Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Operation Yellowhammer Report - Details Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post: #21   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:
I see this document was printed at the beginning of August? Confused

How strange, because I'm sure that Boris Johnson told us, last month, that this was an 'old' report which had no relevance to the current situation!!

Not like ol' Boris to be economical with the truth!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

BTW, one can see now why Leadsom thought people might be "concerned" about its contents! Rolling Eyes

And exactly how,long do you think it takes to put a document of this type Together? Overnight?. “What If” planning is common in any business and it is prudent to do so, better to be prepared for the worst case rather than caught with your trousers down. But hey, why let common sense get in the way of a bit of “Boris Bashing”, sorry the operative word there being common sense...which with some seems not to apply.

Surely that's a contradiction of terms.

Boris and Common sense.

Oh I wasn’t applying the term to Boris...

At Last you admit Boris has not got any common sense.

You can rad can’t you? 🙄

I can, but you can't spell. Laughing

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Operation Yellowhammer Report - Details 
Post: #22   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Hudswell wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

An interesting comment on page 1, second paragraph, suggesting that the EU commission is not supportive of Member States coming to bi lateral agreements with the UK after Brexit.

The EU negotiates with other states on their members' behalf - they don't do negotiations independently.

And your “beliefs” have just summed up why the UK wishes to leave the UK, well done. And point of order, Member states are permitted to strike bilateral agreements, Cyprus just concluded one with the UK in regard to tax arrangements, remember?

Yes, one EU country has agreed a taxation deal with another EU country and personal taxation isn't covered by the EU regulations.

It is a simple fact (I know you believe that facts get in the way of what your beliefs) that the EU does negotiate on behalf of its members.

For example, the EU is in talks with the UK on behalf of the sovereign member states of the EU.

I don't understand why you suppose that body representing over half a billion people will be outdone by a country with a population of 65 million will have the upper hand and, consider it be be a positive - could you explain it to me, please?

Who gets a better deal when buying Fairy Liquid - you or Tesco?

Post: #23   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

'Operation Yellowhammer'?

All this came out 4 years ago!

When did they rename 'Project Fear'?

Post: #24   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Pictures: 0

Kwacka wrote:

Good evening Kwacka.

Well, you can keep singing the same old song, of scorn and sarcasm as much as you want but it doesn’t change the fact that’s exactly what it was. A concerted effort of blatant lying by the top tier of government, the civil service, big business and elements of the media (to name a few) aimed at scaring the electorate into voting to stay in the EU. It had the exact opposite effect then as I suspect it ultimately will this time.

Yellowhammer is a worse case contingency planning exercise.

The genie’s out of it’s bottle and it’s never going back.

But you know that of course.

Post: #25   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

clive of payia wrote:
Is there a "Redhammer" Document on the worst case scenario of staying in the EU?

If there was it would be very, very brief! Rolling Eyes

Post: #26   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

Kwacka wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

An interesting comment on page 1, second paragraph, suggesting that the EU commission is not supportive of Member States coming to bi lateral agreements with the UK after Brexit.

The EU negotiates with other states on their members' behalf - they don't do negotiations independently.

And your “beliefs” have just summed up why the UK wishes to leave the UK, well done. And point of order, Member states are permitted to strike bilateral agreements, Cyprus just concluded one with the UK in regard to tax arrangements, remember?

Yes, one EU country has agreed a taxation deal with another EU country and personal taxation isn't covered by the EU regulations.

It is a simple fact (I know you believe that facts get in the way of what your beliefs) that the EU does negotiate on behalf of its members.

For example, the EU is in talks with the UK on behalf of the sovereign member states of the EU.

I don't understand why you suppose that body representing over half a billion people will be outdone by a country with a population of 65 million will have the upper hand and, consider it be be a positive - could you explain it to me, please?

Who gets a better deal when buying Fairy Liquid - you or Tesco?

I believe every EU MS is allowed to negotiate its own bilateral agreements, or does that go against your EUSSR beliefs? So please stick your facts quite frankly where the sun does not shine. And in regard to why? Should individual sovereign states in the EU negotiate with the EU? Because in some cases, Spain for example, they get huge revenue from UK expats and tourists...oh and oerhaps Cyprus and Malta and..

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #27   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:

How strange, because I'm sure that Boris Johnson told us, last month, that this was an 'old' report which had no relevance to the current situation!!

Not like ol' Boris to be economical with the truth!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

BTW, one can see now why Leadsom thought people might be "concerned" about its contents! Rolling Eyes

And exactly how,long do you think it takes to put a document of this type Together? Overnight?. “What If” planning is common in any business and it is prudent to do so, better to be prepared for the worst case rather than caught with your trousers down. But hey, why let common sense get in the way of a bit of “Boris Bashing”, sorry the operative word there being common sense...which with some seems not to apply.

