Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Cheap fuel Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cheap fuel 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Blossom
Pictures: 0

Dont want to get into the crossing over to buy fuel debate, the question I would like answered is, once all the fuel stocks over the north have been sold, and the oil company's need to buy new stock, as oil is sold in dollars and the Turkish lira is very low, then surely it will be more expensive for them to buy new stock, resulting in price increase at the pump, or im I missing something? ...cheers.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Yes, the price will rise, but as duty in the north is lower it will still be cheaper than in the free areas.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Blossom

Kwacka wrote:
Yes, the price will rise, but as duty in the north is lower it will still be cheaper than in the free areas.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Also many companies that know what they will need in the future hedge their purchasing by buying futures of what they need ie petrol or dollars. So a bit of crystal ball required but if they paid in TRY at last year's rate then they are happy today. I believe many airlines were caught out when the oil price fell as they had bought their future fuel at what they thought was a good rate only to find they could have got it cheaper on the day.
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Price already gone up over there. In last few weeks gone from 5lira to 6lira.. only saving 30 cents a litre compared to Cyprus prices.barely buys an Effes oh just noticed even that is less than Keo.
Much now depends on euro/lira/sterling rates which short term could still mean savings for most ex pats this side but bad news for non Cyprus Republic residents. 20 euros spent on MEU3 looking good value.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Purely for Clarification 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

SensibleBob wrote:
Price already gone up over there. In last few weeks gone from 5lira to 6lira.. only saving 30 cents a litre compared to Cyprus prices.barely buys an Effes oh just noticed even that is less than Keo.
Much now depends on euro/lira/sterling rates which short term could still mean savings for most ex pats this side but bad news for non Cyprus Republic residents. 20 euros spent on MEU3 looking good value.

A few days ago, when we were last there, the price for 95 petrol was 5.81 TL which, at today's (official) rate equates to around 83 Euro Cents.

I believe the price here is a touch over 1.33 Euros so about 50 cents a litre cheaper in the north!

Therefore, if my maths are correct, that is a 25 Euros saving on an average 50 litre tank.........which would buy a fair number of Efes's although, admittedly, not quite as many Keo's!! Very Happy Cool

But fail to see where the MEU3 comes in to the equation? Confused

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Yesterday 95 was selling at 6.01 lira. My maths says this is .86 Euro per litre or at current rates (6.96 lira to euro and 95 here say 1.30) saving of 44 cents. A lot less than a few weeks ago but still a lot more Effes than Keo. Is it possible to convert a car to turn on beer from the driving some do!

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
jims
Pictures: 2

SensibleBob wrote:
Yesterday 95 was selling at 6.01 lira. My maths says this is .86 Euro per litre or at current rates (6.96 lira to euro and 95 here say 1.30) saving of 44 cents. A lot less than a few weeks ago but still a lot more Effes than Keo. Is it possible to convert a car to turn on beer from the driving some do!

Paid 5.81 a couple of hours ago.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:20 am Reply with quote
carts320

If you love you vehicles engine you wouldn’t want to soley use fuel from the northern part.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Why? Most of the scare stories have been rubbished unless its a diesel.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Why? Most of the scare stories have been rubbished unless its a diesel.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
lamby

Yes it is the 98 that is 6.01 woulď not use solely but makes no difference whatsoever to performance.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
jims

carts320 wrote:
If you love you vehicles engine you wouldn’t want to soley use fuel from the northern part.

Explain why.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

carts320 wrote:

And why is that?

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
carts320

the company I work for have suffered a number of issues with fuel contamination, these issues were causing misfires, poor starting etc and a lot of smoke - yes these are diesel vehicles and have been filed from various fuel stations on the north of the island.

Myself I purchased diesel and suffered a lot of black smoking on hard acceleration, which was not and is not the same issue using fuel purchased in the south.

Ive been in petrol cars that have been filled using north petrol and you can hear the pinking from the engine, which can be due to poor octane rating, how this is different from the south to the north would be speculation.

If your happy with the way your car runs and drives using the fule from the north then dont let me spoil your savings.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

carts320 wrote:
the company I work for have suffered a number of issues with fuel contamination, these issues were causing misfires, poor starting etc and a lot of smoke - yes these are diesel vehicles and have been filed from various fuel stations on the north of the island.

Myself I purchased diesel and suffered a lot of black smoking on hard acceleration, which was not and is not the same issue using fuel purchased in the south.

Ive been in petrol cars that have been filled using north petrol and you can hear the pinking from the engine, which can be due to poor octane rating, how this is different from the south to the north would be speculation.

If your happy with the way your car runs and drives using the fule from the north then dont let me spoil your savings.

A friend of ours who has been having problems with car said his mechanic told him that he should use Petrolina as Etco causes the same problem as you described. He does not go over the North.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
madmum

lamby wrote:
Yes it is the 98 that is 6.01 woulď not use solely but makes no difference whatsoever to performance.

any reason why you would not use 98 solely?? man in petrol station told me my car would be better on 98 than 95. he has same car BMW 330ci & says it is better on mileage. think it does do slightly more & only few cents more.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
carts320

https://www.motorist.sg/article/96/95-vs-98-petrol-are-you-wasting-your-money-on-premium-fuel

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

carts320 wrote:

Had a diesel grand c4 picasso for 4 years and have never suffered any of the symptoms you describe.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
carts320

Lucky you, but I know what I’ve experienced and will go by that, you car your momey your choice, but funny enough just been talking to someone who lives that side of the island and they told me very similar issues that their friends have experienced to those that I have mention before agreeing.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters