Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Driving licence change Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post: #41   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote
scottie
Pictures: 0

I'm no saint , not by a long way. However I really hope that when Brexit does happen they find a way to stop expats from ripping off the UK national health and benefits scheme.
I expect by having to declare your country of residence for tax purposes may do it ?
The same people probably shout about foreigners ripping the system off and they are doing it themselves.
I'm not rich but I would rather do it above board than spend my life looking over my shoulder.
I know this view won't be looked at favourably by many but feel it has to be said and is just my opinion.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #42   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Thanks for that very true post. We have jumped through hoops sometimes to comply with rules that others clearly ignore. Example was winter fuel allowance when I phoned them and the official commended me for not claiming till the rules changed and I reached 65. Many people flit back to UK to get their 'entitlements'. That is why I have not done the driving licence swap till now. In 14 years of living here not once have I needed to produce a driving licence so won't be looking over my shoulder..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #43   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
Blossom

SensibleBob wrote:
If you don't have a UK address some use. A family members address..don't pretend its not done. Same with winter fuel allowance, prescriptions etc. By not having a UK address the DVLA allow for not updating your address until licence is renewed.

So basically, fraudulent claiming, or criminal deception, alls well until anyone has a serious accident, and the Insurance company checks out your details, and refuses to pay out, good luck with that one.

Post: #44   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
scottie

SensibleBob wrote:
Thanks for that very true post. We have jumped through hoops sometimes to comply with rules that others clearly ignore. Example was winter fuel allowance when I phoned them and the official commended me for not claiming till the rules changed and I reached 65. Many people flit back to UK to get their 'entitlements'. That is why I have not done the driving licence swap till now. In 14 years of living here not once have I needed to produce a driving licence so won't be looking over my shoulder..

Do you mean you were granted winter fuel allowance whilst resident here , or am I misunderstanding you ?

Post: #45   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

This is the DVLA's reply on this matter:

If you are driving in the United Kingdom (UK), it is a legal requirement to update your address each time you move home.

It is an offence to fail to notify DVLA of a change of name or address. While DVLA has no power to prosecute these offences, the police would be the appropriate point of contact to pursue the matter, and you could be fined up to 1000 for having incorrect details on a licence and using it to drive in the UK.

As you no longer live in the UK, we will be unable to change the address on your driving licence. Please contact the licensing authority where you now reside for information regarding driving there.

If you return to live in UK as a resident in the future and need to change your address, you may apply for amendment of your driving licence details at that time.

Post: #46   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Scottie I got winter fuel allowance for 2years until the rule.s changed. I think it was the time a Swiss resident challenged them but soon after they scrapped it for us. The Pont I was making. Was it would have continued had I not volunteered where I lived..and no doubt many did not. It caused much discussion on her as to what is a benefit/entitlement.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #47   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:52 am Reply with quote
scottie

SensibleBob wrote:
Scottie I got winter fuel allowance for 2years until the rule.s changed. I think it was the time a Swiss resident challenged them but soon after they scrapped it for us. The Pont I was making. Was it would have continued had I not volunteered where I lived..and no doubt many did not. It caused much discussion on her as to what is a benefit/entitlement.

Yes I did misunderstand you . Sorry . It's also the case that if you were in receipt of it before you came here you keep it, I don't know who makes up these daft rules. Still as you say ,better to be up front and sleep easy . So back to the licence , I think you are building up a load of aggro for yourself if you don't do it asap

Post: #48   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Totally agree and that's why we plan to do it,after all no cost as both over 65. I think blossom has picked out the bits that only partially tell the story as somewhere it also says you could keep your licence until another change is necessary e.g it expired.

meantime the address is known to be wrong but acceptable. Of course when/if Brexit occurs that then means a change is necessary .

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #49   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
Blossom

SensibleBob wrote:
Totally agree and that's why we plan to do it,after all no cost as both over 65. I think blossom has picked out the bits that only partially tell the story as somewhere it also says you could keep your licence until another change is necessary e.g it expired.

meantime the address is known to be wrong but acceptable. Of course when/if Brexit occurs that then means a change is necessary .

SensibleBob, Its not a question of picking out bits, alot of it is technicalities, and we all know how Insurance companies operate, God forbid any, of us have a serious accident, you can bet your life, the insurance company will, go through your details with a fine tooth comb, and try and contest your claim, using the false details route etc...

Post: #50   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
scottie

SensibleBob wrote:

If you change after Brexit you will have to take a driving test though

Post: #51   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
mac69

My opinion is get it done now , it is only 40 for an under 65 .
Driving licence change 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters