Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Driving licence change Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Driving licence change 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Pictures: 0

Which surprisingly doesn’t seem to be in FAQs.

What’s the procedure here for changing a U.K. licence to a Cypriot one? Mandatory I believe at reaching 70. Crying or Very sad
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

I've been told if you live here its mandatory at any age and as I'm still driving on the old paper licence I need to change mine as soon as possible.
Apparently the Citizens Advice Center in Dherynia have set up a counter with the Ministry of Transport and all I need to do is go there with my old licence, proof of residency etc and they will do it all for me, including photo.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
wiseman

Jon and Gaynor, could please let us know how you get on, as we went there and they told us you have to go the Ministry of Transport in Dherynia, were most unhelpful in the so called Citizens Advice Department, staff in there are quite rude. Good Luck.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:55 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

Certainly in the Paphos region you need to go to the Ministry of Transport offices to change from UK licence to a Cypriot one..

Trev..

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
PropertyEasternCyprus
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

wiseman wrote:
Jon and Gaynor, could please let us know how you get on, as we went there and they told us you have to go the Ministry of Transport in Dherynia, were most unhelpful in the so called Citizens Advice Department, staff in there are quite rude. Good Luck.

Yes my husband recently changed hi UK driving licence to Cypriot one as his was about to run out.
Went to Citizens advice, but they told him to go to Dherynia.
Handed the form in. All pretty painless.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:46 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

PropertyEasternCyprus wrote:
wiseman wrote:

Yes my husband recently changed hi UK driving licence to Cypriot one as his was about to run out.
Went to Citizens advice, but they told him to go to Dherynia.
Handed the form in. All pretty painless.

Do you have to take photos with you?

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
PropertyEasternCyprus
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I sent him with two passport size photos that I had printed out on the computer. They only kept one.
Sorry I don't know if they will take the photo for you.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 am Reply with quote
tonyl

For a change from a UK to Cypriot driving licence you have to go to the MOT office in Dherynia (or local area). I believe that for renewels after that you can go to the Citizens Advice.

The conversion of a driver's license from a foreign to a Cypriot is governed by the 2001 Driving License Act and its up to date modifications.

How to Exchange a Foreign Licence for a Cyprus Licence

Licence exchanges are managed by the Department of Road Transport (DoRT). The following documents are required:

A completed TOM 7D application form available at the DoRT (in Greek) you can find translations with a Google search

Two recent passport photographs

Residence permit

Proof of at least six months of residence (such as utility bills)

Passport (original and a photocopy of the personal details page)

If over 70 a medical certificate.

The original licence including paper part and two photocopies of all pages (the licence will have to be surrendered)

(Anyone here old enough to remember "The Shadows" Think )

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Thanks Tony. Spot on.

Thanks also for the other responses. Smile

And yes............... I do remember The Shadows. Wink

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

English translation

http://www.cyprusdriving.net/forms/TOM_7_%CE%95%CE%9D.pdf

Form here : http://www.cyprusdriving.net/forms/TOM_7D.pdf

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Ensure you go AFTER your birthday - if you go before you will have to go back again once you actually reach 70!

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

Woodrow Why?at wrote:
Ensure you go AFTER your birthday - if you go before you will have to go back again once you actually reach 70!

If you go after you licence has expired you will face days of delays whilst they contact the UK for more information. At least that is what happened with my wife. She had no licence for a couple of weeks, so could not drive

Trev..

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
billibob

Quote:

What are the requirements of and how does one go about getting a medical certificate please?

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Thanks again. All helpful stuff. Cool

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

trevnhil wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:

If you go after you licence has expired you will face days of delays whilst they contact the UK for more information. At least that is what happened with my wife. She had no licence for a couple of weeks, so could not drive

Trev..

That was not my experience! Cool

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

billibob wrote:
Quote:

What are the requirements of and how does one go about getting a medical certificate please?

Download the form (which is in Greek) from the Ministry's website and take it with you to a doctor who will give you a reasonably cursory examination, and if all appears ok will fill in the form and endorse it.
The fee should be between 30-50 Euros, depending on the doctor.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Woodrow Why?at wrote:

Having printed it out, the only reference to age 70 seems to be in the Health Certificate section, where it says one has to be submitted "If you have completed your 70th year of age". Confused

Given that the UK licence automatically self-destructs on your 70th birthday it seems prudent to convert it here prior to that and take the hit.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
billibob

Saw this on the UK Gov website updated yesterday:

On 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may need a 1949 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries: Cyprus, Iceland, Malta, Spain.
https://bit.ly/2WCmQQP

So many MAY's but if it comes about there's not much time left to do it.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
sarah224

Can someone tell me where the Ministry of Transport in Dherynia is please?

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

sarah224 wrote:
Can someone tell me where the Ministry of Transport in Dherynia is please?

It's on the industrial estate and is signposted from the main road in
Dherynia. If heading from Paralimni head towards Dherynia on the
main road - through the main lights in Dherynia and there is a left
hand turn just as you get to the bend.

Cheers

Steve
Driving licence change 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters