Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » squatter moved in next door to my parents villa
squatter moved in next door to my parents villa 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
amiee3608
Pictures: 0

Hello Nigel

I wondered you could give us some advice.

A family of squatters have moved in the villa next door to my parents, the villa has been empty for years, no one seems to know the owners so no way to contact them, they have told my parents there squatting and entered the property through a up stairs balcony door that was open, they said they have no where to live so had the choice, we feel for them but also worried about the situation being so close to my parents they are elderly. Any advice?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi amiee and welcome to the forum.

The Land Registry will know who owns the property, but getting the information out of them may prove difficult and your parents may need the help of a lawyer.

Once ownership has been established you can then contact them and advise them of the situation.

It's possible that the property has been repossessed by the bank and they should take action.

Unfortunately as it's a private property your parents can't intervene - unless they cause problems in which case they can get the Police involved.

Regards,

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
amiee3608

Thanks nigel

We have tried the land registry but had no joy, is there squatters rights in Cyprus what procedure would have to be followed if we can locate the owner, its such a worry my parents were planning to sell there property this year but now worry with the squatter as there really messy stuff everywhere in the garden rubbish etc so there worried it put people off buying theres.

Really apricate your advice.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

As far as I am aware there are no squatters rights in Cyprus. Your parents need to get a lawyer involved to see what options may be available to them (and a lawyer may be able to 'unlock' the Land Registry.

Regards,

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Not sure if its true but while trying to rent out our apartment I had 1 horrible lady saying she wanted it for 1 year minimum. we only want to rent for up to 6 months. she got very nasty saying would i expect her to move out & sleep on the beach. she went on to say i should thank her for being honest & educating me as lots will agree to rental terms then refuse to leave.
informed me that in that case police will do nothing & no way of evicting tenants even if not paying the rent & in effect squatting.
No idea if thats true or not but worried me enough to put it with a rental agency.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
jeba

madmum wrote:

informed me that in that case police will do nothing & no way of evicting tenants even if not paying the rent & in effect squatting.
No idea if thats true or not but worried me enough to put it with a rental agency.

I was told by a lawyer that youŽll need a court order to evict someone. To get a court order will take years. This seems to be the problem, not the law itself.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
madmum

jeba wrote:
madmum wrote:

I was told by a lawyer that youŽll need a court order to evict someone. To get a court order will take years. This seems to be the problem, not the law itself.

from speaking to people locally it sounds like if this happens they dont involve police & deal with it themselves. like wait till they go out, then put their belongings outside & change locks.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
jeba

madmum wrote:
jeba wrote:
madmum wrote:

from speaking to people locally it sounds like if this happens they dont involve police & deal with it themselves. like wait till they go out, then put their belongings outside & change locks.

This may be tempting but I bet itŽs illegal.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:14 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

jeba wrote:
madmum wrote:
jeba wrote:
madmum wrote:

This is Cyprus, but probably the best way.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

jeba wrote:
madmum wrote:
jeba wrote:
madmum wrote:

So is squatting.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
amiee3608

thanks for all you help, fortunately the bank owned it so they are on the case Smile hopefully with the bank owning it wont take to long.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

amiee3608 wrote:
thanks for all you help, fortunately the bank owned it so they are on the case Smile hopefully with the bank owning it wont take to long.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. But good luck anyway............
squatter moved in next door to my parents villa 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question