Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner » Router Ports
Router Ports 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Pictures: 0

I'm using a Primetel router.

On the back are 4 LAN ports, 1 DSL, Tel 1 & 2 and 1 WLAN.

A line from the house phone socket goes through a split lead. Primetel hardwired it into the back of the socket a few months ago. The split goes to DSL and Tel 1.

I'm OK with the LAN ports and am using them to connect a number of devices which are working fine.

What's the WLAN port for though? I can't seem to get a very clear answer from Google. Am I missing out on something worthwhile, or should I just continue to ignore it?

Thanks in anticipation.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

LAN= Local Area network
WAN = Wide Area Access
WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network -

The devices you have (as you say) use the 4 LAN ports. If you had an office some distance away (e.g. 1Km) that you also wanted to integrate into the network you would you could use cable/fibre to connect via the WAN port. Basically it's of little use (if any) to home users.

A WLAN is similar to a WAN, but uses Wfi to distribute to another network (possibly using dish antennas to communicate).

If you need more LAN ports you can get a cheap 10/100 Mbs switch (or a more dearer 10/100/1000 Mbs).

As an aside, my complaint with Primetel is their router. You can't access their setup page to change password or turn wifi on/off, so you're virtually obliged to piggy-back another router to get your network working how you want it.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Tks Kwacka.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

To continue. Very Happy

The basic problem I have is that although Iíve got a 50mbs line the Primetel router only radiates WiFi at 20. Iíve currently gotten around this by connecting an old extender to one of the LAN ports, which work at the 50mbs, then connecting devices to its WiFi.

Iím interested in your piggy back comment. Could I connect a second router the same way and achieve an identical result? Think If so, any recommendations for a model?

The reason for my query? The extender Iím using currently has become a critical component in the network and could go anytime. Most extenders nowadays seem only to connect to the base router by WiFi. Which of course wouldnít get around the 20mb obstacle.

Sorry thatís a bit long winded. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Hi Mr T,

Just about any router will do the job BUT speed doesn't only depend on the strength of the signal transmitted, but strength of reception, frequency and the number of devices in use.

A modern (11ac) router is able to operate at a higher speed and higher frequency (5 GHz) to reduce interference from devices that operate around 2.4 GHz. It is also able to detect the best direction to transmit signals.

You can find a good explanation by Forbes here.

Looking through the various review sites each seems to opt for a different router, but two or three opt for an Asus AC5300 - but it costs around 350 Shocked

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

I went for one of these, which seems to work very well:

https://www.devolo.com/devolo-gigagate.html

There is a bit of an anomaly, in that at certain times of the day some of the Ethernet connected stuff works at a far slower speed than WiFi. I would had expected it to be the other way around. Think

With 2 cordless phone systems, a router and 3 WiFi repeaters I was getting a bit concerned about RF levels around the place. That, amplified by the fact, having happily switched the router off each night for 6 years Iíve just realised that it also turns off all the phones. Embarassed Very Happy So, I now leave it on.

This seems to answer the worry though:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/11599311/Wi-Fi-is-not-harming-our-chidren-heres-the-evidence.html

Bearing in mind of course, itís the evil DT. Cool Wink
Router Ports 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner