companies do not seem to care about even their own rules and will happily hire cars based just on a driving licence regardless what their website or the law says. So it may end up business as usual, it may not. Crystal ball time.
Paul.
Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

devil wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:

I do not believe it! Not even the Cyprus government is going to make difficulties for the million UK visitors that come here each year. The whole idea is ludicrous! Besides which, this notion comes from the UK not from Cyprus.

Whether you believe it or not is not the point.

This is EU wide and as clearly stated is a recommendation.

The UK Govt. isn't forcing anyone to obtain an IDP but it is best to be
prepared as we don't as yet know whether there will be a deal.

You may well be correct that hire companies turn a blind eye but what
would happen in the event of an accident? Would your insurance be
valid? If you are stopped by the police could you be fined?

I certainly don't know the answers to the above and with all due respect
neither do you.

The Govt. information is there - it is up to the individual whether they
choose to act upon it or not.

Cheers

Steve
Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
mouse

devil wrote:
Steve - SJD wrote:

But it could also be that Cyprus might not have a choice, it could be a EU wide decision based on a No Deal Brexit.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
pcmike

Each visit I bring DVLA printout and never been asked for it once on picking hire car up

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:10 am Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

You will be telling us next that Cyprus will change to driving on the right!!!

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

I got the IDP last week it cost 5:50 take a photo and your UK DL . It only takes a few minutes, the Post Office does its there and then for you. Cyrus was not in the EU before and for the sake of 5:50 I am taking no chances . The P.O. manager was saying they have had a run on these for the llast few weeks and he is quite an expert on issuing these.😀

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
mouse

pcmike wrote:
Each visit I bring DVLA printout and never been asked for it once on picking hire car up

Of course you wouldn't have. This is about if there is a No Deal Brexit.

If there are any changes after we leave and just preparing in case of.

It could be there will not be any change, but better to be prepared in case of.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
pcmike

This is nothing to do with brexit. Since June 2015 the paper part of your license is invalid and hiring abroad were told to get ch3ck code from DVLA, valid for 21 days, so hire company can check for penalty points, etc. Also taken it since 2015, but never asked for it in Cyprus.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Elizavet wrote:
I got the IDP last week it cost 5:50 take a photo and your UK DL . It only takes a few minutes, the Post Office does its there and then for you. Cyrus was not in the EU before and for the sake of 5:50 I am taking no chances . The P.O. manager was saying they have had a run on these for the llast few weeks and he is quite an expert on issuing these.😀

Agree 5,50 for peace of mind, its a no brainer

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
mouse

pcmike wrote:
This is nothing to do with brexit. Since June 2015 the paper part of your license is invalid and hiring abroad were told to get ch3ck code from DVLA, valid for 21 days, so hire company can check for penalty points, etc. Also taken it since 2015, but never asked for it in Cyprus.

I know Mike, but the OP is talking about an IDP in the event of a no deal.

So it's worth getting one, just in case.

We have Cypriot ones anyway.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
storm

What's the scenario for those visiting/on hols whilst brexit no deal happens do they just stop driving or as something been put in place for people to go and sort whilst in Cyprus ?

A block

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:28 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

I know that some people from the UK have obtained an international driving permit from the Post Office. I think the coat was around 5 pounds 50p

Trev
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters