Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Electric Cars
Electric Cars 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
Bandbox
Pictures: 0

Having recently purchased an electric car which has an advertised travel distance of about 280 km, my thoughts turned to long distance travel or 'How would I get home'. Nissan, in my case, would recharge the car at any of their showrooms, free of charge, but there are not too many of them.
Fanfare for EAC. They have 20 individual charging stations through out the Island from Polis to Paphos all the way to Paralimni and Protarus. All details are on the EAC web site.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

My longest journey's over the last year have been from the Paphos area to Strovolos in Nicosia ... I have not seen any charging points around the hospital we go to there Sad
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Bandbox

Hi trevnhil
In case it helps. There are two charging points in Strovolos.
EAC head office and the parking area Strovolos Municipality. I do not know the relative distances to the hospital and wether you could leave the vehicle being charged and then walk. There are 7 points in Nicosia so some time with a map may help future visits.
See the EAC web site for details.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

Thanks for that info Bandbox. I have yet to be convinced that electric cars are the way to go..
But hopefully the info you provided will be of help to some drivers.

Trev..

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

Take their distance claims with a pinch of salt and go hybrid to avoid running out of power.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Bandbox

I have photovoltaics on the roof so the electric transport was a no-brainer. You are correct in regards to quoted distances and the fabled pinch of salt.
Use A/C, or heating, or drive up hill, or carry several passengers etc,etc,etc. These will all reduce the available travel distance but with so many recharge points the Island is your Oyster. I plug into a 13 Amp socket say every 4 days and that is another 50 saved.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

bubblechris wrote:
Take their distance claims with a pinch of salt and go hybrid to avoid running out of power.

For once, I agree with you; hybrid is the only practical solution for Cyprus. I have been running hybrid cars now for 11 years and wouldn't have any other. I noted today that I'm running at a petrol consumption of 4.4 litres per hundred kilometres (after about 200 km since the last fill up) and this is for a normal size family saloon (Lexus CT 200 H). It has a fairly small petrol tank (I think 40 litres) and I fill up comfortably with enough to spare after 700 to 800 km.

I can think of a number of disadvantages of electric cars for Cyprus. Apart from the scarcity of filling points, these are fed from the EAC/TCO network, which means fuel oil combustion, with consequent CO2 emissions which, per kilometre, are higher than that of a hybrid car (Facts and figures have been discussed in detail in my latest book!). Another problem is that, if electric cars became popular, they would mostly be charged at night (the vehicle is in use during the day!) And the Cyprus grid would be very hard put to cope with the increased demand, particularly in residential areas. Also, it is difficult to charge their batteries from solar cells at night, during which time wind is also insufficient for most of the year. Flat dwellers may also have difficulties finding enough parking/charging slots, especially at night.

I cannot believe that the widespread use of electric cars would be possible in Cyprus without a very costly increase in electrical infrastructure.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Baggysdad
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

As an Electric Vehicle user in the UK (a 30kw Leaf) I tend to agree that, right now, they are a niche market in Cyprus, but I wouldn't dismiss them.

The charging points installed by EAC are 7kw chargers, which will take 3 hours to charge a 30kw Leaf from flat to full (they will charge a Zoe in around a third of the time as it can (uniquely, I think) an use the 3 phase functionality). OK its unlikely you'll ever be in a position to need to charge from flat to full, but topping up won't be quick. I never use 7KW chargers when out and about in the UK, as there are 'rapid' chargers which charge at 50kw.

Having said that a 40kw Leaf will have a range of around 180miles, which I reckon is Paphos to Paralimni and half way back, so the quantity and charging speed of roadside chargers in Cyprus may not be too much of an issue. The 50KW Hyundai Kona and Kia eNiro (cooming next year) will be relatively affordable cars which will likely cover the whole island on one charge.

The point that night time electricity will only use oil produced electricity is a valid one - also electricty in Cyprus is staggeringly expensive. Solar electricity producers could go a stage further and install a battery to store their solar electricity until its needed. Not sure of their availability in Cyprus, but keen EV users in the UK are buying these to add to their solar power systems.

Obvioulsy electric cars won't be a suitable solution for everyone, but well done Bandbox for being an early adopter in Cyprus. Keep us posted on how you get on.

P

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Electric Cars 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters