Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Car confiscated by Garage due to insurance company not payin
Car confiscated by Garage due to insurance company not payin 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
mikewilson25
Pictures: 0

Hi All

Hoping to get any help or advice or see if anyone has had this same problem I am having caused by Olympic Insurance.

My car is/was insured fully comprehensive through Olympic Insurance. Last sept had an accident and the car was taken to Garage A. There the insurance company assessed the damage and gave them the go ahead to do the repairs

Garage A did the mechanical work and they got Garage B to do body repairs and respraying

Car was fixed and returned but Olympic didn't pay the monies the garage was owned.

Garage B have yesterday confiscated my Car by tricking me into taking it to their garage and won't retun it unless I pay them and Garage A

I guess my question is .Are they legally entitled to do this and what can I do to get the car back.

I might add that I have been to the police who do not want to know

Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:04 am Reply with quote
UD

Seems the insurance company has insolvency problems
https://alphanews.live/economy/ti-tha-ginei-me-ten-olympic-insurance-company-ltd
If Olympic go bankrupt the only choice you will have is either pay the garages or buy another car.
good luck
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kmas100

Or pop over to the garage with your spare key?... Seems to me the challenge is for the garage to recover the money as they would have made the agreement with the insurance company.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
UD

good idea

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Who do the garages have an agreement/contract with - the insurance
company or you?

Who was due to pay them - you and recover from the insurance company or
the insurance company direct?

Whilst I understand the garages position it very much depends who they
had a contract with as to whether what they have done is legal.

Cheers

Steve
Re: Car confiscated by Garage due to insurance company not p 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

mikewilson25 wrote:

Just report it stolen, then call them and say you saw it in Garage A or B. They have to act on that.

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
mikewilson25

Steve, The work was approved and done on instructions from the Insurance company.

They were supposed to Pay for the damage as per my insurance. Only monies I was liable t pay was the 200 euro excess on the policy

The total bill for the repair of the car was almost 8000 euros with 70% being paid for by my insurance and 30% from the MIF as the other driver involved had no insurance

Problem now though is that the insurance company is in liquidation

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Then it would appear that they have no contract with you for
payment and cannot hold the car - contact the police again.

Cheers

Steve

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

mikewilson25,
So, the garage have repaired your car and haven't been paid, but you expect the garage to walk away without payment? It's almost certain that if the garage feels they're getting nothing from this and have to give you back your car, you'll get it back alright but it will be after after a mysterious person has caused considerable damage to it. Do you honestly believe you should get the job done for nothing, seriously?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

It isn't the car owner that hasn't paid the garage, he was never required to.
He took out Insurance to cover the expense of repairs.

The Garage should be claiming off the insurance company, but of course they have taken the easier route...

And I agree with Steve.. Contact the Police again..

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

Surely Olympic had insurance underwriters, can't you contact them to sort this out?

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

As the other driver was un-insured to drive the other car, so driving illegally, can you not make a separate claim through the courts for him to pay the garage.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

FSB Properties wrote:
mikewilson25 wrote:

Just report it stolen, then call them and say you saw it in Garage A or B. They have to act on that.

Correct, the vehicle has been stolen by Garage B who used deception to gain control of it after the vehicle had already been released to the owner.

Olympic insurance go bust officially on the 17 August according to today's Cyprus Mail, so the owner must report the vehicle stolen to the police and to Olympic insurance to ensure that he is a creditor of the insurers and to absolve himself of any road traffic law infringements that may be caused by the thief or thieves while in illegal control of his property.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
UD

Let us know how you get on, but now the August holidays have begun you may need to wait even longer
good luck
Car confiscated by Garage due to insurance company not payin 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues