Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » used cars
used cars 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
murga100
Pictures: 0

Can anyone tell me how I check if a used car I want to buy over here is legit, is there anyway of checking if it is stolen or has been written off, seen one I want to buy but seller insist on cash and doesnt want to do bank transfer
cheers
Pete

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
UD

You will need to insure the car in your name and then go to the ministry of transport offices with the current owner to have the log book put in your name.
You then pay the owner.
I expect that if the car isn't legit it may show up on the ministry of transports computer, I am not sure though, maybe someone with more experience will tell you.
As usual make sure you get the owner to prove that the road tax is up to date also the MOT and check the cars VIN number with the log book, I believe the log book also shows if the car is on finance.
Most people in Cyprus prefer cash, thats the way things are done.

Last edited by UD on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

The present owner should be able to show you the receipt from when it was last taxed.. It is a printout that has the Tax Disc on it with the expiry date, so you can see that it is still taxed..
Likewise the owner should be able to show you the MOT certificate, again this is a printed document from the MOT station with an expiry date on it. They last for 2 years from the date of the test...
Over here in the West if you go into any MOT station with the cars registration number, they can look it up on the computer system..

Also the owner should have the insurance documents for the car. They (or copies) are supposed to be kept in the car, to produce in the case of an accident..

I do agree that cash is often used in payment for cars.. I paid 10,000 cash for my last private sale

Trev..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
2diffs

Heads up:
Cash payments over 10,000 euros are now going to be illegal under money laundering rules.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/02/14/clampdown-coming-cash-payments-e10000/
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
used cars 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters