Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Pascal school
Pascal school 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
hadjikakoua
Pictures: 0

Can anyone tell me if they are having any problems obtaining a place in this school for September?
Are they already full and do you know what is the percentage of English to greek children attending?
We are emigrating to Cyprus this year and have been unable to obtain a place for our daughter (who is 12)at the AA from the entry exam on Saturday.We also have 5 other children ages 13, 10, 6, 3 and 3
Any information and anyone in the same boat I would be very grateful to hear from
Allyson
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Think they are still building up their numbers. They are a slick business operation and the other Pascal schools have a decent reputation.
The percentage of Brits to Cypriots is quite small and they are all put in the same class for the first year.
We felt more comfortable at Med High as it is truly multi cultural. I don't think their academic results are great but they do have a large special needs section.
We are moving over at the end of August but have only one daughter of school age.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
hadjikakoua

Thankyou for your reply. Have you a place already at med high for your daughter? What age group is she?
Regards
Allyson
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

hadjikakoua wrote:
Thankyou for your reply. Have you a place already at med high for your daughter? What age group is she?
Regards
Allyson

We were out there in April and they said we could register on arrival in early September. School starts 8th Sept I think . There is an entry test but I think it's more for assessment purposes as they have quite a few children with learning difficulties. The Pascal & AA in particular are selective and have little or no SN arrangements.
Our daughter Lara will be year 8 UK in Sept , which is first year secondary in Cyprus.
Hope everything works out for you.
Andrew
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
Yvette
Pictures: 5

Andrew you should make sure you have a place for her, (due to bad teaching in the UK) my daughter failed the maths test originally so its not just for assessment, they only agreed to take her because my son was so bright and they were desperate to have him and even put him up a year. They told me this! She's very bright too and did take the test again a few months later and she was fine and subsequently went on to pass the entrance exam for the AA where they both are now. The class may be full by September too, not trying to worry you but you should be aware that they can fail even the Med entrance exam.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
hadjikakoua

dear Andrew
I received an email from the head of Pascal last night to say that the oversea exam papers have been sent to our English school and that if successful with the exam there will be places available to our children.
You should probably check again with your school re sitting exam over here in England too

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Thanks for the concerns guys.
We were told she could sit the Pascal exam in England but decided , at this time, that it was not for us.
The AA only allow you to sit the exam in Cyprus, so there is transparency eg no cheating !
We have a contact at Med High, the SEN Coordinator, who said she would personally invigilate Lara's test in the first week of September and we had this confirmed by their administration people.She told us that there is a group of well motivated children coming into year 1 of the High School and Lara should be happy there.
Yvette........ the apartment we thought we had sorted out has fallen through as the current tenant has changed his mind and is extending. We have registerd with a few agents but if you hear of anything in Larnaca/Kiti/Pervolia etc becoming available for Aug/Sept let me know please. I might have to come out on my own in July to find somewhere but we can always camp on my mother for a while while we look.
Two or three beds up to 700 Euros pcm.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Yvette

aw shame Andrew, I will keep an eye out, what a bind if you have to come out again in July! poor you Wink

btw you can take the AA exam in the UK schools if they agree, I think it is 23rd June for the children not going into the first year, so still time if anyone is considering it for their child. I'm very happy with it and my children are happy there and believe me it takes something for me to be happy with a school!

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
hadjikakoua

Sounds set then, sorry to be interfering but I know we were shocked when Alex didnt get a place as shes doing so well in our English school and its always in the top 3 for s yorkshire area.
Yvette, what ages are your children if i may ask?
Do you live in Kiti? we have a house to go to in Mazodos at the mo (August time) but with 6 children its a bit of a squeeze if you know what i mean
regards
Allyson

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Yvette

Yes I live in Kiti, my children are 13 and 15, originally they went to the Med because we moved here in the Feb and they can't start the AA until Sept, so I moved them later because I really wasn't happy with some of the teachers at the Med who have now left/been removed.

6 children!! You are going to be busy on the school run if they're all at different schools. Mazetos is very nice, I like that area. Good luck with the move.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Yvette wrote:
aw shame Andrew, I will keep an eye out, what a bind if you have to come out again in July! poor you Wink

btw you can take the AA exam in the UK schools if they agree, I think it is 23rd June for the children not going into the first year, so still time if anyone is considering it for their child. I'm very happy with it and my children are happy there and believe me it takes something for me to be happy with a school!

Yes, as you say , you can take the exam in England but not for the senior school entry year which is for year 8 UK.
Pascal school 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools