Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Help on schooling ? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Help on schooling ? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrissy141
Pictures: 0

Hi

I am moving out to Dhyneria on the 23rd June, please can someone advise me of the schools which are available in the area, my son is 11 years turning 12 in September.

Is there a waiting list ?

When do the children break up for the summer ?

Thanks
Chrissy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

Whilst you are waiting for a answer may I suggest that you read the following post http://easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=8533

as it is relative to bringing secondary school aged children to Cyprus.

Bill
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
Chrissy141

well I was hoping for a more positive reply from someone !!!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote
marion
Pictures: 4

Chrissy, I'm non-resident (and not a mum) but I can point you at some useful information - http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/information.asp#11 - which includes info on the school year and holidays.

Can't help on the rest though, sorry.

Marion

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Yvette
Pictures: 5

omg have you not thought about this yet? Your only real option there is xenion high school in paralimni, they will probably break up mid June so you'd best email them right now, your son will need to take the entrance exam but its not too difficult, easier than the Med High. Be warned they are not good at communication, they weren't with me anyway so I gave up in the end. Sorry I dont have the email addy but I'm sure they'll have a web-site. Good luck

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Jinty

Quote:
Whilst you are waiting for a answer may I suggest that you read the following post http://easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=8533
Bill

Quote:

'well I was hoping for a more positive reply from someone !!!'

Chrissy, that was a bit harsh, Bill did say his post was while you were waiting for an answer..........

Cheers,
Jinty
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrissy141

Thanks Marion

That information site is really useful...

Chrissy

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Hello Chrissy,

Best to telephone the Xenion, I found the head very helpful on the phone.

Ruth

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
bill

Well Chrissy you haven't made it exactly clear if you intend sending your children to a fee paying english school or a free state school.

I'm really surprised you are only just thinking about your child's education and you are moving here on the 23rd of June .

I obviously don't know but I get the impression from your post that you haven't really given this move as much thought as you perhaps should have done ~ and probably didn't think much of the post on state schools although it is a reminder of the problems faced by immigrants children in Cyprus .

There is no need to thank me as you did for Marion but I urge you to read the post if you intend to send your child to a Greek state school.

If in fact you are sending your child to a english speaking school then ignore this and my previous post .

Best of luck with your move .

Bill

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
bill

Thank you for your comments Jinty ~ I was only trying to help Chrissy but obviously my attempt didn't go down to well Shocked

Bill

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:19 am Reply with quote
Kathyoke

If your child is 11, and you plan to send them to a fee paying english school, they will have no problems. Check out the search facility on the top of the page for schools and all the info about them is there.

If you plan to send them to a greek state school, then its going to be difficult for them because of the language. Greek schools are not like english schools and they will not give lessons in english. Extra lessons are provided for greek, but to be honest, by the time they have learnt enough to understand whats going on in the school it will be time for them to leave!

You will need to contact the english schools asap, to get the paperwork sorted out. For greek school, there is a registration day before they start the next year.

Hope that helps.

Kathy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55
Pictures: 2

I am going-again to-morrow, to speak to the School(Paralimni 4) Our Jack(ten in july) is bored out of his pants, and is refusing to go at all! they have had him for nine months and taught him nothing-except Greek, which he is very good at, because he is bright and keen to learn, and I know it's important to learn Greek, but what about the rest of his education? I have blown hot and cold over this School, but now? very cold. To-morrow, they get an ultimatum, educate him, or he will be withdrawn! I don't need to get up at an unearhtly hour-nor does he, for what? hours of boredom? It's bad, very bad.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

Chrissy141 wrote:
Hi

I am moving out to Dhyneria on the 23rd June, please can someone advise me of the schools which are available in the area, my son is 11 years turning 12 in September.

Is there a waiting list ?

When do the children break up for the summer ?

Thanks
Chrissy

Chrissy.
Hi

I thought i would give you this information, as my neighbours are Cypriot and teach at the school in Paralimni.

These are the problems that they tell me they are having to put up with.

Firstly he teaches mathematics and speaks very little English himself, how does he cope when teaching English kids he can't and openly admits this.

She teaches Greek to foreigners, she used to teach it to willing adults and enjoyed her job, these days she is stressed and not enjoying her job.

Some of the children she teaches do want to learn, and try very hard, others can'nt cope and make things difficult for the others in the group by miss behaving and causing disruption in class.

One has even insulted them by telling them he will not learn any Greek ,why should he, when they should be speaking English.!!!

She is also worried about the education of these children who are really struggling with school work even if they do try hard with the Greek Lessons.

This is an honest opionion of people who teach at the Greek State Scholls for a living and the problems they are experiencing, they recognise there are faults in the system but they can only do there best , and sometimes your best is not good enough.

I see 2 people who were very happy in there job now becoming more and more stressed and anxious about the role they have in the education of foreign students.

They do care , but they can only cope with so much.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Jinty

Quote:
I don't need to get up at an unearhtly hour-nor does he, for what? hours of boredom? It's bad, very bad.

Pam, I'm a bit lost here................

If Jack is fluent in Greek why is he bored and what is lacking in the teaching curriculum? Is he in a class too young for him?..... Also, my son put his daughter in Ayias Nik but again, the school hours were 7.00/7.30am (can't remember), start. I agree it's an unearthly hour, but don't think you will find any school in Cyprus that doesn't start early.

Elizabeth, very good points in your post (welcome home Smile ).

Cheers,
Jinty

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

Standard secondary school day starting time is 7.30 am, finishing at 1.35 pm. Private English-medium secondary schools vary slightly from this, but the only real exception I've come across is the Grammar School, Nicosia, which starts at 8.35 in order to allow time for buses in the morning traffic to arrive from all over Nicosia.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
michele

My advice is if he doesn't already speak Greek then send him into Larnaca to an English School as putting him in a Greek school at that age would ruin his education.
But, if he speaks Greek then it is a different matter.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Jinty, Jack speaks Greek very well, but the School put him back two years, they are puting him up a year, but he will still be bored, as it is still behind. St Nic won't take a child if they have been to a Greek School for more than six months, as htey will be too far behind! or I would have him there, mind you, how can I make two trips to Vrysoulis a day? I have to work. As for the English Schools in Larnaca? Why are the called English?That alone puts Jack off, I quote,'Why would I want to go to an English School? I am Scottish/Cypriot' Things are on the up lol, he used to just say 'Scottish'.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:11 am Reply with quote
Yvette

Pam, why not try the American Academy in Larnaca? There's a bus from your area I believe. I would say that its about 80% Cypriot children there and my children love it there, although they have to work much harder than when they were at the Med.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
michele

The schools in Larnaca are referred to as English schools as they teach "English" and lessons are in "English" ,to the pupils from whatever country they come from, be it Cyprus, England, Scotland, Ireland, Israel, etc...

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

I find this whole 'Celtic' thing against the English laughable.
The British Isles have been a melting pot for millenniums. The very people who dance around happily when England are beaten at anything are often as 'English' as the next person.
A Scotsman was pontificating about their supposed connection with the French. Must have been referring to Bonnie Prince Charlie, the tiny French fop , who led them to disaster against the English, then ran away when the blood was flowing.The nasty old English who were invaded themselves by the French,Germans and Danes etc.
Even the royal family are Greeks and Germans.

It is this kind of ethnic bigotry, that causes most of the problems between peoples, whether it be in the UK, Cyprus or anywhere else.

Oh well at least the 'sweaties' lost in the Cup Final before attacking the English police Twisted Evil
Help on schooling ? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools