Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Live Q&A and GESY
Live Q&A and GESY 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
billibob
Pictures: 0

Hi Nigel,

Reading the transcript of the live Q&A with the High Commissioner you posed a question re GESY:-
Quote:
According to GESY website, only those with a ‘permanent residence permit’ will be entitled to benefit from the scheme. MEU3???

Ive listened to the session but, apart from a couple of references to web links which provided no information on GESY, I wonder if you were more successful with an answer?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi billibob

You need a MEU1 (not MEU3) - this has been confirmed by someone who contacted GESY. She also suggested they update their website!

BTW I spoke with the GESY helpline last week and asked them how I could register. They said they were still enroling GPs. Once that's completed they will start accepting registrations.

They will put an announcement on their website.

Regards,

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
billibob

Thanks Nigel. I have an appointment for my MEU3 so either way I should be covered. Now have to wait to see if we have to pay or if we are covered in the same way we were with the S1!

I rang the High Commission in Nicosia and got through to someone who said no decision had been made on how this would work but they were in talks about it. How true that is, I don't know but time will tell.

Thanks for going to the trouble of finding out. Much appreciated.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
madmum

If you already have a hospital card from an S1 form i would get any treatment you know you need asap. i've got hospital appointment next week regarding a hip replacement op. so hoping if brexit is delayed till at least june then might have had op or least arranged. no idea if feasible as cant find anyone who has had this done, asked at hospital how long waiting lists are but they didnt know. was supposed to have the hip injection & in july doctor said a few weeks. never heard anything.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

billibob wrote:
no decision had been made on how this would work but they were in talks about it.

Yes - I was at a meeting with the High Commissioner last Wednesday. They are in talks about a reciprocal healthcare agreement. But Cyprus cannot enter into a bilateral arrangement without permission from the EU. Cyprus is waiting to hear.

Regards,

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
billibob

Let's hope it's a good outcome Nigel.

Many thanks.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

But if they are claiming a percentage of pensions from Cypriots, will the tax system know who are ex pat pensioners.. ?

Trev..

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
lindask

Good Question trevnhil ....that never occured to me !! I just assumed it would be my Cyprus pension I would be paying 1.75 % on...

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

trevnhil wrote:
will the tax system know who are ex pat pensioners.. ?

Maybe not - but the tax system will know if your pension comes from overseas.

There’s a document at
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
that explains how much pensioners may pay and how the money will be collected - page 4.

Update - I've just received an email about healthcare in Europe if there's a no-deal brexit -
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Regards,

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
billibob

I got an email in response to my query regarding specifically expat pensioners and the S1 coverage under GESY and this is the response:

Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry of 13/03/2019.

Apologies for the delay in responding to you. We are engaging with the authorities in Cyprus for clarifications. As soon as we have these clarifications, we will be in touch.

Regards
Rebecca M.

Consular Contact Centre
Foreign & Commonwealth Office | London SW1A 2AH | Tel: 44 (0) 207 008 1500

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
scottie

billibob wrote:
I got an email in response to my query regarding specifically expat pensioners and the S1 coverage under GESY and this is the response:

Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry of 13/03/2019.

Apologies for the delay in responding to you. We are engaging with the authorities in Cyprus for clarifications. As soon as we have these clarifications, we will be in touch.

Regards
Rebecca M.

Consular Contact Centre
Foreign & Commonwealth Office | London SW1A 2AH | Tel: 44 (0) 207 008 1500

But you have been told this so often on here . They can't make the decisions anyway. The people who will make these decisions are based in Brussels and Cyprus and so much depends on which sort of exit we make .
Before you jump all over me , in no way is this post intended to be rude .
Its just that when one asks a question and is given a definitive answer , it is usually enough
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Live Q&A and GESY 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question