Boris and Common sense.

You can rad can’t you? 🙄

I was just checking Cap’n

Mercury Rising
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #28   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
mouse

Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
mouse wrote:
Hudswell wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:

Boris and Common sense.

You can rad can’t you? 🙄

I was just checking Cap’n

Wink

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hudswell wrote:

I believe every EU MS is allowed to negotiate its own bilateral agreements, or does that go against your EUSSR beliefs? So please stick your facts quite frankly where the sun does not shine. And in regard to why? Should individual sovereign states in the EU negotiate with the EU? Because in some cases, Spain for example, they get huge revenue from UK expats and tourists...oh and oerhaps Cyprus and Malta and..

MS?

Microsoft?
Multiple Sclerosis?
Master of Science?
Marks & Spencer?
Mississippi?

You've seen that May & BJ can't negotiate with Merkel, Macron, et al, and only this week the Taiseac siad that he couldn't negotiate with BJ as that was the role of the EU - but you refuse to accept what is patently obvious.

Individual sovereign states in the EU do negotiate with other independent sovereign states - it's a democratic body (remember the EU elections?). They negotiate in the EU Parliament and Council of Ministers.

I don't think that Malta negotiates with Thomas Cook's over what tourists pay, I think that's where the free market comes in.

Quote:
fact
noun

something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fact

It doesn't matter where you 'shove ' facts, and it doesn't matter whether they're my facts , your facts, BJ,s facts, or ER's facts - even if it appears that some people don't understand what 'facts' are, FACTS ARE FACTS, they're beyond dispute - but there are Conway's 'alternative facts' which quite rightly attracted ridicule

Post: #30   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Kwacka wrote:

Good evening Kwacka.

Well, you can keep singing the same old song, of scorn and sarcasm as much as you want but it doesn’t change the fact that’s exactly what it was. A concerted effort of blatant lying by the top tier of government, the civil service, big business and elements of the media (to name a few) aimed at scaring the electorate into voting to stay in the EU. It had the exact opposite effect then as I suspect it ultimately will this time.

Yellowhammer is a worse case contingency planning exercise.

The genie’s out of it’s bottle and it’s never going back.

But you know that of course.

Why was the worst case scenario rubbished 4 years ago, by BJ, Farage, Gove, et al but isn't rubbish now?

Post: #31   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Kwacka wrote:
Why was the worst case scenario rubbished 4 years ago, by BJ, Farage, Gove, et al but isn't rubbish now?

What did you say in response to one of my posts - oh yes - "D'oh!" Wink

Because Project Fear wasn't presented as worse case it was presented as an authoritative and sober assessment of the outcome of a leave vote by the likes of the Treasury, CBI, etc. and broadcast to the UK electorate as such by the Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer.

The paper you try to equate it with is merely one of a range of guesses. This hysteria producing effort - a worst possible outcome. They are chalk and cheese.

I wonder though, whether both were written by the same people? Think Laughing

Post: #32   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Kwacka wrote:

What did you say in response to one of my posts - oh yes - "D'oh!" Wink

Because Project Fear wasn't presented as worse case it was presented as an authoritative and sober assessment of the outcome of a leave vote by the likes of the Treasury, CBI, etc. and broadcast to the UK electorate as such by the Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer.

The paper you try to equate it with is merely one of a range of guesses. This hysteria producing effort - a worst possible outcome. They are chalk and cheese.

I wonder though, whether both were written by the same people? Think Laughing

Much of Project Fear was presented as possibilities, "running the risk", etc that's what I understood, at least but condemned anyway.

I think it likely the worst-case scenarios reported in Project Fear & Operation Yellowhammer were written by the same people - civil servants.

Today BJ reckons it's "sensible precautions".

And yes, I did use the comment 'D'oh' when you said that Bercow was appointed by Brown (something about a desparate act, IIRC) when the Speaker of the House of Commons is voted in by the sitting MPs . He was therefore voted in in 2009, and again in 2017.

His predecessor stood down because he was under attack. Plus ca change, eh?

Post: #33   PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Kwacka wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

MS?

Microsoft?
Multiple Sclerosis?
Master of Science?
Marks & Spencer?
Mississippi?

Member State - I win Wink

Cheers

Steve

Post: #34   PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

As one commentator said...

'Every time you get on a plane you receive a Flight Safety Brief that is based upon a Worst Case Scenario, but having had the briefing, how many people then get off the plane'?

Post: #35   PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
DAC

Worst Case Scenarios are something that all sensible people/companies/organisations base parts of their plans on as to not do so would be reckless. When we planned for Military Operations 95% of training was always based upon a "Worst Case Scenario" much like the Police, NHS and other Emergency Services always prepare for the worst case scenarios. In fact, it was only about two months before the London Bombings in 2005 that in conjunction with the Met Police, The Rescue Services and Ambulance Services that we (the Army in London) had run a weeks worth of full scale worst case scenario planning for a major terrorist incident and can you imagine the public outcry and outrage if we hadn't!

The problem here is that the Anti-Brexit groups are running riot with this and trying to dramatise it to the maximum so as to fuel project fear even more.

As for more Project Fear being debunked...

Caller Who Used To Run Port Of Dover On What No-Deal Brexit Will Really Mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YggHsc0LvyI

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

Steve - SJD wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
Hudswell wrote:

MS?

Microsoft?
Multiple Sclerosis?
Master of Science?
Marks & Spencer?
Mississippi?

Member State - I win Wink

Cheers

Steve

Correct...and that’s a Fact....

Mercury Rising

Post: #37   PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DAC wrote:
Worst Case Scenarios are something that all sensible people/companies/organisations base parts of their plans on as to not do so would be reckless. When we planned for Military Operations 95% of training was always based upon a "Worst Case Scenario" much like the Police, NHS and other Emergency Services always prepare for the worst case scenarios. In fact, it was only about two months before the London Bombings in 2005 that in conjunction with the Met Police, The Rescue Services and Ambulance Services that we (the Army in London) had run a weeks worth of full scale worst case scenario planning for a major terrorist incident and can you imagine the public outcry and outrage if we hadn't!

The problem here is that the Anti-Brexit groups are running riot with this and trying to dramatise it to the maximum so as to fuel project fear even more.

Good to see that you agree with Alistar Darling, when he said ""Project Fear? In fact, it is a reality check. The kind anyone would take before making such an enormous decision in their lives."

I'm just glad about that 350 million a week going to the NHS, the great deal that was made the day after the referendum, the ease with which the UK left the EU, that 80 million Turks haven't arrived in the UK, and all the other promises made by Project Pink Unicorns.

DAC wrote:

If you look hard enough, you'll find someone who will back up your hypothesis - the intelligent way is to find some way of disproving it, if you can't then you know that it holds water at that time.

For example, right-wing loons were promulgating the story that Hitler was a socialist. Shocked

Who did they cite as a leading light in this ridiculous idea? An Australian dentist.

BTW, pity the bloke on LBC ran the port of Dover's customs. Laughing :

"There is an issue on the import side".

Post: #38   PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
DAC

Kwacka wrote:

If you look hard enough, you'll find someone who will back up your hypothesis - the intelligent way is to find some way of disproving it, if you can't then you know that it holds water at that time.

Quite easy to prove then...

‘House prices will plummet’
In May 2016, then-chancellor George Osborne warned leaving the EU could cause a drop in house prices of 18%

The punishment budget
George Osborne claimed that we'd need an immediate emergency budget.

Anna Soubry
Claimed a recession would occur simply by a vote to Leave.

Guest Remoaner Barack Obama
Britain would be at 'the back of the queue' for a US trade deal

Are these lies disproved then?

Post: #39   PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DAC wrote:
Kwacka wrote:

Quite easy to prove then...

‘House prices will plummet’
In May 2016, then-chancellor George Osborne warned leaving the EU could cause a drop in house prices of 18%

UK is still in the EU

DAC wrote:
The punishment budget
George Osborne claimed that we'd need an immediate emergency budget.

Clearly he was wrong.

DAC wrote:
Anna Soubry
Claimed a recession would occur simply by a vote to Leave.

She was wrong.

But everything is going so swimmingly with the economy since the vote, hasn't it?

DAC wrote:
Guest Remoaner Barack Obama

1. this has been repeated by Pompeo.
2. UK will have to accept EU terms if they want a trade deal

DAC wrote:
Are these lies disproved then?

Two have, two are yet to be shown to be true or false.

But you might like this for future reference - tick each one off as it's fulfilled:

Your cut-out-and-keep list of top 19 Brexiteer promises

Post: #40   PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
mouse

DAC wrote:

I agree with that.

But please tell me, why was it that when the Remain camp (if you like) were saying all these things for the past three years it was Project fear and scaremongering by the Remainers.

Now all of a sudden because the latest scenario is put forward by the Pro Brexit Cabinet it is classed as worst case scenario. And by you Military experts as normal practice to be prepared.

Remembering of course you have been at the forefront along with Hudswell and COP of accusing Remainers of using the above scenario
as scaremongering.

Please explain the difference.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat