Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Home Wanted- Now Found
Home Wanted- Now Found 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Padsntails
Pictures: 0

Yesterday we were walking in Lefkara hills when we found 2 abandoned puppies. The Mum had been shot!

We called out the emergency vet as they seemed in a bad way. Unfortunately the little boy pup had to be put to sleep as he had terrible rickets front and back legs and could not stand. The little bitch was lucky. The vet said she has mild rickets in the hind legs but she gets around pretty well. With good feeding and as she grows stronger she will be able to lead a relatively normal life.

After a bath, food, water and a nice warm bed last night, Kara (as we have called her) shows great determination to survive. She has spent this morning playing in the sunshine and is getting around with no problem.

Can you give this lovely 6 week old biege and white puppy a loving, understanding and safe home? After her bad start in life and her determination to survive she deserves it. Can you make 2008 a happy year for Kara?

If you can help please contact me on 99853470.

With many thanks.

Sandy

Last edited by Padsntails on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
jo_uk_1799

What the hell is wrong with people!! This makes me so furious. If they did not want their dogs why could they not have had them put to sleep by a proper vet instead of letting them suffer this way, its totally disgusting. I just wish the government would get tougher on this sort of cruelty. If I were there I would help but im not yet. Will try some of my friends. Thank goodness someone caring like you found them.
Jo
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
sharmie71

I TELL YOU WHY !!!!!!!!! TO TAKE THEM TO THE VETS COSTS MONEY AND TO ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL NOT PAY .

MOST PEOPLE OVER HERE ARE ONLY INTERESTED IF THE ANIMALS CAN MAKE THEM MONEY ANY THAT CANNOT GET DUMPED !!!!!

YES I AGREE IT IS AWFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

Totally agree about the apalling cruelty inflicted on animals here and it is a huge issue which must be addressed, but when and how is the big question.

Must say though that my vet Tasos in Paralimni, and other vets over the island do fantastic work and are very caring people they do have a mountain to climb though, when I visit Tasos there is always a 50/50 spread of British and Cypriots with their animals waiting to be seen all animals cared for and loved. Only once did I witness a poor animal (hunting dog) in a terrible condition Tasos yelled at the supposed 'owner' and he was shown the door. Not all Cypriots are cruel, but a mindset that goes back generations has to change with others and its people like yourselves that will hopefully help change things, but it still goes on unfortunately.

The UK has just highlighted a massive cruelty to lots of horses that were found dead and dying on a 'farm' all this just for money!

The shelters in Cyprus do fantastic work though and occasionally reports of animal cruelty appear in the papers its not a lot but its someting, we cannot take in a dog because of our cat but give money to the shelters when we can. Hope you find a kind and loving home for the pup soon, I,m sure you will.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
jo_uk_1799

There is a group of cats in Protaras that I feed everyday when Im over. It's a thankless task really as in a way it makes the problem worse because they keep breeding. Obviously though I cant bear to see them hungry especially with kittens to feed. I was thinking of starting a collection in pubs by just leaving a box for loose change to try and collect a few hundred pounds to get this group neutered ( Last count there as about 20) A local lady told me there are vets that will do this for 10. At lest that way the group will die out naturally if unable to breed and should live a happy life being fed until then. What does anyone think? I know it's the tip of the iceberg but maybe a start.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
deedeepuss

In Fuerteventura they have what I deem as a really good system. A lady in the UK collects money, does charity things then goes over yearly with the money and gets the cats neutered. The ones that are neutered have a snip taken out of their ears, which I believe isn't too painful, so when she returns the year after she knows which cats to take to be neutered.

Last edited by deedeepuss on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Padsntails

I do exactly the same when I manage to be-friend the local feral cats. I catch them, they go off to the vet for speying/neutering and a small snip is taken out of one ear. Its a good system. I have found a vet in Larnaca that does feral cats at a reduced rate or I send them off to Paphos through the animal charity shop in Larnaca, pay a donation and they are returned to me the following week. I release them in the area that they came from and they rejoin their colony.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
jo_uk_1799

This sounds like a really good idea. I move over in about 3 weeks so hope you dont mind if I contact you then. Maybe I can make this one group my mission. There were about 20 last count and I found at least three dead kittens that were so skinny and had terrible eye infections last year.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
ANGEL7

[b]The mother of the pups should not have been shot, thats a disgrace. Did you find the mother? how did you know the mother was shot?

The puppies should not have been put to sleep by anyone vet or not, that is also wrong. If someone cannot care for an animal its worth there while going to a vet and explaining there situation, I am sure a vet would have helped with injection etc. Or take the animals to a shelter, they could find a home because puppies are much easier to rehome, but for gods sake dont dump the poor babies!!!

You have a good heart and god must have wanted you to stumble across them because you care enough to look after them atleast till they find a new home.

Try to rehome them together if possible. You can print out little posters for rehoming them and I am sure a vet would put them up in there window or practice for you.

We had 2 puppies dumped under our car and found them in the morning huddles up together, we imediately rehomed them both together not seperated but we were lucky.

Also ask around your friends, they may know someone that knows someone that could take them?! Oh and putting little posters up in pet shops is also a good idea. Its worth a try.

Good luck. God Bless. Let us know how its going![/b]

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

Angel,

From the way I read the email, the poor pup was very sick which is why it was put to sleep, sadly they are sometimes too far gone to be helped. In my experience vets here will not put a healthy animal to sleep.

Just a thought?

Sue

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
Padsntails

You are right. The boy pup was very sick and that is why we called out the emergency vet. The vet was very upset to have to put the poor thing to sleep but its legs were so badly deformed from rickets it could only crawl on his belly. The vet said he would never recover. The poor soul had given up. He was hardly responsive at all. We were all very upset but it was the only option.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
ANGEL7

Oh my thats an extreme case. I would never want an animal to suffer. There was a reason for the pup to be put to sleep in this case. What I cant understand is who would be so cruel as to shoot there mother?!

People can be very evil though, a man walked into a vet and asked if they sold poison to kill dogs and cats! The vet said she devoted her life to saving animals and these idiots are doing things like this and even expecting a vet to sell poison!

I really do wish you all the luck in the world I am sure someone will take the surviving pup.

ANGEL

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
Padsntails

The owner of the Mum was a hunter (so called!!!). We saw her shot by his feet! He obviously had no use for her any more because she had produced 2 sick puppies (both with rickets) What the idiot didnt realise is that had he fed the mother properly during pregnancy and feeding her pups she would have produced good milk with all the vitamins etc in it to bring up healthy pups! You will be pleased to know Kara is now running around. Last Sunday she could barely walk on her back legs and actually walked on the hocks of her back legs. Now she is running on all four paws. So fast, she even climbs up all the stairs! The vet is so pleased with her progress and she has had her first innoculation. She loves our cats and follows them everywhere, even cuddling up to them to sleep. She will make someone a wonderful pet. We already have a house full so cannot keep her. We are happy to hold on to her until the perfect home is offered.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
ANGEL7

That is wonderful news, if she's improving this fast, its looking good!

I dont agree with hunting but it cant be stopped. Most hunters will starve there dogs up to 'the hunt' so that they are more eager I guess. Its a disgrace really. I saw a rescue dog the other day, she was born with severly diformed front legs, they were advised to put her to sleep because she was dragging herself along and the vet said she would burn a whole in her chest but they refused to do that, they trained her to sit up first and now 3 years later she is fine and hops to get about like a human, she actually has learned to stand upright and is an extremely happy dog. Hrer front legs stayed the same size and length as a puppies but she is medium to large sized. So anything is possible with animals, they are very wonderful and amazing creatures. If you have a ny photo's I would love to see them, you can email me off board.

A smile has appeared on my face for little Kara! Wink

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

Maybe I'm living in Cloud Cookoo land, but why can't they bring in laws and enforcement agencies to uphold these laws, there is so much cruelty that goes on, I know alot is down to education, but these agencies, similar to those in the States, HSPCA, also go around educating as well, I guess also similar to the RSPCA.

If the hunter that shot the poor dog has kids, his kids are going to grow up thinking it is ok to starve a dog to get it to hunt, then if it doesn't do the right thing, shoot it.

As for the guy asking for the poison, I would like to buy some and get him to eat it, see how he reacts to that. God it makes my blood boil, ignorant b******ds that they are.

Sue
Crying or Very sad

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ANGEL7

[b]I could not have said it better myself!!![/b]
Kara 
Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Padsntails

Thank you to everyone who took an interest in Kara after we found her abandoned in Lefkara. In such a short time she has put on weight and her legs are strong again. She was a joy to look after. I dont know how but word has travelled throughout Cyprus and we had 3 calls offering a home. Today she started a new life with a lovely man called Avangelos and his wife in Limassol. They have already rescued and given homes to 3 other dogs and now they have taken Kara into their home. She has a lovely big house and garden and 3 great new pals to play with. We are so grateful to these lovely people for taking her into their hearts. Thank you again everyone for all your support.

Sandy

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
ANGEL7

[b]That is wonderful, I am so happy for little Kara and you ofcourse, God Bless you for helping this little soul, I wish her and you all the luck in the world which I am sure you will recieve as helping an animal is one of the most special and rewarding things in the world!

Please keep us updated if you get any news on how she's doing!
Would love to see a pic one day![/b] Laughing [b]ANGEL[/b]
E mail address 
Post: #19   PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Padsntails

Hi

I tried to post a couple of pictures on board but nothing happened. If you let me know your e mail address i will e mail them direct.

Sandy

Post: #20   PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
ANGEL7

Hi, I dont want to post my email directly because I dont want to be targeted by scamers but... http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=8202 go here and you'll find a post posted by me 'ANGEL7' you just click on that, send me a mail just saying pup pics or something and I'll mail you back with my address, hope that isnt too much trouble just cant bare any more random mails :O) cant wait to see the pics

ANGEL
Home Wanted- Now Found 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus