Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner » new lenovo ideapad with windows 10
new lenovo ideapad with windows 10 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera
Pictures: 8

Hi All,
I have just bought one of the above, and want to install ubuntu on it.
Can anyone tell me which keys to press when booting up in order to get the boot device selection screen please?

Thanks in advance. A Happy New Year to all.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

From the 'Windows' key --> Settings --> All Settings --> Update & Security --> Recovery --> Restart Now --> Select 'Troubleshoot
' --> Advanced Options --> UEFI Firmware Settings --> Restart.
This will (hopefully) restart device and open BIOS setup and select the 'Boot' option.

OR

Log out of Windows.

Hold down the Shift key and click onscreen Power button. [bS]till holding down Shift key[/b] click Restart. Still holding down Shift key, computer will restart with options screen.
Click Troubleshoot --> Advanced Options --> UEFI Firmware Settings --> Restart - computer should open at BIOS settings where you can select boot options.

HTH

Any problems come back.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera

Thanks a lot Kwacka. I used the winkey method and have now installed ubuntu 18.04 with dual boot. It all went ok except that ubuntu does not find the internet whereas windows does. Never mind, that's a different problem and I will look into it in morning - going to bed now. Once again, many thanks.. Regards Jim.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Glad to be of service!

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera

Hi Kawacka, A Happy New Year to you. Sorry to bother you again, but I still have not managed to get internet. It appears I have to edit a file (/etc/system/resolve.conf) in order to add DNS=8.8.8.8 to it. Is there a built in editor? I have tried to us one called vim. In the software section it tells me it is installed but when I try to use it I am told there is no such program.

Are you able to give me any help please?

Thanks and regards, Jim

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi,

You don't say which model Ideapad you are using, so I'll assuming you are looking for a wifi connection.

First check that a wifi card is recognised - using the command lspci will probably give you an idea of the card.

Next check that a driver for the card is installed with lsmod.

the command iwconfig will tell you if a card is recognised and functioning, and also gives its address (e.g. enp3s0).

I don't understand why you need to a change the /etc/system/resolve.conf - the address 8.8.8.8 is a Google server (often the command ping -c 3 8.8.8.8 is used to check whether a device is connected to the internet).

Can you use NetworkManager to set up a connection?

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera

Hi Kwacka, thanks for your quick reply.
The ideapad that I have is a Lenovo ideapad 330, and yes, I am trying to get wifi.

lspci and lsmod both seem to work ok - no errors and screens of detail information.

iwconfig gives "no wireless extensions",

and ping -c 3 8.8.8.8 returns "network is unreachable"

I am looking into NetworkManager at the moment to try to see how to use it.

Are you able to give me a command to try please? Many thanks for your time and patience.

The strange thing is that windows comes up no problem!

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Looking at the spec. for the Ideapad 330, it seems it uses an Intel dual band AC-3165 wireless/bluetooth card - I've never encountered one of these, unfortunately.

Searching, I came across 'How can I install Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 drivers? ' at
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

There is also information at
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

One further thought, if you go into the 'BIOS' startup page ensure that the card is detected and turned on.

Let me know how you get on.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera

Thanks Kwacka, I will check both out. Regards, jim

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera

Hi Kwacka, how rude of me - slapdash, ignorant!!! I should have followed this up months ago!
I did not manage with your suggestions, and ended up using a hard wired system. I say "ended up" but in actual fact, I stopped using the lenovo, after a time, installed ubuntu 18.04 on my old HP and have been using this ever since.
If I do ever get the lenovo going, I will update further, but at the moment I am managing.
Many thanks for your assistance, regards, Jim.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi Jim,

Good to hear from you.

What problems did you have whilst trying to install Ubuntu?

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner