Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » No confidence vote trigered for May. Goto page 1, 2  Next
No confidence vote trigered for May. 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Typical back stabbing Tories.

They could have at least waited to see if she could have got something extra from the EU.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Pictures: 0

Paywalled.

The 48th letter I believe. From Owen Paterson MP:

"Dear Sir Graham,

I write to inform you that I no longer have confidence in the Prime Minister. It would be a travesty if the democratic verdict of the 2016 referendum – the largest in British history – were not delivered, yet the Prime Minister’s proposed “deal” is so bad that it cannot be considered anything other than a betrayal of clear manifesto promises.

These broken promises typify more than two years of poor Government decision-making. It was a mistake not to begin intense preparations for leaving on WTO terms the moment the result was delivered, approaching the negotiations with a stronger hand, positioned to walk away without a deal and consequently much more likely to secure a good one.

It was a mistake for our EU negotiations to be led by a career civil servant with no business experience when the Government had on hand a vastly experienced international trade negotiator, Crawford Falconer.

It was a mistake to create a new Brexit Department only to keep two secretaries of state so in the dark that they had to resign over a policy one would have thought they were overseeing. Trying to bounce Cabinet ministers into supporting her White Paper on the Future Relationship before they had a chance to consider it fully – as the Prime Minister did at Chequers – is simply an intolerable way for a Prime Minister to govern.

It was a mistake to treat Brexit miserably as a problem to be solved rather than an exciting opportunity to be grasped. The UK is the world’s fifth largest economy. We are a key Nato member, a permanent UN Security Council member, a Commonwealth realm, a nuclear power.

We are the source of the English language, the common law and occupy the ideal time-zone for global trade. Yet from the outset we have approached these negotiations as a feeble and unworthy supplicant. As Falconer said, future historians will ask in exasperation: “Why were we so negative about our future?”

These mistakes have eroded trust in the Government, to the point where I and many others can no longer take the Prime Minister at her word. Almost two dozen times, she has ruled out membership of the Customs Union, yet the Withdrawal Agreement’s “single customs territory” sees us locked into it in all but name.

She has repeatedly said “no deal is better than a bad deal”, but it is clear her objective was to secure a deal at any cost.

The backstop would see the whole UK remain in a customs union with the EU, with Northern Ireland in the Customs Union and Single Market. This could see new internal UK borders in breach of the Belfast Agreement’s Principle of Consent and the requirement to consult the Northern Ireland Assembly.

It breaches the Acts of Union 1800. The UK would not have the unilateral right to end the arrangement. We could be locked into it indefinitely as a permanent rule-taker while paying £39 billion for the privilege.

European customs experts regard the Withdrawal Agreement’s customs arrangements as woefully out of date, proposing physical stamps and paper systems not used for nearly 20 years. They are so vague that it would be impossible to put them into practice.

Eleventh-hour “reassurances” on this issue are mere warm words if the legal text is unchanged. In any case, there is much more besides the backstop making the Withdrawal Agreement unacceptable.

No amount of tinkering will yield a majority in Parliament for this deal. The Government needs to consider more boldly the possible alternatives which might command that support. President Tusk offered just such an alternative in March: a wide-ranging, zero-tariff free trade agreement.

That deal foundered on the question of the Northern Ireland border, but existing techniques and processes can resolve this. From my October meeting with Michel Barnier, I know that a willingness exists on the EU side to explore these possibilities more fully. The meeting also confirmed that Tusk’s offer is still on the table.

Throughout this process, I have sought to support the Government. The conclusion is now inescapable that the Prime Minister is the blockage to the wide-ranging free trade agreement offered by Tusk which would be in the best interests of the country and command the support of Parliament.

I, therefore, have no confidence in Theresa May as Prime Minister and Leader of the Conservative Party and ask that you hold a vote of no confidence."
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: No confidence vote trigered for May. 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
kanebill

mouse wrote:

They could have at least waited to see if she could have got something extra from the EU.

Your best joke yet,

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
mouse

kanebill wrote:
mouse wrote:

Your best joke yet,

You should watch " Carry on at the House of Commons."

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Couldn't organise a P up in a brewery comes to mind, and Im referring to every party in the commons.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
mouse

Blossom wrote:
Couldn't organise a P up in a brewery comes to mind, and Im referring to every party in the commons.

Never a truer sentence.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

I'm glad to see she's kicked their butts down the road. Fair play to her, warming to this lady.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
scottie

cansweet wrote:
I'm glad to see she's kicked their butts down the road. Fair play to her, warming to this lady.

Come on , who is there to replace her . lol
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

Apparently no one...as demonstrated by the vote of confidence...

Mercury Rising

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

scottie wrote:
cansweet wrote:

Come on , who is there to replace her . lol

Why did the idiots bring the vote of no confidence then so? Obviously thought they could muster the no's to remove her and had some version of a replacement in mind. I'd love to know what was on Cameron's mind when this debacle was first brought up, or who had brainwashed him? One thing's for sure, people will count the cost in their daily lives for many the years to come but some still cannot comprehend that fact YET.
One thing I can't understand though, why did she go and say she will not lead the Tories into the next general election when after winning the vote she couldn't be challenged for another year anyway?
Now Big Thick Boris, let's see what you're made of? As if we don't know already

Last edited by cansweet on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

cansweet wrote:

One third of the parliamentary party have voted against her - how has she "kicked their butts down the road"?

Watching Newsnight tonight, and there are people saying that she's stronger and will be able to get a better deal from the EU! Shocked

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

Kwacka wrote:
cansweet wrote:

One third of the parliamentary party have voted against her - how has she "kicked their butts down the road"?

I guess it's because the other two thirds didn't Cool Now Kwaka, that wasn't too difficult, was it?

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:59 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

She was strongly tipped from the outset to win.

Does it matter though? May’s spent 2 years negotiating a deal which appears to be a dead duck. It would be lazarus-like for it to get voted through.

Then again.............politics. Eh?

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Kwacka wrote:
cansweet wrote:

Watching Newsnight tonight, and there are people saying that she's stronger and will be able to get a better deal from the EU! Shocked

She increased her voting majority from the 199 In the conservative leadership contest..Mogg and the like, including the MSN can spin as much as they like....she kicked butt..

Mercury Rising

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

[quote="Hudswell"]
Kwacka wrote:
cansweet wrote:

One third of the parliamentary party have voted against her - how has she "kicked their butts down the road"?/quote]

Hudswell wrote:
She increased her voting majority from the 199 In the conservative leadership contest..Mogg and the like, including the MSN can spin as much as they like....she kicked butt..

She didn't get elected leader, she got the job by default after everybody else dropped out.

If you cast your mind back, Thatcher got the largest number of votes in a leadership contest rather than a vote of confidence (20 against 152) she dropped out of the second round because her position was considered untenable).

Sorry, I only read the UK media and the general consensus is:

From the right - Daily Express 'very damaging result'
and The Spectator "Victory? No, yesterday’s result weakens May’s authority still further"
and The Sun: THE coup to oust Theresa May yesterday exploded the most vicious Tory civil war over Europe yet - leaving Cabinet ministers fearing the party had started a historic break-up.
to the centrist-left Guardian "Theresa May defeats Tory coup over Brexit deal but is left damaged".

I've now taken a look at MSN, but found no mention of Theresa May so I can't understand why you brought that up.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

Time now for Teresa to go and do some Christmas shopping in Ikea. First thing on her list should be a new cabinet Smile

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

[quote="Kwacka"]
Hudswell wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
cansweet wrote:

One third of the parliamentary party have voted against her - how has she "kicked their butts down the road"?/quote]

Hudswell wrote:

She didn't get elected leader, she got the job by default after everybody else dropped out.

If you cast your mind back, Thatcher got the largest number of votes in a leadership contest rather than a vote of confidence (20 against 152) she dropped out of the second round because her position was considered untenable).

Sorry, I only read the UK media and the general consensus is:

From the right - Daily Express 'very damaging result'
and The Spectator "Victory? No, yesterday’s result weakens May’s authority still further"
and The Sun: THE coup to oust Theresa May yesterday exploded the most vicious Tory civil war over Europe yet - leaving Cabinet ministers fearing the party had started a historic break-up.
to the centrist-left Guardian "Theresa May defeats Tory coup over Brexit deal but is left damaged".

I've now taken a look at MSN, but found no mention of Theresa May so I can't understand why you brought that up.

I did mean the Main Stream Media...Mrs May defied those that would wish to bring her down and she did it by a large margin...but that doesn't play into the hands of the political pundits who need to make news rather than report it...when interviewed Mogg Clearly had his tail between his legs and Boris was in a real sulk...

Mercury Rising

Post: #19   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hudswell wrote:

I did mean the Main Stream Media...Mrs May defied those that would wish to bring her down and she did it by a large margin...but that doesn't play into the hands of the political pundits who need to make news rather than report it...when interviewed Mogg Clearly had his tail between his legs and Boris was in a real sulk...

So where do you get your information, if it's not from any of the UK media sources?

You clearly don't trust anybody writing for the D. Mail end of the spectrum up to the Guardian end, nor the TV channels - except possibly
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

?

Post: #20   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

mouse wrote:

She won't get anything extra of any significance from the EU as they know that she doesn't have the fibre required to walk-away. It's pretty much the exact same scenario that caused Yanis Varoufakis to resign as he knew that his endeavours to attempt to restructure the Greek debt would always be fruitless as they knew that Alexis Tsipras, "talked the talk to the Greek electorate but he wasn't prepared to walk the walk from the ECB/IMF/EU.

A very interest read...

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
No confidence vote trigered for May. 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat