Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner » Mobile phone problem
Mobile phone problem 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
dagwood
Pictures: 0

I got myself a smart phone 2 weeks ago, my first ever. I am having awful problems with it and find it totally user-unfriendly, counter-intuitive etc. The User Manual I found on the internet is unhelpful in the extreme and really only lists what the thing is capable of but not how to do it. Maybe users are expected to already know how to operate these things?
Is there any way of obtaining instructions on where to touch, tap, swipe or do whatever wherever on the screen to get some sense out of the phone? Model is a Samsung Galaxy J6 plus.
All I am trying to achieve initially is to make /receive phone calls and text messages. All the clever stuff can wait until later.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Did you get the manual from the Samsung site - here's a link to it -
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Page 34 gives instructions for using the touchscreen, page 59 on making a phone call, page 68 messaging. The 'Troubleshooting' appendix is from page 160 on.

If you still have problems go back to where you bought it and ask them to demonstrate to you.

HTH

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
dagwood

Thanks for that, it is the same manual I referred to. Sadly, it is of little use to a novice, especially the 'messaging' part.
I did go back to CYTA, whence it came. As far as they are concerned, the device is working and that is that.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Jacs
Pictures: 6

When your phone rings, you will see a green and a red arrow. To answer swipe green arrow across screen. If you want to reject the call swipe the red arrow in opposite direction.
At the bottom of your screen you will see the icon messages. Tap on it to open it. You will see an icon that looks like a pad and pencil. Tap that to compose a message. Select recipient from your contacts, tap on enter message and keyboard pops up, then type your message, when you have finished tap send.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:56 am Reply with quote
chuckie

Morning Dagwood,

I'll have a look tomorrow for you.

Carol

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:12 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Have a look here, this is quite a good guide Very Happy

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

What you need is a patient teenager (probably doesn't exist) to show you all you need to know.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

CyprusForMe wrote:
What you need is a patient teenager (probably doesn't exist) to show you all you need to know.

Absolutely. I imagine Iím fairly average tech-wise (Iíve built all my own PCs). However, if I have a problem, my first port of call is the 13 year old Grandson in Aberdeen. Iíve yet to invoke him without getting an immediate, or very quick, solution. Very Happy

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

CyprusForMe wrote:

Unfortunately not everyone has a teenager they can call upon but this is where "Google is your friend" could not be more apt, everything you need to know is there including instructional videos. I build all my own pc`s, have replaced screens, earphone sockets, keypads on Android and Apple phones all with the help of google Very Happy Even found all the info required to unbrick my granddaughters Samsung J7 phone..

Last edited by sugarray1955 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
dagwood

Thank you to everybody who replied, especially sugarray1955, your link looks most useful. I will have a bash at this when I find a good stretch of free time tomorrow.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

dagwood wrote:
Thank you to everybody who replied, especially sugarray1955, your link looks most useful. I will have a bash at this when I find a good stretch of free time tomorrow.

You`re welcome Very Happy

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
dagwood

First and final update: Still getting nowhere with this 'phone. Last straw was yesterday when I received a call. Afterwards I wanted to save the phone number to my contacts. Could I do it? No way.
Drove to the store today and had them remove the smartphone SIMcard and fit it with adaptor to my old trusty 'brick'. The friendly guy in the store commented that this model smartphone (see posting 1) is good but 'very complicated'.
My troubles are over, I will no longer lie sleepless in bed at night, seething in silent fury over the phone frustrations. I will also no longer be short-tempered during the day either.
Only one thing left to do now: decide whether to smash the smartphone with a hammer (revenge is sweet), flog it or gift it to my worst enemy!

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
cyprus_gal

Sell it

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Gadget & Techie Corner