Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner » Windows 10 - UPDATE - Updates "Paused"
Windows 10 - UPDATE - Updates "Paused" 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Looking at a couple of computer magazines I see that you lucky Windows 10 users are due an update later this month.

There's are some warnings given:

1. Unlike previous updates, there is no 'Smart Updater' - so it doesn't save any files you are working on, so make sure you save them first.

2. Check available disk space - needs 10 GB free disk space, may fail with "low storage space" message if you have less. Make space by moving files to external drive/SD cards, etc.

3. After update you can delete the 'windows.old' folder - but only if you are:
a. satisfied that the update is working satisfactorily, and
b. you have checked windows.old and found no files that you want to keep.
4. some users are reporting that locally stored files that aren't also stored in 'one drive' may be deleted. One user had 220 GB data deleted, apparently it was files he'd saved from 1995 onwards - hopefully he'd backed everything up.
5. Problems with Intel Display Audio Driver - manually update this driver before the Windows 10 update.

The update will be automatically install from October 9th, but you can update now (got to Settings --> Windows Update --> Check for Update) however digitaltrends.com suggests:
Quote:
For now, users should hold off on updating their Windows 10 PC until Microsoft addresses all the early complaints from the download. If you must download the October 2018 Update, we highly recommend that you back up all your files and install the Intel Graphics Driver before proceeding.

Last edited by Kwacka on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Pictures: 0

I live in trepidation of Windows updates. The feeling can perhaps be likened to that of setting off in search of the new world. Shocked

Thanks for the tips.

Whatís a Linux user doing in here anyway? Very Happy Wink

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mr Tibbs wrote:

Schadenfreude. Laughing

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Kwacka wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:

Schadenfreude. Laughing

Unfortunately, old dog new tricks here. Also, I've sworn at Windows since as far back as 3.1 I think. Like marriage at times, it's become a sorta habit.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

Kwacka wrote:
Looking at a couple of computer magazines I see that you lucky Windows 10 users are due an update later this month.

There's are some warnings given:

1. Unlike previous updates, there is no 'Smart Updater' - so it doesn't save any files you are working on, so make sure you save them first.

I'm confused by your statement as I've just got this from windows.

"The Windows 10 October 2018 Update rolls out automatically via Windows Update. After the download completes weíll notify you to pick the right time to finish the installation. If your version of Windows 10 has reached end of service, use the Update Assistant to update now."

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

From what I read, the previous update of Windows saved any files you were working on whilst this doesn't, so close any files before updating.

This version uses 'intelligent reboot scheduling' to determine the time when you're not really using the computer, outside set times, and not on battery power. It can update/reboot overnight without beeping.

The 'highlight' of the update are (of course) upgraded security, plus a Swiftkey virtual keyboard application, a cloud-powered 'smart clipboard' (cut on one computer & paste on another) and updated emojis with 157 new emojis.

You can manually download the update now or wait until MS send it to you when - it is rolled out around the world instad of making it awailable to everyone all at once.

You can delay the update - but only if you are running the Windows 10 Enterprise version.

Also:

Quote:
Microsoft is aware of an issue after installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) that prevents Microsoft Store apps from connecting to the Internet on devices that have disabled IPv6.

Quote:

After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 update (version 1809), Microsoft Store apps are no longer able to connect to the Internet. For example, Microsoft Edge is unable to connect to any websites, displaying the message, "Hmmm...canít reach this page."

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Oh how I miss Microsoft products, not Wink Just purchased a new Lenovo I7 laptop for my wife from Amazon, and the first thing I did was get rid of Windows and install Linux Mint...

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)* for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.

Quote:
If you have manually checked for updates and believe you have an issue with missing files after an update, please minimize your use of the affected device and contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT, or find a local number in your area
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
Alternatively use a different device to contact us at
(link will vary according to country of origin).

If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please donít install it and wait until new media is available.

We will provide an update when we resume rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to customers.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

I survived!

I think. Think

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
jb1

Since mine updated I haven't been able to watch uk tv catch up via my vpn, it's bringing up the not in the UK message. It was working fine until the update Joyce
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

jb1 wrote:
Since mine updated I haven't been able to watch uk tv catch up via my vpn, it's bringing up the not in the UK message. It was working fine until the update Joyce

It may just be coincidental. I've gotten that quite regularly, using Nord. It seems to be an endless battle, where they suss that one server is a VPN and you have to find another that works.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
billibob

Quote:

It may just be coincidental. I've gotten that quite regularly, using Nord. It seems to be an endless battle, where they suss that one server is a VPN and you have to find another that works.

I never encounter that situation with mine. I use a Smart DNS rather than a VPN. If I do get a problem, which is very rare, I just email them and they fix it quickly. Had mine for a couple of years and get BBC, ITV etc etc etc + Amazon Prime, Sky Now. Use it on all my devices such as my Smart TV, laptop, Sky now box, Firestick etc without any problem.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Windows 10 - UPDATE - Updates "Paused" 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner