Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries » Pam and John's moving Diary - Your Comments Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post: #21   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Jinty
Pictures: 0

Hi Pam,

Quite a worryiing posting about the cost of living in Cyprus. More so, as we are on the point of making the final decision...............

Thing I was wondering Pam is, are you comparing it to the same type of life style you had in Scotland? ie., eating out more etc. With the best will in the world I know it's few and far between we go out to eat here, more or less got to be a special occasion.

Cheers,
Jinty
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55
Pictures: 2

Hi jinty, We very rarely ate out at home, no I'm talkng about the cost of food at the supermarkets, we are going through over 100cyp per week, this is for three of us, I have tried shopping for the week, and just getting what i need everyday, it works out the same, and I cook, I don't buy ready meals, mind you, you can't get them anyway. I am going to keep a list of what I buy this coming week, then add it up.

Post: #23   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Thanks Bob, I know you are right.

Post: #24   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
chuckie

Hi Pam,

We were also surprised at how much we were spending on everday things when we moved and I totalled everything for a week. Can't remember exactly how much but I think about 75CYP. We ate out more then. We've only cut down on the going out 'cos we've just moved and are busy trying to get straight.

I get my sausages, chicken and mince from Litsas Supermarket in Vrysoulles they are the cheapest and the quality is excellent. I also shop at Elomas on the Frenaros to Derynia road which is very good for UK biccies etc. The rest I get from Carrefour. I did used to get my veg and fruit from Liopetri market but found it got a bit iffy.

As for the other spending ....... came with thousands and have minus thousands left !!! That's not quite true but just bought 2 headboards and 2 bedside tables and said goodbye to 500 Euros.

What annoyed me the most was although we shipped everything from the UK and had to rent for a year, because of the quality of linen, bedding, kitchen equipment etc I had to buy new. Sorry I should say we rented "furnished" as our things were stored in Limassol.

We are now in our brand new villa trying to get organised and my favourite saying at the moment is "that's it, I'm not spending any more money".

See you Thursday at the coffee morning Pam.

Carol
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #25   PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Carol, i go to a little cash n carry just outside Derynia on the way to Frenaros, haven't seen the one you describe, you can tell me about it on Thursday!

Post: #26   PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Jinty, As we are in Euros now, it's harder to keep track, but to give you an idea, this week, Butchers, 12 euros, supermarket, 70 euros, back to-day, 20 euros. i will need to go again by Friday.

Post: #27   PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
bigal
Pictures: 1

Hi Pam

I must have missed one of your diary entries but have now caught up.

I was saddened to read your post of Jan 22nd but carried on & am pleased you are now feeling better about your new life.

With 26 days to go till we join you all, its actually Allan who is now worrying whether he will have a reason to get up in the mornings.

I'm sure part of this is because we've had to pack & store most of his "hobbies" equipment etc & other than the continuing packing he has nothing to keep him busy.

I have such a long list of things I want to do when we've settled in - the coffee mornings are high on the list of course - that I'm confident we will be happy.

I accept that we are both bound to have regrets & worries but I, like you, will try & work through them.

Reading everyones diaries & other posts on here really help.

Ruth Smile

Post: #28   PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Hi Pam,

Thanks for the updates on your diary, always interesting to read. You must be getting excited about your new place. (Give us a hint Laughing )

Best wishes to you all.

Ruth

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Ruth and Ruth!lol, Thanks for your reply's. We waved off friends to the UK last night, and to be honest, I had a pang of envy, but i don't know what it is I miss! i'm sure I'll get past this. We are going home at the end of the season to meet our new grandaughter, think we will come back?? course we will. I don't want to say much about our new place yet, cos we haven't sorted out our sponsorship yet, which I will do in the next week or two, we wanted everything to be in place first, we are still sorting out new tables, chairs etc. Look forward to meeting both of you.

Post: #30   PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Jewels
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi Pam,

Thanks for the update, I love reading this section and am glad
that Ruth suggested it !

Thanks

Julie

Post: #31   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Folks, This will be my final post re my diary,as we are now going to be busy with our Pub. Things have settled down well now, and we are all content. We move house in a couple of weeks, so we will be running round trying to sort both out at once, so should be fun! Our friends offered to bring us anything we wanted back from the UK which was very kind, but we decided that we must learn to live with what we can get here,and not be forever pining for what we can't have. We have been enjoying the warm weather this last week, here comes summer! the crickets are in song too, that always makes me smile, and think what a great place to live. We are in our sixth month, and can honestly say now, NO REGRETS. All the very best to everyone making the move, enjoy your life in Sunny Cyprus.

Post: #32   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
chuckie

Hi Pam, John and Jack,

All the very best to you all. We are looking forward to the Grand Opening of your Pub!!!

I suppose you'll be giving the coffee morning a miss ?

Carol

Post: #33   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
May Wallace
Pictures: 9

Hi Pam

Good luck to you all for your big move Wink

Hopefully everything will go well and you'll settle soon in your new places.

Look forward to hearing from you when you settled

May Wink

Post: #34   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Jinty

'Awrabest', Pam and family in both your new home and business.

Great to know all is well and you have got over the little bit of homesickness.

Cheers,
Jinty

Post: #35   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Thanks so much everyone. I think i have the homesickness sorted, i don't miss the place, just some people, and the shops, i will see the people, and i can visit the shops when i go on visits!
Chuckie, No, I won't get along on Thursdays now till next winter, so will miss you all, I hope the coffee mornings continue and grow.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
contrarymary

All the best in your new home Pam and the Pub of course.

Blondes are intelligent

Post: #37   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
bigal
Pictures: 1

Best wishes to you Pam, John & Jack in your move & the new business.

Bigal & Ruth

Post: #38   PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Thanks Mary, Big All and Ruth. x

Post: #39   PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
twentyone21

pam, on one of your posts you mention that greek schools were rubbish, if someone was bringing a child into the education system, in your opinion what would be the lowest age that you may think the child settle in period might work, i also assume you would reccomend going to english style schools otherwise at great cost me thinks, regards mark

Post: #40   PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Sorry Mark, Just spotted your post. I would say, if the child is over seven, then they are going to find a Greek School hard, unless they can speak Greek. To be honest, if I had known what I know now, I would have not made the move with Jack in tow, he was nine, ten now. In Greek School, they put the Brittish kids back two years so they can grasp the language? all very well, but they learn nothing else, and are bored in class. When the School admitted they didn't have the resources for Brittish kids, it was time to say 'bye bye Sooty' Jack has been having intense private Greek lessons, which are essential I think to give him a fighting chance. Famagust area is in dire need of a junior 'English' School, but then, some would argue that the children would not be intregating with the Cypriot children? my jury is still out Confused

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries