Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Ticks
Ticks 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
yhztolca
Pictures: 1

not sure if it was the drastic change in temperature lately or not but there seem to be 10x as many ticks around my neck of the woods than last year.. Our little guy has never had a single tick before this week.. and this week we've found over 10 on him!! one actually did bite him, which was intersting removing for the 1st time.. the others were just on the outside of his coat..
I Frontline/Prac-tic my dog monthly but it doesn't seem to be stopping them. Anyone else having this same problem?

I'm trying to walk him in different areas where there isn't as much long grass, but it's hard to avoid it here unfortunately.

Ticked off with Ticks!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
beersmaggie
Pictures: 0

Do you walk your dog where a shepherd has grazed his sheep /goats Question If so change your walking area. The shepherds dont douse for tics and fleas very often if at all and they leave a hell of a big trail of them as they graze through a field.
I use Adventics for the treatment of these nasty little b*****s Exclamation ........Maggie Larnaca
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
yhztolca

no we walk him directly in front and behind our complex. There are no goats etc so far this year. However they were there this time last year and i'm pretty sure i read somewhere it takes a year for their eggs to hatch.. so could be a result of the goats from last spring. How does the Advantics work? Is it similar to Frontline and Prac-Tic?
I used Prac-Tic on him 2 days ago and the damn things still grabbing onto him. I'm trying to walk him in an area where the long grass is not present.. as they hang out at the end of the long grass and grab onto him as he runs thru it.
Ugh they're nasty little things alright!!

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

You use the Advantics the same as you do frontline etc. a drop at the back of the neck and it spreads right through thier coat. I usually give a quick spray under the tummy as well with Frontline, better to be safe than sorry. The vets over here sell Advantics so you shouldnt have to look too far for it........Maggie Larnaca

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

Hi,

I always use a tick collar from the vet, touch wood it has worked every year. They last for about 6 months as long as you don't get them wet.

Sue

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
yhztolca

pulled another 2 off him yesterday.. Even after using Prac-tic drops they're still grabbing onto him. Luckly he's a short haired yellow coat so they're very easy to see and remove.. but i hate the little buggers!! We've never ever had a prob with ticks until this month, it's crazy!!
ticks 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Bevo

Hi i to noticed the ticks were in abundance this year. But even with the Frontline treatment i find that they still come along for the ride but they don't get uner the skin, sometimes have found the odd dead one & another time have seen one walking along the floor. They crack when you kill them Laughing . Anyway the treatment given is working cause they not staying on him, but must remember to treat as per directions, the frontline i use is every month & will do so without fail, cause they are buggers when get under his skin Mad

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Buddy

If they don't fall off smother them in vasaline and they will suffacate. They are then easy to get off. Keep finding dead ones on the floor but Bud had one on his nose the other day and I did that and pulled it off the next day.

Sue

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
yhztolca

I was told by the Vet not to smother them in anything. I used to use nail varnish back home as a friend suggested it would kill them, however the Vets have advised against this (I also read this on the web as well) as when you put something on the ticks to irritate them they attempt to dig in even deeper and "cement" themselves into your pet which can cause even more problems.
I'm not sure how much truth is actually to it but just to be sure i'm keeping our little guy frontlined monthly and if one by chance grabs him, removing it carefully with tweezers.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Buddy

Oops, didn't hear about that. Still did come off easily though.
Sue

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus