Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Diabetes
Diabetes 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
glass101
Pictures: 0

We will be arriving on Cyprus on the 19th March, 2008 and I have seen a few postings on Diabetes. I have just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Could anyone help:

1 - When arriving do I have to register with a Doctor at Paralimni Hospital.

2 - Are prescriptions free through the NHS, if not what is the cost.

Dave.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Campbell Findlay

Hi there,
I am type two diabetic as well and my condition is controlled by tablets.I can only speak to my own experience because what you get from the hospital is governed by a few factors.
I am 59 going on 60 and my missus is over 60 and in receipt of a State Pension from UK.
Because she is a pensioner and therefore entitled to the same Health Care as a Cypriot would be and because we are married she 'drags' me along as a dependant.I attend the hospital in Paralimni once every two months to see the doctor and get my repeat prescription.
I do not pay for my medication but I am required to pay 2 euros and 5 cents to register to see the doctor.
Now then,BEFORE you can register at the hospital you have to apply for your aliens residence card at the Immigration Dept.of the local Police Station.That is a whole different ball game and you should search the FAQ section for details.
When you get your residence card take that with your passports to the hospital admin dept.and tell them you wish to register as a patient.
You have to fill in a couple of forms and about 3 weeks later you will receive a pink card in the post which you have to show every time you attend hospital.
I persuaded my GP in the UK to let me have three months supply of medication 'cos I knew it would take time for the paperwork to be processed over here.
On my first visit to the hospital at Paralimni they took an armfull of blood and asked me to bring a urine sample a week later.They then handed me a plastic container and said they wanted 24hrs worth of urine!!!
Note. The pharmacist at the hospita failed the diplomacy course and had to be reminded that I do not get my medication at the expense of the Cypriot Govt.THEY make a claim against the uk govt.for our meds.

Best of luck and stick with it - any more problems ask away and I am sure someone will have the answer for your circumstances.

Cheers,
Campbell.
NB.Forgot to mention that the hospital will not take blood for testing as a matter of course like your diabetic clinic does in the uk.You will HAVE to ask them to do it.I personally work out four visits where I not only ask for meds but also ask for a blood test -the long term one.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
contrarymary

I have diabetes and on insulin, I just go to the hospital to get my medication which I get free because I am over 60. You have to get the form E121 before leaving UK.

Blondes are intelligent
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
bigal
Pictures: 1

Campbell

Your info has been invaluable to us so far regarding diabetic care at the Paralimni Hospital.

I will be registering there as soon as we can (after our arrival on 27th).

Just to pick your brains again though. Do you have your eyes tested as part of your appointments or do you have to go to an opthalmic optician seperately?

If seperately can you recommend an opthalmic optician in Paralimni & do you have to pay?

Also, what about foot care for diabetic sufferers, hospital or seperate?

Many thanks

Bigal

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Campbell Findlay

Hi Big Al,
Have emailed you off post.
Cheers,
Campbell.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
glass101

Campbell,

Thanks for the information, very useful.

When we coming over in a few weeks we will be setting up a new business and paying into the system. Does anyone know if we have to pay for prescriptions and do we get them free.

Regards,

Dave.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Campbell Findlay

Sorry,can only answer for pensioners and husbands/wives of pensioners.

Cheers,
Campbell.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines