Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Bank of Cyprus Advice
Bank of Cyprus Advice 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
No4
Pictures: 0

Hi Nigel,

Looking for some advice before I escalate my complaint with BoC. It is very clear that a mistake has been made on my housing loan and they are saying it is a clerical mistake but when it involves the previously agreed sums to repay you can imagine I'm not too happy with that type of mistake.
There response to my initial enquiry is comical and it is a new level of incompetence from the head of loans and branch manager at Agia Napa branch.

I have asked for the details of the HQ complaint department as these people should not be in charge of financial decisions.

I know the Ombudsman service is available and will go down that road should HQ not take action.

Any general advice of previous dealings is appreciated.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Hi No4

I suggest you raise your complaint with the BoC head office - you can find details at Complaints.

Regards,

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
No4

Thanks Nigel, would you advise a lawyer for future discussions or wait until the bank makes a final decision without one?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Bank of Cyprus Advice 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

No4 wrote:
Hi Nigel,

Looking for some advice before I escalate my complaint with BoC. It is very clear that a mistake has been made on my housing loan and they are saying it is a clerical mistake but when it involves the previously agreed sums to repay you can imagine I'm not too happy with that type of mistake.
There response to my initial enquiry is comical and it is a new level of incompetence from the head of loans and branch manager at Agia Napa branch.

I have asked for the details of the HQ complaint department as these people should not be in charge of financial decisions.

I know the Ombudsman service is available and will go down that road should HQ not take action.

Any general advice of previous dealings is appreciated.

What do you expect to achieve?

Is it that you have been paying more than you needed to or have I misunderstood your inference? Did these amounts go to reduce your loan?

If they did and if you have not suffered a substantial loss I'd give up if I were you, it just ain't worth the pain or stress.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

I would expect the branch to report via Larnaca initially. Have seen a problem with the local branch resolved via Larnaca. Remember branch managers have few powers and no discussion without involving area head office.
If neither shows signs of helping then involve ombudsman. Not sure of rules here but watch the time limit for escalating a complaint.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Sorry spell check altered the word..discussion should be discretion.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

No4 wrote:
would you advise a lawyer for future discussions or wait until the bank makes a final decision without one?

I suggest you wait & see what happens.

Regards,

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
No4

Hi all,

Well, the latest response from the bank, signed by both bank manager and head of department at Ayia Napa is comical. I really don't think they read what they send or look at any facts.

They have not responded to me return letter nor 2 follow up emails now, going on 3weeks.

Can you advise if the next step would be to get a lawyer or just go to the ombudsman? Or do both?

Thanks

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

There is a specific ombudsman who deals with Banking and Loans. Ask BOC or maybe one of the other banks for his details or possibly the Citizens Advice bureaus.

He's on the news today about loans issued before 2001 where there were restrictions on the interest that could be charged and he has raised a number of complaints regarding these.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi No4

Don't waster your time complaining to the monkey, complain to the organ grinder as I advised in my first reply.

Regards,

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm Reply with quote
No4

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I did that when you advised, and they originally referenced the branches response then have not emailed back.

I have since replied to both as they are all on the same email chain now and as mentioned that was over 3 weeks ago since I replied to their letter.

I have advised them that I will be contacting the Ombudsman on Tuesday if they do not respond.

I also made a complaint to the central bank of Cyprus, they replied 9 days later with "You should file a complaint through 1bank of Bank of Cyprus", no opening or close to the email and no name.

Thanks
Paul
Bank of Cyprus Advice 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question