Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner » Apple ID problem Goto page 1, 2  Next
Apple ID problem 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

A macbook air with an old (10.7.5) operating system that I want to update, but having problems.

1. Go to Apple site to download el capitaine (necessary first step, I understand)
2. Site tells me I have to review my settings.
3. Click on link to review settings.
4. Site tells me I have to update OS to review settings.
5. Got to 1 again.

Any suggestions how I can get around this circular problem?

BTW, we don't use Windows and this is the only Apple device we possess.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Pictures: 0

Member Bromerezz if i spelt that right , is the Apple expert here.

Member of the AIPP.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

Expert is a strong word!
I would try and reinstall ensuring you have an Apple account and ID different from the one you may be getting asked to enter.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

bromerzz wrote:
Expert is a strong word!
I would try and reinstall ensuring you have an Apple account and ID different from the one you may be getting asked to enter.

I've always found Apple support extremely helpful with problems on the iPad.

Mrs T has a Macbook Pro, which I seldom go near. It frightens the Hell out of me. Shocked Very Happy

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I've searched through Apple support and their advice is to review the apple id on another Apple device, after which I'll be able to update. Brick wall

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Kwacka wrote:
I've searched through Apple support and their advice is to review the apple id on another Apple device, after which I'll be able to update. Brick wall

Ahhh! One of those round and round and round things. Very Happy

Try getting in touch with them.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

Is this of any use

In case your Mac does not have the grunt to update.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks Bromerzz, I'd already checked that page.

To update from current o/s I need to firstly update to 'el capitaine' which I can't do because I can't use current system because I can't review apple id account.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

Maybe try using WINE to install iTunes on your LINUX machine and see if that works for you.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm installing WINE now.

Meanwhile I got some advice from user Tetsujin at

:

Quote:

You cannot 'inherit' anything on a new [used] Mac you bought.

You must 'nuke & pave' - wipe it & start over.
The seller ought to have done this before parting with it - because everything on there belongs to the seller, including the OS itself.

Full instructions at Apple KB -

If you have no contact with the original owner, you have to start from Step 6 [& hope they had the sense to do the first 5].

I'm trying the reinstall (from the link in the link provided) only two-and-a-half hours to go.

I'll report back here with report on how it goes.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

In my very little limited use of an apple product I have found that the only way to sort out such a problem is to call Apple support who are excellent.

Good luck.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

bubblechris wrote:
In my very little limited use of an apple product I have found that the only way to sort out such a problem is to call Apple support who are excellent.

Good luck.

I've never called but have had exemplary email support from them in "Managing your Apple ID" in the past.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
carollynne
Pictures: 12

bubblechris wrote:

Good luck.

Try calling the Cyprus Apple Support Number..... Non Existent Shocked Shocked

I have an old ipad 2 but the apple id on that is an old email address that we now no longer have access to. Its impossible to sort from Cyprus.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

carollynne wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Good luck.

I have an old ipad 2 but the apple id on that is an old email address that we now no longer have access to. Its impossible to sort from Cyprus.

That doesn't surprise me considering how extremely careful they are dealing with what could be a misappropriated Apple machine. They are too careful but can you be too careful Wink .

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

carollynne wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Good luck.

Although it's your email isn't the Apple ID basically just a user name?

BTW. I left London and my Talk Talk internet set up 6 years ago. However, even after all this time I am still able to access my old email account on their Webmail site. 99% spam of course but I have caught a few mails from people I know and given them my current address.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

As far as I know from conversations with Apple providers over the years, these people are the ones who support the local shops who sell Apple Products.
They may or may not provide support to the public itself.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
carollynne

I have an old ipad 2 but the apple id on that is an old email address that we now no longer have access to. Its impossible to sort from Cyprus.[/quote]

Although it's your email isn't the Apple ID basically just a user name?

BTW. I left London and my Talk Talk internet set up 6 years ago. However, even after all this time I am still able to access my old email account on their Webmail site. 99% spam of course but I have caught a few mails from people I know and given them my current address.[/quote]

Thank you for your replies, we've forgotten the password to this particular email address which we had 12 years ago, and we 've also forgotten the password to the Apple ID as we both have new ones now lol Laughing Laughing Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Still trying to resolve this.

I have an Apple ID. I have gone to their website and entered details (including debit card). I have received a 'welcome to Apple' email (and another couple from Apple).

But still no joy.

However,

Quote:
iTunes payment security update affecting users on older software June 30

Apple has started notifying customers of an upcoming security update to payments on iTunes and the App Store that will affect older versions of iOS, tvOS, and macOS. The change will go take place on Saturday according to an alert from Apple.

Starting June 30, customers running older versions of iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac software will not be able to change payment sources for the iTunes and App Store without updating to newer operating systems.

Article goes on to report that Apple started emailing users on June 27th about changes on the 30th.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

carollynne wrote:

Thank you for your replies, we've forgotten the password to this particular email address which we had 12 years ago, and we 've also forgotten the password to the Apple ID as we both have new ones now lol Laughing Laughing Laughing

You can update your password (possibly Wink ) if you can answer the security questions - I don't know if they used them then.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
carollynne

Kwacka wrote:
carollynne wrote:

You can update your password (possibly Wink ) if you can answer the security questions - I don't know if they used them then.

The email address was a cytanet one, but we haven't used them for many years. We've given up now but thanks for replies Smile
Apple ID problem 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner