Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Selling/Exchange rates/Capitol Gains
Selling/Exchange rates/Capitol Gains 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
Da Funk
Pictures: 0

Iím considering putting my villa for sale in Cyprus, Iím a little perplexed into how to get the best rate for selling, particularly with exchange rates. I would like to avoid putting the house sale proceeds into my Cypriot account and then transferring to my U.K. account as Iím sure the banks will offer poor exchange rates and also will want a percentage cut going by all the charges I currently receive.

Are the Cyprus lawyers familiar with that process of paying direct to a U.K. bank account from a property sale? What if itís a international buyer or a Cypriot purchasing? I donít want to be short changed with exchange rates? Anyone got advice on how to sell with exchange rates and a Cypriot, Russian or international purchaser?

Can I bypass any capital gains in cyprus and just pay capital gains tax to the U.K. Inland revenue under the reciprocal tax agreement as Iím currently residing and working in the U.K.?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I would advise not to use a bank either in Cyprus or the UK to handle the currency exchange. Use an FX company as they will give a much better rate than any bank. You will probably not be allowed to send the money straight to their euro account (from your solicitor) for money laundering reasons but the transfer from your euro account in Cyprus to an FX company's euro account should not be expensive. The FX company then does the exchange to GBP and you then do the transfer from their GBP account to yours, again not expensive.
I believe some FX companies guarantee you will not get any bank changes.
We use Currency Fair (https://www.currencyfair.com) but many such companies are recommended if you search on here.
Good luck.
Paul.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
madmum

If you sell to someone from in UK they could pay you in sterling into a UK account. with exchange rate on selling price confirmed on day of sale

we did this when buying our house here. was a pain in being only able to transfer a certain amount with online banking and took a week to pay whole amount. As soon as seller received final payment he rang estate agent to authorise handing over the keys
Re: Selling/Exchange rates/Capitol Gains 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

Da Funk wrote:
Can I bypass any capital gains in cyprus and just pay capital gains tax to the U.K.

In a word - no.

Capital Gains Tax is paid in the country where the gain is made; i.e. Cyprus.

(The double taxation agreement between Cyprus and the UK does not include Capital Gains Tax.)

Regards,

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question