Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » How does one get health insurance in Cyprus? Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post: #21   PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks
Pictures: 0

Good luck with the move. We won't be far behind you.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
MarsdenCuckoo

Andrew Brooks wrote:
linda&bill wrote:
Steve,
I'm registered as a dependant of a pensioner (early retirement, I might add), so I can't help on the work/ business question.
If you go into immigration they will give you a list of the things you need.

We are renting for a year, to try it out.
I took early retirement from teaching in the UK, I will be 58 and my wife 51, might do a bit of teaching in Cyprus. We will have our 12 year old daughter with us.
Do you have the E106 for yourselves ? I believe our daughter just needs the E111.

E111 has now been replaced with EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) - before you leave the UK you apply for some form or other (sorry, not sure which) and then you're apparently covered for at least a year (maybe longer) under your EHIC. As posted above, the EHIC is basically for tourists travelling within Europe - you'll be charged €2 (admin charges?) if you need to use it.

Also, as someone else has already posted, if you're in employment when you apply at Immigration (is it really necessary now for EU citizens?) then no medical insurance cover required - much shorter form but needs your employer's details and their company stamp.

Christine
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #23   PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Campbell Findlay

Hi there,
Go into the FAQ section and onto page two.Bobbeer has posted a thread headed "Health Care Entitlement in Cyprus under EU Regs"
If you go full size on the image you will have everything spelled out for you.Hope this helps 'cos its a minefield.

Cheers,
Campbell.

Post: #24   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Thanks everyone.

Post: #25   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
linda&bill

Andrew,
As Campbell has said it's a minefield.
We applied for E106 while we were still in UK. I didn't get it because I wasn't working.
Bill did get it, but it was only valid for two years from the date he stopped work so he only had 2 months on it when we arrived, so we didn't bother registering.
If either of you are entitled to it, the notes say you may be able to be registered as a dependant
As Christine said, E111 has been replaced by EHIC, which is for tourists, but there are a lot of people in Cyprus illegally using it for treatment.
EHIC is valid for 5 years, but don't tell them you're going abroad, I did and they only issued me with cards for 1 year.
If it's any help, we're a little bit younger than you, 52 and 48, with a 12 year old and our medical insurance was just under cyŁ600 for a year.

Post: #26   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Thanks Linda.
Just out of interest. Have you needed to claim on your medical insurance ?
Under the NHS GP system we have pre- existing conditions monitored and annual check ups etc.
Do you know the best way to achieve this in Cyprus ?
eg Registering medical records with a clinic.

Andrew

Post: #27   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
linda&bill

No Andrew, never needed to claim and we never needed a doctor either.
I have read somewhere that you can get a printout from your GP to take to Cyprus with you.

Post: #28   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Yes, I saw that too.
It's just that as you get older, it is sensible to keep an eye on things like blood pressure/ cholesterol and that is why UK GP's now do this, or rather the nurses do, on at least an annual basis.Prevention is better than waiting until something has already gone wrong, is the theory.Mind you the Cyprus lifestyle is a great starter!
I suppose you could just pay to visit a doctor and have these tests done periodically.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
caligi

Andrew there are many places here where you can have 'check-up' tests done...

We even had to have bio-chemistry tests etc for our mortgage! oh and ive had to have about 3 Aids tests too for life insurance etc! they like testing here!

I myself now have to have blood tested every two weeks & its only Euros12.

Im glad we took out private health insurance & I have used it twice (once for birth of baby)

we pay just over Euro200 per month for family of 7 !
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #30   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Thanks for that.

Post: #31   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

caligi wrote:
we pay just over Euro200 per month for family of 7 !

Hi thanks for that - can I confirm that your insurance is with CypriaLife?

Will be looking around for this myself so it's handy to know.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #32   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
caligi

Yes with Cyprialife

Post: #33   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
deedeepuss

linda&bill wrote:
No Andrew, never needed to claim and we never needed a doctor either.
I have read somewhere that you can get a printout from your GP to take to Cyprus with you.

I have spoken with my GP, and closer to leaving the UK I am going to sit with the Head Receptionist at the doctors and she said she will give me a print out to take with me. The doctors I visit at the hospital, have been lovely, they have said that once I have a doctors sorted over there they will send a copy of my records over. They even wrote to me and said that if I have an address before I go they would do it before I left the UK.
How does one get health insurance in Cyprus? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines